What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backline for remainder of 2017

emjaycee

Coach
So with the recent need to shift Gutho to 1 and move Taka to 6, does BA go with this for the remainder of the year (assuming we don't see Moses until 2018)?

French is due back in Round 10 (May 14th) and Semi's court case should be decided by then (hearing is set for May 2nd) so it may be that if Semi is gone, Bevan slides onto the left wing and takes his place.

Would we keep Kirisome on the right with Hoffman for the rest of the year or does Taka shift back to centre and Gutho back to 6 and we bring another winger in for Semi?

Option 1:
1. Gutho
2. French
3. Jennings
4. Auva'a
5. Hoffman
6. Taka
7. Norman

Option 2:
1. French
2. Auva'a/Schulte/Faraimo/Folau/Gennings
3. Jennings
4. Taka
5. Hoffman
6. Gutho
7. Norman

Personally, I prefer option 1.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
i really like what gutho has to offer from 1, i hope he takes the opportunity with both hands and makes the position his own before french returns.

Incorrect

Coach
I like Gutho having the opportunity to pop up on both sides of the field, he has shown that he can sniff out chances on both sides and his passing on occasions has been sublime - so for that reason I'd like to see him in either the 1 or the 6. I think he was making a decent fist of playing in the 6 until we had to re-shuffle. Given Gutho won't be in the halves next year, I'm inclined to leave him at FB for the remainder of this year, so it's emjaycee's Option 1 for mine...

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
Think there is an option 3 in play as well:

1. French
2. Leleisiuao/G.Jennings
3. M.Jennings
4. Gutherson
5. Hoffman
6. Takairangi
7. Norman

True but the combination Avua'a and Hoffman are starting to show looks good for mine and I wouldn't look to change it for a debutant necessarily.

Chipmunk

Coach
Surely some options must include Semi. He's as likely to play out the season as what he is to not.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I believe Semi will be with us at least till the end of the season.

strider

Post Whore
I think Guthos play is alot better when he's that little bit wider, as he has been coming in from fullback

I like French and given the chance to develop i think his fullback play would be great, but i feel gutho is maybe a better option

Gronk

Staff member
I think Guthos play is alot better when he's that little bit wider, as he has been coming in from fullback

I like French and given the chance to develop i think his fullback play would be great, but i feel gutho is maybe a better option

Gutho plays a lot like Coote in the 2nd 5/8 roll. Hayne was good at that. French offers that unteachable speed.

I have been very impressed with James Roberts of late and he is burning merkins out there at the moment. Wonder if Bev can ever bulk up enough to become a good defender against the edge forwards ?

IFR33K

Coach
Geez we've convicted semi already? To think we have enough problems now, what if Moses joins in a week or two????

How do we fit all those players in?

Bazal

Post Whore
Gutho plays a lot like Coote in the 2nd 5/8 roll. Hayne was good at that. French offers that unteachable speed.

I have been very impressed with James Roberts of late and he is burning merkins out there at the moment. Wonder if Bev can ever bulk up enough to become a good defender against the edge forwards ?

Roberts is an awful defender so Bev wouldn't have a lot to live up to

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I would drop Matagi.

I would go:

1. French
2. Hoffman
3. Avua'a
4. Jennings
5. Semi ( or if gone Leleisiuao)
6. Gutho
7. Norman
8. Brown
9. Pritchard
10. Mannah
11. Manu
12. Taka
13. Moeroa

14. Scott
15. Edwards
16. Alvaro
17. Vave

Taka could even move to lock with Moeroa at edge. Might sound crazy, but thought Taka looked dangerous on Monday running the ball closer to the ruck.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
brown is doing an amazing job with his ballplay at the line, why would you bother taking that out of his game and making him a 1st/2nd hit battering ram when he isn't?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'd go Gutherson at 1.

I think French needs some time to physically adjust to the NRL still. He's a freak talent, but give him this year on the wing and let him do what he does there, he'll mature and be better for it in the future.

I think Gutherson offers us more defensively at the 1 spot, both as an individual defender, but more importantly in the talk department. Probably also offers more in attack at this stage with his ability to play the ball through the hands.

I would definitely keep Auva'a in the 4 spot - thought he was outstanding on the weekend. Power and strength and speed and the ability to pass it to the open man. Taka offers more value in the 6 jersey.

Latest posts