What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Buck "floppers"

With the player market going crazy the past few months it now seems everyone is pricing themselves as 'top quality" and want to be paid accordingly.

Made me stop and think about chasing top dollar v career development and status.

Plenty of players have left quality teams and gone on to bigger and better things but what about those who chase top dollar and end up with their careers down the toilet.

Let's get a list of those who have gone from hero to zero over the past 20-30 years Dragons or other teams).

Top of my list would actually be ex-Dragon Justin Poore.

Justin was playing in a quality team in 2009, selected for State of Origin and regarded as a tough forward leader. Signs a rich 3 year deal with the Eels, misses a 2010 Premiership ring, zero rep footy and ends up spending time in NSW cup. Career formally down the shitter.

So question, is a rich 3 year deal worth it when potentially you go backwards and then don't have any contract.

List away your "Big Bucks floppers" fellow Dragons fans.

Trent Merrin.

Agree, Merrin had a great first year with the Panthers last year but absolute crap this year.

Seems unfit and carrying extra weight.

Last week his first half stats were 24 minutes for 11 tackles and 3 runs (25m).

I would go as far to say if he was with us this year he would be in jumper number 14.

Life's Good

Coach
Agree, Merrin had a great first year with the Panthers last year but absolute crap this year.

Seems unfit and carrying extra weight.

Last week his first half stats were 24 minutes for 11 tackles and 3 runs (25m).

I would go as far to say if he was with us this year he would be in jumper number 14.
Slightly off theme, but if his numbers were bad then check out those of Tamou. Great indicator as to why the Panthers are well off the pace.

possm

Coach
In 2018 we will have one of the best forward packs in the comp and one of the best halves combo in the comp. A long time since that has been the case.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Robbie Farah. But that's a whole other situation I guess.
For the tigers yes.
Considering that souths are reportedly only paying a quater of his contract, essentially we are paying him the equivalent of a back up hookers wage, then you could say we are actually getting value out of him.

Latest posts