What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possm's Whiteboard

BennyV

Referee
When possm starts posting salary cap calculations...
14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Thers is a hell of a lot of supposition and guesstamation being used.
We really dobt know what salaries are paid to players currently, we aren't privy to the finite details of their contracts, such as back-ended or even those who have options included.
The only think we know fir sure is that there is an offer on the table for Dugan. We really don't know if we have tabled an offer to Packer as yet. Maybe we have, maybe we haven't.
There is a lot more involved with just offering a deal. Players employ managers to do everything for them they are the ones Millward and Co have to deal with not the player in the majority of cases.
You cant make a player sign and wether we offered a deal to anyone at the start of the year or last month or last week, it doesn't guarantee they are going to sign, the same apllies to any deal offered in the future.
Saying we wont re-sign player X and we will sign player Y isn't practicle as ww need to really cover off basicalky 2 NRL squads given the changes to be made to the ISP comp and the demoting of the U20's to a local comp (rathee than National). Hence why we focuaed on re-signing and securing our juniors. To which Millward and Co have done a great job with.
Yes there are players that we will let go and there will be those who ask to be let go, but really we cant determine who those will be as some may serve a purpose as a suitable back-up and some may seek a better offer elsewhere.
I know its frustrating for some that we havent acquired the signature of certain players, howevwr, this haa only become a spotlighted issue due to our great start to the season. Would we even having this thread or some others if we were sitting, as predicted, at the foot of the table. In fact some would be screaming to let them go.
We need to let things play out. Contracts are tricky and not as simple as we would imagine and,as I said, we cannot force someone to sign.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm impressed Possm. But if we get an extra $2M in the salary cap, and give $900k to Hunt plus an extra $200k to Widdop etc, doesn't that mean there is only an extra $600k to distribute, NOT the $1.4M you are considering.

Minimum wage for the top 25 players is $80k, and I assume Marketo, Nona, Hutch maybe will be on the minimum. So that bunch of players you want to let go may not be worth as much as you think. On the plus side Packer will be on at least $100k so you only need to find another $500k for him.

Must stop now, brain going foggy . . .

Drakon

Juniors
One would assume we are under the cap in 2017. So in 2018 we have the players on our roster today + approximately an extra 2m due to rise in the cap.

2m less what's already been spent for 2018
-900k - Hunt Millward has said he contract price is well below 1m - 1.1m left
-200k Widdop upgrade - 1.7m left
-100k Thompson upgrade 1.6m left
-100k De Belin upgrade 1.5m left
-100k Lawrie new contract 1.4m left

So who to keep and who to let go? Please try and balance our cap by estimating the salary for each player. I'll go first and you can follow with your own input. Please feel free to change players and player's salaries as you see fit. Mine are only an estimate.

Balance to spend so far is +1.4m

Immediately Extend: Balance 1.4m
- 800k Dugan 550k left
- 600k Packer 0 left

Let Go: Balance 0.00
Faifai Loa 150k 150k left
Glymin 100k 250k left
Dodd 100k 350k left
Havili 150k 450k left
Marketo 150k 600k left
Mosoe 250k 800k left
Mathews 200k 1m left
McCarthy 150k 1.1m left
McCrone 200k 1.3m left
Nona 150k 1.45m left
I Thompson 100k 1.55m left
Hind 100k 1.65m left

Extend: Balance 1.65m
Hutchison 150k 1.55m left
Lafai 350k 1.2m left
Mann 350k 850k left
Milne 300k 550k left

Baclance 550k

So we get to keep all our good players including juniors already signed and still have 550k to play with.
Dugan and Packer will be upgrades so you are not using up 1.4m just as Widdop was an upgraded contract. So you are probably only using an extra 300K.
On your figures KFFL down to Hind is a saving of 1.8m not 1.65m so there is another 150K
Hutch to Milne you have 500K left not 550K

So there's an extra 1.75m

All rather pointless really. We don't really know the figures so only time will tell!

At the end of the day you have nearly 20 players off contract and decisions have to be made how they retain and who moves on.

Out of those players i'd like to see staying
Dugan at a sensible price
Packer also at a sensible price
Nightingale at a reduced price
Mann lots to offer
Milne has alot of potential
Hutchison enough talent to work with
McCrone for experienced depth
Mathews like McCrone experienced depth
Hind as a developing prop
Dodd as an outside back with potential

The one guy i really want to see stay is lafai the way he has turned his form around is fast becoming a fav player at still in his mid 20's.

blacksafake

First Grade
At the end of the day you have nearly 20 players off contract and decisions have to be made how they retain and who moves on.

Out of those players i'd like to see staying
Dugan at a sensible price
Packer also at a sensible price
Nightingale at a reduced price
Mann lots to offer
Milne has alot of potential
Hutchison enough talent to work with
McCrone for experienced depth
Mathews like McCrone experienced depth
Hind as a developing prop
Dodd as an outside back with potential

The one guy i really want to see stay is lafai the way he has turned his form around is fast becoming a fav player at still in his mid 20's.
Agree mostly Coastie but I think we can do without Mathews. With Host & Sele getting some experience in the top grade he may be moved on.

Agree mostly Coastie but I think we can do without Mathews. With Host & Sele getting some experience in the top grade he may be moved on.
I have to say Host seems to have fallen out of the rotation at present and luc i still have reservations about his fitness and attitude.

The Doc

Juniors
Without knowing figures its all speculation.
One must also remember that the top 25 increases to the top 30.
5 extra players. Granted most will just be juniors promoted to the top grade.
So maybe 100k-150k each.
One thing i know for certain is there will be no "if the cap goes up 10% so do players wages".
That would leave no room to pay the extra 5 players.

Frank Facer

First Grade
One would assume we are under the cap in 2017. So in 2018 we have the players on our roster today + approximately an extra 2m due to rise in the cap.

2m less what's already been spent for 2018
-900k - Hunt Millward has said he contract price is well below 1m - 1.1m left
-200k Widdop upgrade - 1.7m left
-100k Thompson upgrade 1.6m left
-100k De Belin upgrade 1.5m left
-100k Lawrie new contract 1.4m left

So who to keep and who to let go? Please try and balance our cap by estimating the salary for each player. I'll go first and you can follow with your own input. Please feel free to change players and player's salaries as you see fit. Mine are only an estimate.

Balance to spend so far is +1.4m

Immediately Extend: Balance 1.4m
- 800k Dugan 550k left
- 600k Packer 0 left

Let Go: Balance 0.00
Faifai Loa 150k 150k left
Glymin 100k 250k left
Dodd 100k 350k left
Havili 150k 450k left
Marketo 150k 600k left
Mosoe 250k 800k left
Mathews 200k 1m left
McCarthy 150k 1.1m left
McCrone 200k 1.3m left
Nona 150k 1.45m left
I Thompson 100k 1.55m left
Hind 100k 1.65m left

Extend: Balance 1.65m
Hutchison 150k 1.55m left
Lafai 350k 1.2m left
Mann 350k 850k left
Milne 300k 550k left

Baclance 550k

So we get to keep all our good players including juniors already signed and still have 550k to play with.
Possm, I relate to you. I have done calculations in the past too, with the whole squad.

I need to get a white board.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just did. As the salary cap increases so will existing contract $$$. For example, if the salary cap increases 10% then then contracts will increase 10%. A $2 million dollar increase doesn't automatically equate to $2 million dollars free to play with.

Also consider that a number of our players may receive rep bonuses in their contracts as well. Vaughan, DeBelin, McInnes are all potential Blues bolters this year, while Packer has already been recalled into the NZ test side.
You may be correct about contracts increasing the same % as the cap increases, or you may not be. I am aware that some players have the cap increase, contract increase by the same % in their contracts, but I am not sure if it is included in all contracts.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If only you were the real Frank Facer all this would be sorted out by now.
When I was in year 12, a teacher was asking students what their dream job would be. I said to be secretary (the CEO was called the secretary) of St George Rugby League Club. In my teens in the 80's, I knew that Frank Facer was our Secretary (CEO) during out 11 year reign and that he was a legend of our club. Only Saints supporters know of Frank Facer, and that is still very few.

Latest posts