What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 SG Ball / Harold Matts Junior Rep News

Delboy

First Grade
In Matts, agree Illawarra are the dark horse, they turned over Parramatta who were playing a few players down on the day. Newcastle again are the team to beat , understand Parramatta have a number of players coming back in time for the finals, they will be much stronger in a couple of weeks. Still expect Newie to take it out. The nice surprise is the form of Norths and Central Coast , who both are more competitive than in the past

Sharks definitely the favourites in Ball, with the rest chasing them

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths and Newcastle played their R6 catch up game in both grades last night, Knights won comfortably in both.

Only outstanding game left now is R4 Norths v Steelers from memory, which will be replayed next Wednesday at Storey Park in Asquith.

ALX25

Bench
Souths and Newcastle played their R6 catch up game in both grades last night, Knights won comfortably in both.

Only outstanding game left now is R4 Norths v Steelers from memory, which will be replayed next Wednesday at Storey Park in Asquith.

The HM game was close.

I wonder if and when the Tarsha Gale Round 2 game between the Raiders and Panthers will go ahead???

Timmah

Staff member
Being cancelled twice I'd be surprised if it wasn't declared a draw

ALX25

Bench
NSW Under-16s
Head Coach: Brad Fittler
Assistant Coach: Danny Buderus
Development Coach: Scott Jones (Parramatta)

NSW Under-18s
Head Coach: Brad Fittler
Assistant Coach: Danny Buderus
Development Coach: Mark O’Meley (Central Coast)

Stay locked on www.NSWRL.com.au in coming days as we reveal updated squads across these teams.

So who do you think will be named in the squads???

ALX25

Bench
Will be interesting to see the changes to these squads over the weeks ahead.

A few players named with season-ending injuries and one player who has eligibility issues I believe.

ALX25 What's this about Eligibility issues.?

Yes there are a few named with season ending injuries.

Normally these are just squads,Not the final squad. The Finalised squads are named Grand final day of Harold Matthews cup and SG Ball.

ALX25

Bench
ALX25 What's this about Eligibility issues.?

Yes there are a few named with season ending injuries.

Normally these are just squads,Not the final squad. The Finalised squads are named Grand final day of Harold Matthews cup and SG Ball.

Unless there are two players with the same names, then one has represented another state in school rugby league.

Expecting plenty more Knights to be named in the NSW U16 squad if they continue to keep winning.

From my understanding of the rules, You can represent another state in school rugby league & still play origin for Nsw.
As School boys rugby league is only judged where you go to school.
I know Payne Hass plays for Qld Chs u15 & u18 but still plays for Nsw origin. Payne is from Newcastle originally before moving to Qld. Another is Jed Edwards from Parra, But he also originated from Nsw before moving to Qld where he represented Qld Chs u15 before linking up with Parra & now living back in Nsw.
School boy rugby league has no baring on Nsw origin selections.

Same with kids from NZ. They can play Nsw - Qld School boys rugby league & even represent Australia at School boys level.

As for more Knights players being selected, if they continue to play the way they are & go all the way, I have no doubt more will make origin.
There were plenty of kids not in The Origin pathways last year & the year before that were selected in the origin team on GF day.

Timmah

Staff member
Round 8 done. One more round to come, plus the Norths Illawarra game midweek before that.

siv

First Grade
I think we have a few catch up games

Norths v Illawarra U18 and U18

and

Penrith v Canberra TGC

Family Guy

Juniors
HM- Any idea why Manly were scheduled to play Western Sydney academy of sport for a second time last weekend. Doesn't seem fair. They played them in round 3 winning 54-4. Interesting that there is no result listed on NSWRL site.

Timmah

Staff member
I think we have a few catch up games

Norths v Illawarra U18 and U18

and

Penrith v Canberra TGC
Norths v Illawarra is actually scheduled for tomorrow night - CAN v PEN was rescheduled a fortnight ago in Goulburn but got postponed again due to weather. Still no indication it will be played.
HM- Any idea why Manly were scheduled to play Western Sydney academy of sport for a second time last weekend. Doesn't seem fair. They played them in round 3 winning 54-4. Interesting that there is no result listed on NSWRL site.
Postponed according to NSWRL. Not sure if it will be replayed. With the playing them a second time - I remember seeing some comms around the competitions being structured over two seasons, with the number of rounds crossed with the number of teams they aim to have everyone play once but its not totally feasible so there may be times when some teams play 2ce and others not at all over the two seasons.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Raiders/Panthers in TGC abandoned, Manly v WSAS in HMatts i understand was declared a forfeit by Manly.

Illawarra downed Norths in both Ball & Matts last night. Wide open race for the minor prem in Ball but Newcastle look pretty comfy at the top in Matts

siv

First Grade
So many errors on the live NSWRL website

It depends on who is entering the data and if they know how to use the system

What concerns me is not the on the day errors - we all make them

But the lack of post match corrections

Timmah

Staff member
On the NSWRL Live page it has Manly 42 def WSAS 0???
Apologies I had that the wrong way around - correct WSAS forfeited to Manly. So Manly win.

The Tarsha Gale Cup games in question appear to have been declared forfeits as well - but the scores are so bloody odd they've chosen.

siv

First Grade
Apologies I had that the wrong way around - correct WSAS forfeited to Manly. So Manly win.

The Tarsha Gale Cup games in question appear to have been declared forfeits as well - but the scores are so bloody odd they've chosen.

In Junior RL if a forfiet occurs the highest winning margin or score for that round is used

Wonder if that applies here