What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules Suggestions

zombie jesus

Staff member
If you think a rule should be changed or modified, this is the place to do it.

Rule changes will generally be looked at between seasons.

nick87

Coach
I was thinking is there a way to make it so teams can trade a player and part of the negotiation might be to eat the bonus

Example:

Team A has 2 QBs
Aaron Rodgers $20,000 - B --> $16,000 Cap hit (2 year deal)
Derrick Carr $17,000 - B --> $13,600 Cap Hit (4 year deal)

Team A decides to trade Rodgers, but no one wants him at the 20k value. You should be able to negotiate (so long as everyone has the cap space to do so) where you might trade Rodgers @ the 16k cap hit to another team (who then accept him as a straight contract @ 16k), and you eat the 4k of remaining bonus and free up 12k

I look at it with AusRKO, he wants to move Gronk, if he assigned him a 2 year deal and was willing to eat the 8 of cap space, id be more willing to trade him and take the 2 years @ 32k

Is this just too complicated? Is it even possible? I just think that would be really awesome

kurt faulk

Coach

as discussed before.

there should be 6 points for any return tds from punts and kickoffs. something to think about for this season or next.

also, offensive fumble recoveries for tds should be 6 points as well. i think this one could be implemented this season. nobody drafts players due to their fumble recovery ability leading to a td.

thank you.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Fully guaranteed contract to only apply until the end of the UFA period instead of the whole off season for players won.

Look into a different nominating set up so everyone gets a window to nominate if they want it.

Targeted renegotiation, where you can nominate one player each off season from another team to go up for renegotiation. Limit to one nomination per owner and only one player per team so nobody gets smashed. This could kind of mirror a hold out situation and adds some spice to the off season.

kurt faulk

Coach
Fully guaranteed contract to only apply until the end of the UFA period instead of the whole off season for players won.

could you expand on this one. i haven't quite worked out how all of this is gonna play out yet once the season starts.

Look into a different nominating set up so everyone gets a window to nominate if they want it.

definitely. everyone should get a small window to nominate a player and once that time expires it will open up for anyone to nominate. i don't know if that's 5 mins, 10 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour. maybe 10 mins?

Targeted renegotiation, where you can nominate one player each off season from another team to go up for renegotiation. Limit to one nomination per owner and only one player per team so nobody gets smashed. This could kind of mirror a hold out situation and adds some spice to the off season.

that's a definite no from me. if someone was smart enough or lucky enough to get what turns out to be a good player on the cheap, best of luck to them. they shouldn't be punished for their good fortune.

nick87

Coach
Yeah i think the renegotiation should only come in house per team. Reward good ownership

zombie jesus

Staff member
Remove the contract cap.

Allow years to be assigned to in-season pick ups. Maybe just players won through the blind bidding process rather than FCFS.

Look at getting rid of straight/bonus contracts and have cap hits be a certain percentage for everyone (this is mainly for my benefit as the league site can do this automatically, the bonus/straight set up requires manual checking/input for each transaction). Owners could have the option of rolling the cap hit forward or keeping it in the current year.

Keep the minimum $1000 contract but relax the min $500 increments for in-season blind bidding. Off season FA would stick to the current set up.

kurt faulk

Coach
Allow years to be assigned to in-season pick ups. Maybe just players won through the blind bidding process rather than FCFS.

Look at getting rid of straight/bonus contracts and have cap hits be a certain percentage for everyone (this is mainly for my benefit as the league site can do this automatically, the bonus/straight set up requires manual checking/input for each transaction). Owners could have the option of rolling the cap hit forward or keeping it in the current year.

Keep the minimum $1000 contract but relax the min $500 increments for in-season blind bidding. Off season FA would stick to the current set up.

those are all great suggestions. but i think any in season pickups should be able to assigned years.

we'd have to go through the contract cap and ramifications more thoroughly i think. could you expand on it's effect on the league?

zombie jesus

Staff member
Right now, any in season pick up (blind bidding or FCFS) is an auto 1-year straight contract.

I'd only apply assigning years to blind bidding because FCFS is as the name says, anyone who's online when the clock clicks over has the advantage, whereas everyone has a chance to pick up guys through the blind bid process.

Looking at getting rid of the contract cap completely and just having the individual 5-year limit. It was only in place to have some order to the big initial draft so we didn't have the entire league on long term deals and not much FA action in the years following.

zombie jesus

Staff member

I'm keen to do this as it makes managing the league a bit easier.

1. I don't need to adjust anything when players are signed except for years. Right now, I have to get contract status from you guys, input years, calculate the bonus, input the adjusted salary and bonus.

2. Cutting a player is easier as everyone is the same flat rate, I would just need to amend the salary adjustment to reflect our 20/80 split rule on in-season cap hits. Right now when someone is cut I need to check what contract they had, calculate the cap hit, and input the salary adjustment.

The difficulty is reconciling bonus and straight contracts so the way each team's cap is sitting at the moment is still relatively the same.

It's a headscratcher and I need to look into it more.

Mjp81

Juniors
I actually like having a maximum amount of contract years as it adds another dimension to the planning process. It also will help with evening out the teams on a more constant basis as players come off contract more regularly.

nick87

Coach
I actually like having a maximum amount of contract years as it adds another dimension to the planning process. It also will help with evening out the teams on a more constant basis as players come off contract more regularly.

I think once we are 2-3 seasons deep, that'll look after itself
But i dont think it's a huge deal either if we keep the contract years

zombie jesus

Staff member
Should have the questionnaire out today or Monday. Just looking at the contract change stuff to see if I can make it work.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Ok... so what I am thinking is we do away with bonus contracts. Any player on a straight contract of $2000 or more gets their salary reduced by 20% so their base salary is the same as bonus contracts.

It doesn't change too much cap wise as most straight contracts are small ones. @legend gets the biggest advantage because they weren't engaging with the process properly last season in applying contracts (there are repercussions to this to discuss later).

So what we will end up with is everyone on a simple contract of years/amount. Any drop will incur a cap penalty that the league site will automatically calculate and apply to your cap (most likely 20% of salary * years). Then all I will have to do is adjust that cap hit throughout the season to reflect our 20/80 rule.

Any cap hits or moves up until now will be able to be reversed it an owner wants.

This would nullify the rule suggestion of trading cap hits as cap hits would only apply when a player is dropped.

This will all go to a vote which I should get out this afternoon,

kurt faulk

Coach

great work zombie.

i like eliminating contract year cap. the onus now comes on each individual owner on how much he wants to keep a player. would be stupid to keep a player on good money 5 years if you're not sure about him. the cap hit would be crazy if he busts. just like the nfl, lower round rookies are easy to stick because of low income but you better pick right in the 1st round, especially if you put 5 years on them.

zombie jesus

Staff member
5 responses, good stuff, plus my own thoughts, should be done over the weekend. I'll work on updating the rules and league site to reflect any changes next week.

nick87

Coach

great work zombie.

i like eliminating contract year cap. the onus now comes on each individual owner on how much he wants to keep a player. would be stupid to keep a player on good money 5 years if you're not sure about him. the cap hit would be crazy if he busts. just like the nfl, lower round rookies are easy to stick because of low income but you better pick right in the 1st round, especially if you put 5 years on them.

Yep, agreed
It was needed for the opening year so thr FA pool had some legitimate players in it in the first 5 years but from here on out I reckon it's open slather

If people give everyone 5 years so be it, and when they want to cut them a year latter they're banged

zombie jesus

Staff member
Everything is going through. Only 50/50 call was the trading/keeping of bonuses but that doesn't matter now with the simpler contract set up.

I'll get everything sorted on the rules/league site next week, then we'll move on to the next step.

Latest posts