What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possm's Whiteboard

possm

Coach
One would assume we are under the cap in 2017. So in 2018 we have the players on our roster today + approximately an extra 2m due to rise in the cap.

2m less what's already been spent for 2018
-900k - Hunt Millward has said he contract price is well below 1m - 1.1m left
-200k Widdop upgrade - 1.7m left
-100k Thompson upgrade 1.6m left
-100k De Belin upgrade 1.5m left
-100k Lawrie new contract 1.4m left

So who to keep and who to let go? Please try and balance our cap by estimating the salary for each player. I'll go first and you can follow with your own input. Please feel free to change players and player's salaries as you see fit. Mine are only an estimate.

Balance to spend so far is +1.4m

Immediately Extend: Balance 1.4m
- 800k Dugan 550k left
- 600k Packer 0 left

Let Go: Balance 0.00
Faifai Loa 150k 150k left
Glymin 100k 250k left
Dodd 100k 350k left
Havili 150k 450k left
Marketo 150k 600k left
Mosoe 250k 800k left
Mathews 200k 1m left
McCarthy 150k 1.1m left
McCrone 200k 1.3m left
Nona 150k 1.45m left
I Thompson 100k 1.55m left
Hind 100k 1.65m left

Extend: Balance 1.65m
Hutchison 150k 1.55m left
Lafai 350k 1.2m left
Mann 350k 850k left
Milne 300k 550k left

Baclance 550k

So we get to keep all our good players including juniors already signed and still have 550k to play with.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Exactly. Whilst I appreciate the time you've put into this Possm, the figures you are basing your arithmetic on are pure speculation.
Please feel free to change players and player's salaries as you see fit. Mine are only an estimate.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
You've based your figures on the assumption that the salary cap will rise by approximately $2 million yet completely disgregarded that existing contracts will have clauses that their salaries increase on par with the cap...

giboz71

First Grade
Too difficult to work out on a year by year basis.

Some players have contracts front loaded, some back ended so not as simple as just assuming their average yearly contract is what goes on the books for a given year.

mobels

Juniors
Every single person you let go has to be replaced in the top 25, And next year another 5 players have to be added to the top 25.

So every $$ saved letting go has to have $85k subtracted at the minimum. I also wouldn't be suprised if a lot of our players contracts where front loaded this year as we pretty much had a war chest to spend last year on a halfback.

It's too hard to estimate how much money we have spare on the salary cap, as there is a huge amount of variables that have to be taken into account

possm

Coach
You've based your figures on the assumption that the salary cap will rise by approximately $2 million yet completely disgregarded that existing contracts will have clauses that their salaries increase on par with the cap...
If you have alternate figures or information that differs with Possm's whiteboard please feel free to share it and I will adjust by editing my initial post.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Every single person you let go has to be replaced in the top 25, And next year another 5 players have to be added to the top 25.

So every $$ saved letting go has to have $85k subtracted at the minimum. I also wouldn't be suprised if a lot of our players contracts where front loaded this year as we pretty much had a war chest to spend last year on a halfback.

It's too hard to estimate how much money we have spare on the salary cap, as there is a huge amount of variables that have to be taken into account

Well said mobels.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
If you have alternate figures or information that differs with Possm's whiteboard please feel free to share it and I will adjust by editing my initial post.

I just did. As the salary cap increases so will existing contract $$$. For example, if the salary cap increases 10% then then contracts will increase 10%. A $2 million dollar increase doesn't automatically equate to $2 million dollars free to play with.

Also consider that a number of our players may receive rep bonuses in their contracts as well. Vaughan, DeBelin, McInnes are all potential Blues bolters this year, while Packer has already been recalled into the NZ test side.

possm

Coach

Yes, I understand what you are saying e.g. Dodd is going and Garrick is taking his place and a junior outside the cap is taking Garrick's place. Both Garrick and Dodd are on 100k so no change to the 2018 figure.

Millward has signed most of our bright young players for 2017 and 2018; the excepting being Lawrie who was signed for 2018 but not in the top 30 player list.

My post is a first attempt and I did say I welcome amendments from members. Please details your concerns by name and salary and I will edit the list.

possm

Coach
Too difficult to work out on a year by year basis.

Some players have contracts front loaded, some back ended so not as simple as just assuming their average yearly contract is what goes on the books for a given year.
Yes I understand however, without the exact figures, the best we can do on this forum is to assume the average annual figure.

possm

Coach
I just did. As the salary cap increases so will existing contract $$$. For example, if the salary cap increases 10% then then contracts will increase 10%. A $2 million dollar increase doesn't automatically equate to $2 million dollars free to play with.

Also consider that a number of our players may receive rep bonuses in their contracts as well. Vaughan, DeBelin, McInnes are all potential Blues bolters this year, while Packer has already been recalled into the NZ test side.
Do you have a link detailing this policy? I was of the understanding this applies to the minimum salary bracket only.

Latest posts