What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

possm

Coach
The offer to Dugan is 830k 4years
I'd say if he is not in a hurry to sign a deal like that, then take the deal off the table and sign someone else. Tedesco officially was signed for only 700k, who does Duguan think he is?

Last edited:

SaintHarry

Juniors
I'd day if he is not in a hurry to sign a deal like that, then take the deal off the table and sign someone else. Tedesco officially was signed for only 700k, who does Duguan think he is?

700k plus 3rd party which would see him him over a million a season it's all about moving numbers around to make it look your under the cap

possm

Coach
700k plus 3rd party which would see him him over a million a season it's all about moving numbers around to make it look your under the cap
And the NRL know nothing and don't want to know nothing! If it is not the Roosters Club, who arranges these TPAs for them? Our club should find out and do the same or make it an agenda item at the next CEO's meeting and whip all the non-TPA clubs into calling for an independent investigation. Clearly the NRL are unwilling to manage the competition in a fair way.

rasaint

Juniors
I have said it before and now again.

Josh is not an elite player. He is a good player who runs hard and defends well. Occasionally makes a break and a long run but normally reeled in quickly due to lack of high end speed. I believe he still lives off the prodigious talent of 5years ago. He is now not as effective as then. Please at $830k? I'd pay Tedesco that however, and a bit more.

Full marks to Josh for nailing that kick on the weekend. However, every week players kick conversions from the sideline. Every week players on half the money Josh wants score great trys, some from a long way out. The increasing criticised on this forum Nene Mc scored an amazing powerhouse try from 20 out on the weekend to set the final kick up. Hardly a mention of credit on the forum to Nene. Yet if that was Josh and not Nene many posters on here would be saying 'sign him ' ' pay him the $1 million Doust' ' hurry up the Dogs will sign him' blah blah.

For the record I am not against Josh, he is a good NRL player and brings a bit of character to the team. But many with rose coloured glasses on here. Let Josh go and invest in keeping Lafai (now at his best) and pick up a faster and more creative up and coming fullback.

Still I acknowledge many would disagree.

ALSGI

Bench

Josh is not an elite player. He is a good player who runs hard and defends well. Occasionally makes a break and a long run but normally reeled in quickly due to lack of high end speed. I believe he still lives off the prodigious talent of 5years ago. He is now not as effective as then. Please at $830k? I'd pay Tedesco that however, and a bit more.

Full marks to Josh for nailing that kick on the weekend. However, every week players kick conversions from the sideline. Every week players on half the money Josh wants score great trys, some from a long way out. The increasing criticised on this forum Nene Mc scored an amazing powerhouse try from 20 out on the weekend to set the final kick up. Hardly a mention of credit on the forum to Nene. Yet if that was Josh and not Nene many posters on here would be saying 'sign him ' ' pay him the $1 million Doust' ' hurry up the Dogs will sign him' blah blah.

For the record I am not against Josh, he is a good NRL player and brings a bit of character to the team. But many with rose coloured glasses on here. Let Josh go and invest in keeping Lafai (now at his best) and pick up a faster and more creative up and coming fullback.

Yep, disagree mate, with your views on Duges.

That 'bit of character' he brings to the team is called leadership , proven skill and inspiration. Opposition coaches, players and fans respect him. Some fear him.

Agree about Nene, I posted about the lack of talk on his herculean try the other day. He needs to make better decisions in defence and which high balls to grab at.

Agree about Lafai at the best form we've seen him in and probably improving with confidence. Hope we keep him (although I couldn't wait to see him gone not long ago).

If we had to lose Lafai to keep Dugan, I'd be saddened but comfortable that the right choice was made.

possm

Coach

I can see your point; you made it very well.

Could you please give me a few players who are available, cheaper and better than Dugan. I am sure Millward reads this forum and so it might point him in the right direction.

giboz71

First Grade

Yep, good post mate and I agree with you.

Dugan is a very good player, but certainly not the elite player some on this forum make out. I'd love to have him in the team at the right price, but not at the expense of losing others. For instance if we kept Duges and lost Lafai and Packer, would we be a better team? Or could we cover Duges with Nighty, Field or Mann at FB, keep Lafai and Packer and still be very good? I vote the latter.

I have mentioned previously, the 2 weeks he was out our attack looked much more potent, 35 points against Manly, 28 in 1 half against the Cows. he comes back against the Chooks, and we're back to being clunky. No coincidence there. He just stifles the attack from FB. Great individual player, but he can't ignite an attack.

And to be brutally honest, paying close to $1m for a non creative spine player is madness.

Gareth67

First Grade
The offer to Dugan is 830k 4years

Should that offer be correct , then Duges must now realise that he can not squeeze the Dragons for any more dollars , as that is it . The 4 years is also , imo ,a good term . It is still a year shy of what he originally wanted , but hey , there must be bit of give and take on both sides .

He needs to make his decision as quickly as possible , as this has been dragging on for just too long . Should he knock back the Dragons offer , well the club shall not only survive but move forward in years to come .

It would however, be tremendous if Josh was there also .

GC Dragon

Juniors
Yep, good post mate and I agree with you.

Dugan is a very good player, but certainly not the elite player some on this forum make out. I'd love to have him in the team at the right price, but not at the expense of losing others. For instance if we kept Duges and lost Lafai and Packer, would we be a better team? Or could we cover Duges with Nighty, Field or Mann at FB, keep Lafai and Packer and still be very good? I vote the latter.

I have mentioned previously, the 2 weeks he was out our attack looked much more potent, 35 points against Manly, 28 in 1 half against the Cows. he comes back against the Chooks, and we're back to being clunky. No coincidence there. He just stifles the attack from FB. Great individual player, but he can't ignite an attack.

And to be brutally honest, paying close to $1m for a non creative spine player is madness.
I enjoy reading your posts and agree with a lot of what you say but disagree with some points in this one . How is a current Australian Test player not a elite player ? . I would think playing for your country is about as elite as it comes .
The names you have mentioned as Fullbacks can't hold a candle to Dugan in that position . Nighty wouldn't have the legs to play a full season there . If Dugan leaves we will need to go to market for a Fullback or we will just move the problem we had with no Half to another spine position .
I really hope Packer and Lafai can be sorted for next year but not at the expense of losing our Fullback and a current international .

giboz71

First Grade
I enjoy reading your posts and agree with a lot of what you say but disagree with some points in this one . How is a current Australian Test player not a elite player ? . I would think playing for your country is about as elite as it comes .
The names you have mentioned as Fullbacks can't hold a candle to Dugan in that position . Nighty wouldn't have the legs to play a full season there . If Dugan leaves we will need to go to market for a Fullback or we will just move the problem we had with no Half to another spine position .
I really hope Packer and Lafai can be sorted for next year but not at the expense of losing our Fullback and a current international .

All good mate. That's what this forum is about to share opinions and you make some good points.

Again, we need to look from the lens of the overall team, not what we might lose or gain from one position. You're right, none of those guys can necessarily replace Dugan, but by keeping him, are we weaker overall? Not sure what the answer is to be honest, but I thought the 2 weeks without him gave us a glimpse. We seemed to do ok against Manly and the Cows. And long term, I'm sure we can do much better than Nighty if we went to market. If our offer is 800k plus, we will have plenty to offer someone else.

I actually hope he stays, he loves the club and you can't ignore his passion. We just need to be open to all options.

DF4E

Juniors
For what it is worth Graeme Hughes took great pleasure today passing on his mail that Dugan has signed with the Dogs and during the cooling of period the Dragons upped their offer but Dugan knocked it back and will be leaving. I don't rate Hughes so not sure how true this might be.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Agree with a lot of what has been said above, Dugan is a very good player but he is not an elite. He oozes leadership and toughness, but if we're being honest with ourselves, he is not up there with some of the best of the competition in his position/s. 800k+ per season is definitely overs. I would love to keep him however, let that be known.

If Dugan does sign with the Dogs, I would say that the club will make a big play for Gagai. It's looking increasingly like the club want to play Field as a fullback next year. Obviously the decision will be up to the head coach (which is looking like Mary at this point), but if Millward had his way I would definitely say Field will get the shot due to the fact that they were looking for a "strong centre" rather than a fullback to replace Dugan or take his place if he moved to centre.

ALSGI

Bench
For what it is worth Graeme Hughes took great pleasure today passing on his mail that Dugan has signed with the Dogs and during the cooling of period the Dragons upped their offer but Dugan knocked it back and will be leaving. I don't rate Hughes so not sure how true this might be.
Thanks mate ruined my afternoon !!!

For what it's worth, I've said a lot of good things about Duges and stand by them all. Pay him overs, make him co Capt.

But if he has signed for the Grubs or Tigers then I was wrong and he's a worthless piece of shit, waste of money leech, and he can't kick and he's injury prone the dirty f**ker.
Just saying....