What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin in Townsville - Game 3 in NSW a "Financial disaster"

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Queensland Rugby League is lobbying its national bosses to host State of Origin matches in Townsville, once its new stadium is built.

QRL Chairman Bruce Hatcher said he would urge for two matches to be held in Queensland, including one in Townsville when the stadium was complete in 2020.

Mr Hatcher said New South Wales crowds diminished when third matches had already been won.

"Last year's third State of Origin really was financially a disaster for the NRL because the series was already over and I think a lot of the tickets were given away," he said.

"Queensland fans can't get enough of Origin."

PHOTO: The stadium design was inspired by the Pandanus tree. (Supplied: Queensland Government)
Mr Hatcher said the 25,000-seat stadium may be small but capacity should not be the only consideration in choosing venues.

"I don't think every decision is a business case," he said.

"I just think it's part of the development and loyalty of the game to take it to where the fans and the stakeholders are.

"North Queensland is a really important area for rugby league. It's produced a lot of great players.

Matches have been previously held in Melbourne and future fixtures are planned for Perth.

"It's interesting to take a game somewhere where they have no interest or no knowledge, but they turn up because they consider it entertainment," Mr Hatcher said.

"Whereas you've got a very hardcore and a very broad base in north Queensland."

The National Rugby League is yet to decide the schedule for the 2020 season.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-02/townsville-state-of-origin-plan-for-2020/8488474

Oh dear. Dem fighting words tho. Home of Rugby League argument, readygo.

Pommy

Coach
A financial disaster? Sure it didn't sell out but would playing the game in a 25000 seater stadium be better financially? Even if tickets were given away I find it hard to believe they didn't sell 25,000
Plus the freebies would have then spent money in the ground.
I'm not a financial expert but something about that doesn't ring true.

SBD82

Coach
A financial disaster? Sure it didn't sell out but would playing the game in a 25000 seater stadium be better financially? Even if tickets were given away I find it hard to believe they didn't sell 25,000
Plus the freebies would have then spent money in the ground.
I'm not a financial expert but something about that doesn't ring true.
That, and the fact that origin's major revenue stream is through broadcast rights, which are determined prior to knowing that the series is a "dead rubber".

davi

Juniors
2016 State of Origin Game 3 Attendance: 61,267

I'm a Queenslander and the "financial disaster" comment I view as a nice try but no cigar. A 25 000 stadium is not big enough for origin and the case to take it to Townsville is weak considering it's staunch Rugby League territory up there and hardly will grow the game that taking it to Melbourne and Perth would do. Not a bad suggestion but if I was the NRL it would be a resounding NO.

LineBall

Juniors
If the Cowboys had a stadium that could hold 40K, I think it would be great. However, having such a big game in a relatively small stadium would be a backwards step IMO.

T-Boon

Coach
It is a good idea to move dead rubber games.
But why would a dead rubber NSW home game go to Nth Qld? They could move it to Newcastle and the town would go mad. Take Qld dead rubber games where ever you like.
I think game three should be open to bidding from other cities.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Nsw game 3s

2002- decider- 74k
2004- decider- 82k
2008- decider- 78k
2010- dead rubber- 61k
2013- decider- 83k
2016- dead rubber- 62k

Sydney has only had 6 game 3s in the last 15 years. Qld has had 8 and Melbourne 1.

Taking a game 3 to Townsville is stupid on a number of grounds. The biggest is that even at capacity Townsville will be 35k short of sydneys lowest crowd.
Second is that state of origin is a huge event. It takes planning, to take it to a small region on short notice would be a logistical nightmare.
Thirdly, what if new south wales wins the first 2 games. Do you take the third game off them then.? What if new south wales wins the first 2 games and the third is in Queensland?

This is as dumb as a bloke claiming to bleed maroon without knowing who Jason smith is or a Broncos supporter claiming broncos will win the war after losing a grand final

QLD enjoys kicking the Blues at Origin time a trillion times more than any division of the state. Succession simply isn't a topic of interest.
Don't bring up Katter. He is a politician. Like all politicians, he'll say anything to gain himself power. Palaszczuk is playing the same game.

King hit

Coach
QLD enjoys kicking the Blues at Origin time a trillion times more than any division of the state. Succession simply isn't a topic of interest.
Don't bring up Katter. He is a politician. Like all politicians, he'll say anything to gain himself power. Palaszczuk is playing the same game.

I sometimes wonder if any of these politicians would even know anything about Rugby League to begin with. Watching Turnbull talk footy with Gavin Cooper was just embarrassing to watch.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
I sometimes wonder if any of these politicians would even know anything about Rugby League to begin with. Watching Turnbull talk footy with Gavin Cooper was just embarrassing to watch.

Judy Spence minister for sport and Minister for justice (at the same time) seemed to know plenty about the Broncos when she swept the Alhambra lounge incident under the carpet

davi

Juniors
Brisbane struggling to sell out the first origin. It's not likely from a lack interest, it's more due the greedy QRL forgetting rugby league was originally a working class game and charging prices so astronomical that only judges, doctors, and CEO's can only go.

"THE hottest tickets in town have gone cold with the prospect Wednesday night’s State of Origin series opener at Suncorp Stadium may not sell out.

The NRL is scrambling to sell thousands of tickets for the game’s showpiece event.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg last night remained confident the 52,500-seat stadium would be full for Game One despite speculation less than 45,000 tickets had been sold.

There are fears the Maroons could run out at The Cauldron in front of spare seats, a rare scenario in recent years.

The NRL was last night sending text messages to fans alerting them to buy tickets from $87 for adults up to $273.

Greenberg said ticket sales were on track compared with previous years.

“It’s pretty much in line with every other Origin we’ve had here in the last three or four years,” he said.

“In the last 48 hours we sell a lot of tickets.

“I’m very confident when I walk in on Wednesday night it will be a full house.”

The Maroons have never run out in front of a crowd of fewer than 50,000 since the Suncorp Stadium redevelopment was completed in 2003.

In 2014, only 50,155 turned out for the Game Three dead-rubber when NSW had already won the series. In 2013 there was a crowd of 51,690 for the only game in Brisbane.

There was not a spare seat in the house when Queensland trounced NSW 52-6 in the 2015 decider.

The NRL’s ticketing strategy is to sell out as close to kick-off as possible, ensuring they are able to collect a premium price for their No. 1 product.

Tickets have been discounted in recent years for games at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium but Greenberg said that would not happen in Brisbane.

“We’ve got a pretty diligent strategy on how to sell out Origin,” he said.

“I understand why people will always look at our ticket price strategy.

“In saying that, this event is one of the biggest in the country.

“We have to find the balance between affordability for families, which is clearly at the top of our agenda, and also ensure we generate enough income to do things like pay players and invest in grassroots.

“I don’t think we’ll have a problem selling out, I really don’t.

“Everything that tracks in our ticket sales data and strategy tells me we’ll be very close to a sell out.”

Expensive tickets and the fact there is two games in Brisbane this year for the first time since 2014 are believed to be the primary reasons for slow sales.

Animosity between the teams is also seemingly lower than in recent years following the representative retirement of controversial Blues captain Paul Gallen.

Gallen’s replacement, Boyd Cordner, yesterday apologised to the media for not making inflammatory comments about Queensland.

“There is normally something that comes out to hype it up,” he said.

“That’s just not my style. I’ve got a lot of respect for Queensland.

“I’ve got no punchlines for you today, I’m sorry.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/44a1cb2cd2f5884d029caae4fa10f20b

I will write that I hugely respect Laurie Daley and now Boyd Cordner for their reluctance to stoop to inflammatory media releases.

It won't hinder their chances on Wednesday.

beave

Coach
Im as Townsville as they come, but hosting an Origin in my home town is absolute lunacy in a stadium that will hold 25k. Play it in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne. NQ is a league heartland, you don't gain much really by playing it up there, other than losing a bit of coin due to the lower capacity stadium.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
NSW need to give them a little off the field. After losing so many we have to give it on and off the field. People also like drama.

ALX25

Bench
If the Adani mess continues to be stalled look for the new Townsville Stadium to be built sooner as an election is on the horizon.

beave

Coach
If the Adani mess continues to be stalled look for the new Townsville Stadium to be built sooner as an election is on the horizon.

It's already been promised, designed and prelim earthworks about to start. Adani stalling isn't going to hasten the build process mate. Whatever pork barrelling the stadium has had for state labor will have already had it's effect on the voting populace.

The biggest issue in Tvl now is the lack of water. A bit of rain saved them last week (dam went from 16% -> 22%). The council were on the verge of having to pump water from the Burdekin to help supply the Ross dam. I believe every day they have to pump water it costs the rate payers $35k-ish. Solutions to that will get the state gov re-elected.