What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

The Doc

Juniors
Id say if Dugan does go... we'd probably play nighty at FB (wont cost much cap wise) and play Mann on the wing.
Nighty gets some exemption (can someone clarify?) And mann will cost 1/4 of Dugans asking price.
Dont get me wrong id love to keep duges... but if he goes, i can see the club going with nighty at FB for a year to give Field or Dufty time.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Id say if Dugan does go... we'd probably play nighty at FB (wont cost much cap wise) and play Mann on the wing.
Nighty gets some exemption (can someone clarify?) And mann will cost 1/4 of Dugans asking price.
Dont get me wrong id love to keep duges... but if he goes, i can see the club going with nighty at FB for a year to give Field or Dufty time.

Doc
We get long term player exemption of $300000 .
In otherword players who have been there 8season or more.
Next year only nighty and JDB who is up to 8 at except.
Imo

Crush

Coach
I think Dugan is a big game player and has won us a lot of games on his defence alone.
BUT, we are also capable of being a very good football team without Dugan in the team. We have proven that over the years.
I'm in the camp that hopes to keep him but think we can also move forward without him.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I think Dugan is a big game player and has won us a lot of games on his defence alone.
BUT, we are also capable of being a very good football team without Dugan in the team. We have proven that over the years.
I'm in the camp that hopes to keep him but think we can also move forward without him.
Agree. He is a great player but has some glaring deficiencies in his game that makes him not 100% critical for our future success. His signature should not be at the expense of paying overs and weakening several other positions particularly our pack, which has led this resurgence.

Drakon

Juniors
I'm thinking Dugan and Packer will stay. Saints have looked after them both. Dugan seems to have limited opportunities elsewhere for the money. Canterbury will have to shed too many players to fit him in now with Teddy and Woods. All three have the same manager and it was agreed to sort GW and JD first before Packer. I think Packer is happy at the Saints - doing his degree at UOW and his family seemingly settled.

Talking to Gagai could be as a backup in case Duges doesn't sign. He would be an astute pick up though even if Duges does sign. As astute as buying Widdop in the first place.

The team are successful and happy. It would be hard to leave that. I'm more worried about Mann leaving than the others.

Old Timer

Coach
The win ratio without him is not so good and if not for the last 2 games would in fact be appalling so can't agree with the above statement.
No doubt Nighty did a good job last 2 weeks but not so sure how that translates against full strength in form teams.

j0nesy

Bench
I doubt we can afford to keep him if he doesn't sign for close to what's on offer. I thought the writing was on the wall, for either Widdop or Duges to go, when we signed Hunt. We do have some cover for the position in Dufty, Field and Nighty and Mann (if we re-sign him). I still think we should keep Duges if we can. He's one of our best players week in week out.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Can't believe some of the shit on here about Dugan " wouldn't be to fussed if he left " "yeah we'll just replace him with nighty" ...

I'd be paying him what he wants just by the way he puts everything he has forward for this club let alone all his efforts on the field yes we showed faith in him and he has repayed that faith so give the kid what he deserves the guy is a soo and Australian shoe in ffs .

ALSGI

Bench
I've been saying since before this season started we should sign him on overs if necessary, offer him co Capt if that's what it takes.

It's simple, we always play better when he's on the field and that sort of presence money can't buy, coaches can't teach.

His deficiencies are abundantly compensated with his proficiencies and presence.

FFS sign him up, whatever it takes.

BennyV

Referee
Gagai would not be in place of Dugan. More likely, signing him would mean not signing Lafai. Despite Timeoto's form, Gagai is an upgrade.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I've been saying since before this season started we should sign him on overs if necessary, offer him co Capt if that's what it takes.

It's simple, we always play better when he's on the field and that sort of presence money can't buy, coaches can't teach.

His deficiencies are abundantly compensated with his proficiencies and presence.

FFS sign him up, whatever it takes.

Completely agree.

Whatever perceived weaknesses Dugan allegedly has, they are well and truly compensated by his presence and will-to-win attitude.

He is one player who looks as though he WANTS to play for the history of the Dragons.

Sign him up asap.

Belta

Juniors
If there wasn't a salary cap we could ; "sign him up for whatever it takes". If we pay them all a million a season will have 9 first graders and 6 reggies, I'm not sure how that will go. Any promising junior will go elsewhere as they also want long contracts.

With what we have signed to date the budget will be tight but other clubs ie doggies achieve the impossible and who knows having Dugan, Packer and Gagai may not be just a pipe dream, or is it?

Carlton

Juniors
The need for ball playing fullbacks is partly because the role of centre has been changed. They are now more like another set of second rowers and there are not that many that set up their wingers. This is now the role of the fullback chiming into the back line.

I believe good ball running fullbacks still have a place if you have centres who play a more traditional role. This is what Lafai has started to do, Dugan has a unique skill set amongst the current crop of fullbacks, so why not use it.

Belta

Juniors
The loyalty topic is an interesting one IMO, clubs are "gracious" in offering to reform players, and the list is long, I wonder how many average players are 'reformed', the Warriors recent wins have no doubt coincided with the latest 'reformed' player. Fonua Blake has been strong for Many after being sacked by us..we could go on and on...and should these players be indebted to the club and take unders or is it the case that loyalty is a thing of the past in modern sport? Its more likely leaning towards the latter, but I do believe that some long term players players put some weight towards the loyalty towards their respective clubs/team mates/fans when negotiating their contracts but not many, Dugan, probably not, Packer, maybe and who knows with Lafai, the one thing is its their job, it sets them and there families up so I won't judge either way