What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Mc Gregor I believe has the Club at heart. He is committed and passionate.
He basically inherited Price's leftovers and had a hopeless recruiter in Peter
Mulhulland who recruited recycled garbage. Last year we were greatly hampered by the ineptitude of Marshall
and Rein both Price favourites who were flashy but ineffective. How things have changed this year! In 2015 we had a success rate of 50% and last year a success rate of 42%. This year we have a success rate to date of 83% and if we end up with 60% I will be more than happy. If by Round 13 we have won a good majority of games I would extend Mc Gregor by two years only.
Mary has only had two years as Head Coach at NRL level and has had one good year and one bad year followed by a promising start to this year. The recruitment by Price was pathetic and it has taken Mary two years to get a decent squad which still needs a pacey brilliant winger like Walford, Blacklock or Brett Morris. If Mary gets the results he should get the rewards as he knew when he took over it was a monumental task. Bellamy, Cleary and Tony Smith wanted nothing to do with the Club. We now have good training facilities, competent training staff, great team morale and now a solid roster which still is work in progress.
Mary should be judged only on results not prejudices nor the failings of past incubents like Bennett and Price who decimated our player roster and ignored junior development.
Over to you nocturnal Possum. Happy Easter to everyone.

Crush

Coach
no he doesnt. he refuses to promote youth.
Which youth would you like him to promote? Leilua, Dufty, Field? There is a reason why those kids aren't ready for nrl.
He had Hutchinson as his first choice halfback, Host is a regular dragon, Aitken is his first choice centre, he habe Sele a run last week....
Which youth are you referring to?

BennyV

Referee
Mulhulland who recruited recycled garbage. Last year we were greatly hampered by the ineptitude of Marshall
and Rein both Price favourites who were flashy but ineffective. How things have changed this year! In 2015 we had a success rate of 50% and last year a success rate of 42%. This year we have a success rate to date of 83% and if we end up with 60% I will be more than happy. If by Round 13 we have won a good majority of games I would extend Mc Gregor by two years only.
Mary has only had two years as Head Coach at NRL level and has had one good year and one bad year followed by a promising start to this year. The recruitment by Price was pathetic and it has taken Mary two years to get a decent squad which still needs a pacey brilliant winger like Walford, Blacklock or Brett Morris. If Mary gets the results he should get the rewards as he knew when he took over it was a monumental task. Bellamy, Cleary and Tony Smith wanted nothing to do with the Club. We now have good training facilities, competent training staff, great team morale and now a solid roster which still is work in progress.
Mary should be judged only on results not prejudices nor the failings of past incubents like Bennett and Price who decimated our player roster and ignored junior development.
Just a point, did Price also force Mary to pick Benji and Rein for 2 years straight? I mean, he still had McCrone and Hutch on the books, he was the one who chose to select Marshall. Likewise, Rein (and play him for 80 minutes, despite being proven to struggle at that).
He also offered those guys contracts last year and if not for their own narcisism we'd be hamstrung by them still!

His decisions and game plan last year were horrible.

Something has shifted this year, no doubt, but his result thus far should only mean that he's not sent packing mid-year. There are plenty of tests to come. What happens if we lose Vaughan and JDB to SOO? Can we pull it together if we don't complete at such a high level? What do we do if we are down by 10? Or if opposition forwards match our enthusiasm? Can he get the players back up if we lose 2 or more in a row?

This is the same coach who has overseen the 2 worst losing streaks in the clubs history over 2 consecutive years. A good quarter of the season shouldn't wipe that out, there are plenty of unanswered questions.

Como Connection

First Grade
You forgot he also painted the Gym!
That's got to be a big tick when they consider retaining him surely.
Above and beyond his job description .
Just one of the many jobs Mary took upon himself last year, all of which it appears contributed to last year's disaster.
CC

Crush

Coach
Just a point, did Price also force Mary to pick Benji and Rein for 2 years straight? I mean, he still had McCrone and Hutch on the books, he was the one who chose to select Marshall. Likewise, Rein (and play him for 80 minutes, despite being proven to struggle at that).
He also offered those guys contracts last year and if not for their own narcisism we'd be hamstrung by them still!

Something has shifted this year, no doubt, but his result thus far should only mean that he's not sent packing mid-year. There are plenty of tests to come. What happens if we lose Vaughan and JDB to SOO? Can we pull it together if we don't complete at such a high level? What do we do if we are down by 10? Or if opposition forwards match our enthusiasm? Can he get the players back up if we lose 2 or more in a row?

This is the same coach who has overseen the 2 worst losing streaks in the clubs history over 2 consecutive years. A good quarter of the season shouldn't wipe that out, there are plenty of unanswered questions.
I doubt JDB will make SOO unless we are 10 wins from 11 or something.

Nightingale can cover duges with mann on the wing, we can cover frizz with sims and between LAM and Packer we can cover Vaughan.

The big problem would be if McInnes got selected, then we would be screwed.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Benny V, I agree with your thoughts as we have been relying heavily on De Belin, Dugan, Packer, Vaughan and Widdop. Hunt will further give solid support and direction next year.
All we can do is judge Mary on the results that he achieves this year whether they be good or bad.
Last year Marshall should have been replaced by Hutchison or Mc Crone and Rein with Havili or Mc Crone.
Marshall (if not injured) and Mc Crone are both playing NSW Cup this year which is where they should have dwelt all of last year if they were good enough to play for this dual premiership winning team.
CC I agree that last year was a total
disaster and we had a right to be upset
with the Club performance. However if we fluked the premiership this year I am sure that you would agree that Mary would be well placed based on his previous experience to paint the town red ( and white)! By the way Bennett, Price, Doust and/or bloody Robinson should have got off their arses and painted the gym before Mary was installed as coach!

possm

Coach
Correct me if you think I've got this wrong but didn't Mary and Widdop both say that all of the structures were stripped out and the leadership group given the job of coming up with a style of play which they could play to. My view is that the players did not buy into Mary's previous game plans and structures but were forced to comply.

The current playing style is completely different to the last few years and I can't help believing that an outside influence, together with the playing group and Mary have caused the introduction of this style. You can see that the players are very comfortable and confident with this style of play.

Go the mighty Dragons!

MilanDragon

Juniors
It's good the club isn't rushing into any decisions, learning from past mistakes (hopefully)

There's one thing I can't get past, the players all love playing for Mary, they're coming out and giving him a lot of credit, I believe it's because he was 'man' enough to admit it was horrific last year and be open to a new approach, it's a great way to get buy in from your team.

Only time will tell

St Georgio

Juniors
I will be quite happy to see an extension if they win there next four + a bye, that will put us on 20 points happy days.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I doubt JDB will make SOO unless we are 10 wins from 11 or something.

Nightingale can cover duges with mann on the wing, we can cover frizz with sims and between LAM and Packer we can cover Vaughan.

The big problem would be if McInnes got selected, then we would be screwed.

Can't see McInnes getting picked ahead of Wonder Robbie and his replacement at Souths.

On a selfish note, the less of our players selected the better.
My only focus is our team and what works best for us in the run to the finals.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Possum I think that all looks great and that there is a great atmosphere amongst the squad. With another seven wins and two byes we will make
the Final Eight. You are right on the
tactical revamp by consensus which does show an added maturity in the coach to allow this to happen. The Dragons seem to be getting it right on all fronts and all they need to do is to re-sign half-a-dozen key players and add some backline depth.

BennyV

Referee
Benny V, I agree with your thoughts as we have been relying heavily on De Belin, Dugan, Packer, Vaughan and Widdop. Hunt will further give solid support and direction next year.
All we can do is judge Mary on the results that he achieves this year whether they be good or bad.
Last year Marshall should have been replaced by Hutchison or Mc Crone and Rein with Havili or Mc Crone.
Marshall (if not injured) and Mc Crone are both playing NSW Cup this year which is where they should have dwelt all of last year if they were good enough to play for this dual premiership winning team.
CC I agree that last year was a total
disaster and we had a right to be upset
with the Club performance. However if we fluked the premiership this year I am sure that you would agree that Mary would be well placed based on his previous experience to paint the town red ( and white)! By the way Bennett, Price, Doust and/or bloody Robinson should have got off their arses and painted the gym before Mary was installed as coach!
Disagree. He should be judged on his entire tenure as coach, including the aforementioned losing streaks and whatever happens this year, and overall trends.
Hence, it's good that they are holding off on an extension!

possm

Coach
I've got a feeling it's Mage for 2018. If that's the case I can see why it's all being kept quiet. The team is going well and the front office do not want to disturb things.

I hope the Dragons win the GF and Mary goes out a winning coach. It will help with his next job in the ESL.

mickeylane

Bench
Can't see McInnes getting picked ahead of Wonder Robbie and his replacement at Souths.

On a selfish note, the less of our players selected the better.
My only focus is our team and what works best for us in the run to the finals.
No way MCINESS will be picked to debut in Qld - Laurie will go w true and hardened players - little risks hence Farah wil get selected even if he's 2nd choice hooker at club level..

possm

Coach
Farah is playing out of form, Peats has been out injured. McInnes has a good chance but I'd rather he wasn't picked this year. We need him at the Dragons.

Reactions: Qdf

giboz71

First Grade

Agree but we should apply the same logic to our key players as well. Duges and Widdop, as our two highest profile, and highest paid recruits were part of that terrible streak over the past two years as key spine players. Widdop in particular stunk it up pretty much all of 2016.

We're just at the start of the season and we're talking about multi million dollar, long term deals for them both, largely based on 6 games. How many here would have offered Widdop a contract 750k and above at the end of last year?

It's a tough one, but we shouldn't be jumping the gun based on the first 6 games, applies to both players and coaches alike.

BennyV

Referee
Agree but we should apply the same logic to our key players as well. Duges and Widdop, as our two highest profile, and highest paid recruits were part of that terrible streak over the past two years as key spine players. Widdop in particular stunk it up pretty much all of 2016.

We're just at the start of the season and we're talking about multi million dollar, long term deals for them both, largely based on 6 games. How many here would have offered Widdop a contract 750k and above at the end of last year?

It's a tough one, but we shouldn't be jumping the gun based on the first 6 games, applies to both players and coaches alike.
While I agree to an extent (or shouldn't be paying overs to players based on a quarter of a season) both Dugan and Widdop have shown more over their careers than Mary - Widdop as a premiership winner and international, and Dugan and a SOO player. I'd rather them 2 before we worry about Mary.

There's also not going to be anyone chasing Mary!