What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016/17 Premier League

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Why are you dragging jumbo into this because Mong said something nick. You're doing well enough arguing your own points against the majority.

Haffa

Cambridge definition of an achievement: "something very good and difficult that you have succeeded in doing".

Since when is beating the mighty Anderlecht, Rostov, Celta Vigo and Ajax Jr 'difficult' and 'very good' for Man f**king United?

They failed to make even the top 4 in a much harder EPL competition so they resorted to picking up a cheap trophy in a much easier competition. That is not achievement.
Cambridge definitions for the feelings of football supporters?

They qualified for the Champions League without making the top 4. They played in a European final, most clubs would give anything for that.

saint.nick

Coach
Cambridge definitions for the feelings of football supporters?

They qualified for the Champions League without making the top 4. They played in a European final, most clubs would give anything for that.
So feelings > logic...

United aren't most clubs.

Mong

Post Whore
Lolz

I rarely am in the majority here nick. If your at a level that you need to desperately plea for bandwagon Chelsea fan jimmy to assist you then you know it's going badly.

saint.nick

Coach
Lolz

I rarely am in the majority here nick. If your at a level that you need to desperately plea for bandwagon Chelsea fan jimmy to assist you then you know it's going badly.

Just as badly as your attempts to prove he followed Leeds once?

Are you going to attempt to explain how United's accomplishment was very difficult and involved very good opposition?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Because Mong needs a majority to feel strong.
And you obviously need jimbo based on his past with Mong.

Just stick to the topic at hand as it's an interesting debate.

I know as LFC fan I loved every minute of last seasons EL cup run and would've loved another one this season. If we had bagged that trophy it would've been a successful season despite finishing 8th in the EPL.

I think you're too concerned with how united should be doing as a fan that has watched them dominate for a long time , instead of looking at the state they are in currently.

They've had to integrate a new CB, CM and striker into their side which is lacking in lots of areas. Just because they've chcallenged in the past doesn't mean they should've this season.

If I'm the united board and Josè I class this season as a success. They bagged some silverware and qualified for the CL. Only Chelsea can say that in the top 4 of the PL.

saint.nick

Coach
And you obviously need jimbo based on his past with Mong.

Just stick to the topic at hand as it's an interesting debate.

I know as LFC fan I loved every minute of last seasons EL cup run and would've loved another one this season. If we had bagged that trophy it would've been a successful season despite finishing 8th in the EPL.

I think you're too concerned with how united should be doing as a fan that has watched them dominate for a long time , instead of looking at the state they are in currently.

They've had to integrate a new CB, CM and striker into their side which is lacking in lots of areas. Just because they've chcallenged in the past doesn't mean they should've this season.

If I'm the united board and Josè I class this season as a success. They bagged some silverware and qualified for the CL. Only Chelsea can say that in the top 4 of the PL.
I don't need Jimbo, the argument was already lost for Mong when his response to a very fair point was 'you're embarrassing yourself'.

I'm glad you find it interesting because I don't want to bore everyone.

It would have been a successful season for Liverpool, but Liverpool were in entirely different circumstances. And if Liverpool won the final, it would have been a far greater achievement, because:

a) Liverpool doesn't have United's yearly wage/transfer budget
b) On paper we were not really close to what United are this year
c) We had a genuinely tough run to win the final. United, Dortmund, Villareal and Sevilla were all very formidable opponents.

I can't accept your reasons for why they didn't challenge this season. Why shouldn't they have challenged this season? They had every reason to do so.

Mong

Post Whore
Just as badly as your attempts to prove he followed Leeds once?

Are you going to attempt to explain how United's accomplishment was very difficult and involved very good opposition?

I didn't say it was either of those things.. You are moving the goal posts..

I've explained why it's an achievement, which was what you were saying it wasn't.

You were embarrassing your self, you put a U9 tennis example and equated that to a major European football title to try and prove your point..

Then you cried for jimbo to assist you..

are you bunniesman in disguise?

Jimbo

Immortal
I don't need Jimbo, the argument was already lost for Mong when his response to a very fair point was 'you're embarrassing yourself'.

True

But you're making the mistake of assuming that the attention whore's interest in the discussion has anything at all to do with Man United, Liverpool, or even football

You're enabling him to be the centre of attention. He's as happy as a pig in shit...

Haffa

Now you're just muddying the waters.
Not really, it's really the heart of your argument. You're saying United can't claim that winning isn't very good and they didn't or shouldn't have found it difficult they obviously disagree.

saint.nick

Coach
Not really, it's really the heart of your argument. You're saying United can't claim that winning isn't very good and they didn't or shouldn't have found it difficult they obviously disagree.
United will disagree because it would be in the best interests of their brand to disagree. Obviously.

When you objectively look at this and forget about the diversional idea of it being a 'subjective' matter, United's EL run shouldn't have been difficult at all. You're still yet to give me a good reason why beating Anderlecht, Rostov, Vigo and Ajax Jr is impressive. United beating those sides is not just an expectation, it's a given, and if they didn't win the tournament it would have been an embarrassment.

The problem with the argument of yourself and et al. is looking at trophies in a completely black and white way, which is a mistake.

saint.nick

Coach
I didn't say it was either of those things.. You are moving the goal posts..

I haven't moved the goalposts, you've just run yourself into the goal net and completely tangled yourself up. Indeed, I said those things, because according to Cambridge, that's the criteria to satisfy an achievement in the true sense of the word. You're yet to explain to me how their win satisfies the criteria. If I'm Man Utd, I find it very hard to associate said sides with 'very good and difficult'.

You were embarrassing your self, you put a U9 tennis example and equated that to a major European football title to try and prove your point..

Lol, I didn't equate it to a major tournament, I was highlighting the flaw in the logic. A true achievement isn't just "winning something you set out to win". That could apply to anything, like me setting out to win the local U9's tennis tournament and winning. Before you say that, there needs to be an explanation for why winning the EL is an achievement itself (in the context of Man Utd) in order for the statement to mean anything. Buzzwords like 'major' and 'European' just don't cut it. Calling it 'European' doesn't make the teams involved any better than they are, and 'major' just means it's an official UEFA tournament. Big deal.

Then you cried for jimbo to assist you..

are you bunniesman in disguise?

Yeah, the much new and improved.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
End of the day who's gives a shit how a trophy is won. We could've beaten garbage third rate opposition to win the EL last season and I'd still be cheering like normal.

When did winning trophies and competitions have to have some difficultly scale applied to them by fans to justify their legitimacy. End of the day Man U will put that trophy in their trophy case like the rest of their silverware.

saint.nick

Coach
End of the day who's gives a shit how a trophy is won. We could've beaten garbage third rate opposition to win the EL last season and I'd still be cheering like normal.

When did winning trophies and competitions have to have some difficultly scale applied to them by fans to justify their legitimacy. End of the day Man U will put that trophy in their trophy case like the rest of their silverware.

- So would have I. But I would have been celebrating the fact we made the UCL, not the fact we 'added silverware'.

- Because if you want to win bragging rights then you need to win things that are truly impressive and help you elevate yourself above your rivals. That's why considering the difficulty of a tournament matters. 'But it's a trophy' is just a superficial and overly black-and-white argument. I take pride in what the trophies represent, not the actual trophies themselves.

Haffa

Qualifying for the Champions League is not above and should never be above winning a tournament/league/competition/trophy. It's that attitude which has led to Arsenals CL runs or spurs not getting out of the group. As we've proven a year out of the tournament isn't the end of the world.

I couldn't care less who my teams beats on the way to win trophies or how they're perceived by anyone other than myself. My club beat Bayern and Barcelona to win the CL and oppo fans said it's a fluke and the luckiest run ever. Do you think I gaf? Its the same as the 'bought the league' brigade its hilarious. United won against the competition put in front of them.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm sick of talking about the manc wanks.