What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

• Todd Greenberg

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Shane Richardson

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Phil Gould

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • John Grant

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Andrew Demetriou

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • John Quayle

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Somebody Else.....Post Who

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just heard a snippet of Greenberg on League Live.

Lord f**king help us.

They were asking him about the future of women's league and when the league will look to replicate the AFLs success.

In response he waffled on along the lines of "we need to know what it will look like. Will it involve NRL clubs?"

It was at this point I shouted "isn't that your f**king job you stupid merkin?!"

And credit to Jess Yates. Normally I just block out her noise and stare at her magnificent melons but she retorted "shouldn't you already know all that?"

Yes, Todd! Yes you f**king should! What the hell do you do all day? And why the f**k does it seem to take a 5-year plan for you and your admin to implement an idea?

Women's league is a great idea and should be up and running next year. But this dullard is still asking rhetorical questions as to how it'll look, rather than actually putting a plan in place.

Useless, insufferable turd!

Its like having Gallop back in charge...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Its like having Gallop back in charge...
gallop.jpg

undertaker

Coach
I just caught Mr Gurr on Sterlo.

Shut up and take my money.

Would be refreshing change to have a man like him in charge.

Interesting how he was honest about his footballing abilities resulting in 5 first grade games but talks about how much he loved and loves the game.

Very good to hear a RL interview without all this "ummmmmmming" and "ahhhhhhhhing" all the time. Not only does he have a strong understanding of how rugby league works at the administrative level (his involvement with the Roosters), but he is one of the most articulate and eloquent in speech I've heard for quite some time.

undertaker

Coach
Oh, I just watched the bit in the interview with him advocated a reduction from teams playing 24 to 22 games.

YES, YES, YEEEEEES! I've been saying that for long time that the regular season has to be reduced, especially if expansion occurs from 16 to 18 teams. I'm not sure if his idea of a conference system would work in an 18 team format; 20 teams would work (5 groups of 4 teams or 4 groups of 5 teams).

But 22 games can easily be obtained from 18 teams:

- 3 groups of 6 teams each.
- Each team plays each other times in their group twice, and once from the other two groups.

i.e. 5 teams x 2 + 12 teams x 1 = 22 games

In a 20 team comp:

- 5 groups of 4 teams each.
- Each team plays each other times in their group twice, and once from the other four groups.

i.e. 3 teams x 2 + 16 teams x 1 = 22 games.

If a 2nd Brisbane team is added to the comp, I'd have Brisbane/Brisbane 2/Gold Coast/North Queensland in one of the groups.

some11

Referee
The only downside to reducing games is you need to make it up somewhere else for the advertisers to cough up the dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greenburg was typical NRL on most questions ie you can't just do it you have to plan for it. Finally someone asked him the obvious question, well why didn't you start planning years ago. At that point he just reverted back to the tried and tested pollie speak of giving the answer you want regardless of the question, in this case it's the jillaroos whenever he gets asked about why we haven't got a plan for an nrl women's comp.

His answer about how we can grow crowds was little better and contained more of the same about new stadiums to every question,

He'd make a good politician!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Oh, I just watched the bit in the interview with him advocated a reduction from teams playing 24 to 22 games.

YES, YES, YEEEEEES! I've been saying that for long time that the regular season has to be reduced, especially if expansion occurs from 16 to 18 teams. I'm not sure if his idea of a conference system would work in an 18 team format; 20 teams would work (5 groups of 4 teams or 4 groups of 5 teams).

But 22 games can easily be obtained from 18 teams:

- 3 groups of 6 teams each.
- Each team plays each other times in their group twice, and once from the other two groups.

i.e. 5 teams x 2 + 12 teams x 1 = 22 games

In a 20 team comp:

- 5 groups of 4 teams each.
- Each team plays each other times in their group twice, and once from the other four groups.

i.e. 3 teams x 2 + 16 teams x 1 = 22 games.

If a 2nd Brisbane team is added to the comp, I'd have Brisbane/Brisbane 2/Gold Coast/North Queensland in one of the groups.

This just limits what you can do in other areas without actually offering much benefit....

For every demand you make on the draw, you need to give something away. I dont see any benefit of limiting ourselves to this regular season conference thing and it would mean losing control of a dozen other factors.

If we were to introduce Conferences, they would need to be focused on the finals; rather than a top 8 from all the teams, break the comp into 4 groups of 4 and have the top 2 of each move on (other something to that effect).

Short of that, the conference idea is pointless...

The only downside to reducing games is you need to make it up somewhere else for the advertisers to cough up the dollars.

Gives a bit more space for internationals and rep matches (a single Origin games gets the same number of viewers as a whole round of NRL so there is a lot of potential for the Roos and others).

Im actually a fan if limiting the NRL salarycap and putting more money into rep payments. You are still rewarding the best players with the biggest paychecks, but much of it will come down to performance and behaviour and we would have the best players fighting for spots rather than bitching about too many rep games...

taipan

Referee
Greenburg was typical NRL on most questions ie you can't just do it you have to plan for it. Finally someone asked him the obvious question, well why didn't you start planning years ago. At that point he just reverted back to the tried and tested pollie speak of giving the answer you want regardless of the question, in this case it's the jillaroos whenever he gets asked about why we haven't got a plan for an nrl women's comp.

His answer about how we can grow crowds was little better and contained more of the same about new stadiums to every question,

He'd make a good politician!

With due respect the AWFUL women's comp, started this year but was only really pushed early last year thereabouts.I doubt long term planning was involved.Although there was lobbying I understand.

Anycase the NRL has the Tarsha Gale cup women's competition in its infancy so that is a plus.It
is in the Big league with a table and results for 9 teams.Greenberg if he had a clue should have mentioned that.He should also have mentioned the womens SOO.

Every sporting CEO,every politician, every company CEO puts a spin on it when there is justified criticism.As if any of them is going to say sh*t we are shagged.

I've been spinning it for decades as to why the Sharks never won a Premiership,now I don't; have to.

I'll hand it to Lara Pitt,she knows how to ask the tough questions and didn't hold back.Good TV journalism.

Emu01

Juniors
I think if the poor Sydney crowds continue after the rain clears up.Greenburg should stand down.

When he started in the job he said he was going to increase crowds,participation numbers and TV viewers.

He has failed miserably in every category and he denies it.

He has actually gone backwards in all areas.

Time for a new CEO. Todd is just a puppet not a strong leader that the league needs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree about him being gallop2. Gallop genuinely looked clueless with no idea what was going on or how to manage it. Greenburg is different, he is managing things but is super conservative and being static is ok for him. He's a less is more type of manager sadly. We are about to head into our second massive tv deal yet seems little will change for the fans or the game despite the massive revenue increases since 2012. We shouldnt be surprised though, he did tell us on day one that he is no visionary.

Have to say I have been surprised at how well gallop is doing with Aleague and Socceroos considering his performance with the nrl.

taipan

Referee
Disagree about him being gallop2. Gallop genuinely looked clueless with no idea what was going on or how to manage it. Greenburg is different, he is managing things but is super conservative and being static is ok for him. He's a less is more type of manager sadly. We are about to head into our second massive tv deal yet seems little will change for the fans or the game despite the massive revenue increases since 2012. We shouldnt be surprised though, he did tell us on day one that he is no visionary.

Have to say I have been surprised at how well gallop is doing with Aleague and Socceroos considering his performance with the nrl.

Correct and Lara Pitt ,virtually admitted it without spelling at Gallop's um ah name.When she noted she mentioned it to the previous admin, and they weren't interested.

taipan

Referee
I think if the poor Sydney crowds continue after the rain clears up.Greenburg should stand down.

When he started in the job he said he was going to increase crowds,participation numbers and TV viewers.

He has failed miserably in every category and he denies it.

He has actually gone backwards in all areas.

Time for a new CEO. Todd is just a puppet not a strong leader that the league needs.

We could have Luigi the Unbelievable as CEO,and the crowds with the weather and crap scheduling would still be p*ss weak.
I would have ripped in ,if we had at least two weeks of fine weather and the crowds were crap.
We had a so so crowd for the Eels v Sharks at ANZ with Bernie Gurr at the helm.People don't give a rats about who is in charge when attending ,they want Comfort,Cover,Congenial scheduling and Convenient transport.The 4 C formula.

LineBall

Juniors
Common sense is a foreign language at NRL HQ. As other has said, there should be a main jersey, and a clash jersey. The Broncos should have been wearing their Maroon jersey last night.

Latest posts