What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Trivia

undertaker

Coach
Greg Dyer for the first one.

Nope.

Dyer played his last test a few years before Warne made his test debut (Warne debuted in 1992, Dyer played his last test in 1988 before his Australian and NSW careers came to an abrupt end as a result of falsely claiming a catch in the 1987 Boxing Day Test).

King hit

Coach
Here's one that came in my mind this morning:

During Shane Warne's test career, there were 3 wicketkeepers who kept to Warne's bowling. Two of them obviously were Ian Healy and Adam Gilchrist. Who was the 3rd?

(Much harder question below)

During Shane Warne's ODI career, there were AT LEAST (I say at least, as there maybe more, not sure) 7 wicketkeepers that I can think of who kept to Warne's bowling. Two of them obviously were Ian Healy and Adam Gilchrist. Who were the other 5?

Phil Emery was the test bowler. It was in Pakistan in 1994.

The ODI keepers I can think of apart from Gilly and Healy are Greg Campbell and Brad Haddin. Jimmy Maher might've kept in a ODI to him maybe.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Phil Emery
Correct.

3rd test, Pakistan vs Australia 1994 at Lahore. Healy was out due to a thumb injury I think

Now to the 2nd question:

During Shane Warne's ODI career, there were AT LEAST (I say at least, as there maybe more, not sure) 7 wicketkeepers that I can think of who kept to Warne's bowling. Two of them obviously were Ian Healy and Adam Gilchrist. Who were the other 5?

As an addendum to King hit's post since he mentioned Phil Emery in test matches, in addition to Healy and Gilchrist, Phil Emery was another keeper that kept to Warne in ODIs, in the only ODI Emery played, that being the 1994 Wills Triangular series Final vs Pakistan at Lahore. So, Emery's sole test and ODI were on that same Pakistan tour due to Healy's injury, and coincidentally both at Lahore.

So, that leaves 4 other wicketkeepers. One of them might come as a surprise to you.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Correct.

3rd test, Pakistan vs Australia 1994 at Lahore. Healy was out due to a thumb injury I think

Now to the 2nd question:

As an addendum to King hit's post since he mentioned Phil Emery in test matches, in addition to Healy and Gilchrist, Phil Emery was another keeper that kept to Warne in ODIs, in the only ODI Emery played, that being the 1994 Wills Triangular series Final vs Pakistan at Lahore. So, Emery's only test and ODI were on that same Pakistan tour due to Healy's injury.

So, that leaves 4 other wicketkeepers

Emery was flown over without an immunization shots or a visa ftr and yes it was a thumb injury that ruled him out.

Yeah just saw that Emery played a ODI on that tour as well.

undertaker

Coach
Yeah just saw that Emery played a ODI on that tour as well.

I found some extremely rare footage of that ODI, given the 1994 Pakistan tour was the last test series not to be televised in Australia (although it was televised locally in Pakistan, and the ODI tri-series was also televised in South Africa as the Saffers were the 3rd team involved in it. So the clip below has the Saffer commentators):

Go to 10:56 in the video. Emery caught Akram Raza off Mark Waugh

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Correct.

Now to the 2nd question:

As an addendum to King hit's post since he mentioned Phil Emery in test matches, in addition to Healy and Gilchrist, Phil Emery was another keeper that kept to Warne in ODIs, in the only ODI Emery played, that being the 1994 Wills Triangular series Final vs Pakistan at Lahore. So, Emery's sole test and ODI were on that same Pakistan tour due to Healy's injury, and coincidentally both at Lahore.

So, that leaves 4 other wicketkeepers. One of them might come as a surprise to you.

Ryan Campbell definitely kept to Warnie. I have a vague recollection of him stumping someone

undertaker

Coach
Ryan Campbell definitely kept to Warnie. I have a vague recollection of him stumping someone

Correct. Campbell kept to Warne in only one ODI vs New Zealand in Sydney, 2002. And in addition, yes, he stumped the slow-coach, Mark Richardson. Another interesting stat from that game I recall: a young Brendon McCullum making his ODI debut

That was a golden summer for Shane Bond. One of less than a handful of fast bowlers over the past 20 years (since 1996/97, when Ambrose and Walsh still had it although the Windies were on the start of a sharp decline around that time) that consistently troubled the top-order Australian batsmen in Australia. Mark Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting et al...they never looked comfortable playing against Bond. Hard to believe this was 15 years ago. Time flies!

Here's a somewhat humorous clip from that match where you can see both Warne and Campbell:

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Phil Emery was the test bowler. It was in Pakistan in 1994.

The ODI keepers I can think of apart from Gilly and Healy are Ryan Campbell and Brad Haddin. Jimmy Maher might've kept in a ODI to him maybe.

Sorry, I didn't see you edited your previous post.

Correct, Brad Haddin is another one. Like Campbell and Emery, Haddin also only kept to Warne in one ODI, vs Zimbabwe at Hobart in 2001.

Jimmy Maher....very close, but no. Maher was an occasional wicketkeeper for Queensland who also kept behind the stumps in 3 ODIs, two of them were post-2003 World Cup (the tournament where Warne's ODI career came to an abrupt end after the infamous diuretics incident): one during the 2003 tour of West Indies and another during the TVS Cup in India later that year.

The one game that Maher was wicketkeeper during the Warne ODI era was at the Gabba vs Sri Lanka in 2003, but Warne wasn't playing due to shoulder surgery after popping his shoulder a week or so before the previous year's Boxing Day Test. I think this was the match where Boof Lehmann got suspended for racist comments walking up the tunnel after getting out.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
You said one might not be who we'd expect or words to that effect....implying a back up, part time keeper. And Jimmy Maher has been guessed and dismissed.

IIRC Mike Veletta and Justin Langer have filled in with the gloves for Australia. Is it one of them?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Valetta was before Warnie's time.

Maybe it was Darren Berry, apparently he is a cricket icon.

undertaker

Coach
You said one might not be who we'd expect or words to that effect....implying a back up, part time keeper. And Jimmy Maher has been guessed and dismissed.

IIRC Mike Veletta and Justin Langer have filled in with the gloves for Australia. Is it one of them?

Justin Langer is correct! And yes, like Maher, he was also a part-time keeper.

Langer was keeper to Warne for the 3 ODIs Australia played in a Sharjah tournament, which started only a few days after their gruelling 1994 tour of South Africa. Australia fielded a very different batting line-up and a few new faces in the squad following Border and Jones' retirements, Hughes being dropped and never re-gaining his spot (due to the emergence of Fleming and McGrath on the rise), and Healy injured.

Veletta's time in the national side ended a few years before Warne's debut.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
So far we've got Ian Healy (1993-97), Adam Gilchrist (1997-2003), Justin Langer (3 ODIs), Phil Emery (1 ODI), Brad Haddin (1 ODI), and Ryan Campbell (1 ODI).

One more to go

King hit

Coach
I never would imagine Langer keeping wicket, I can just remember him as a batsman. Found some footage of Langer keeping, he got a stumping of Warne. I'm more interested in why they are wearing whites in a ODI?

undertaker

Coach
I never would imagine Langer keeping wicket, I can just remember him as a batsman. Found some footage of Langer keeping, he got a stumping of Warne.

What's also amazing about that particular match you linked (the semi-final of that Sharjah tournament vs India), Hayden and Langer batted in the middle order at #6 and #7 respectively! Hayden as a middle-order batsman? That just goes to show you how much depth and talent Australia had in domestic/state cricket at the time. I've said many times that no other country in the history of international cricket had as much depth and talent in the 2nd tier (state level) as Australia did during 1994-2004 when Mark Taylor/Steve Waugh was captain.

And yeah, its interesting that a fill-in/non-regular wicketkeeper was chosen as a wicketkeeper at international level in regards to Justin Langer. However, David Boon also kept wicket in two 1992 World Cup matches when Healy got injured. His moment of glory was picking up Steve Waugh's long throw and narrowly running out the Indian batsman off the final ball of the game to win by 1 run.

undertaker

Coach
I'm more interested in why they are wearing whites in a ODI?

History of coloured clothing in ODIs is very interesting, but I'll try to keep this short.

India vs Zimbabwe in December 2000 was the last ODI series where white clothing/red ball was used. After that, since January 2001, it became mandatory for all ODIs to be played with coloured clothing/white ball.
The last time Australia wore whites in ODIs was on the 1998 tour of Pakistan. But, during the '80s and '90s, it was very common for ODIs in the subcontinent to be played with white clothing/red ball. I guess it was a convenience thing to keep production costs down for the touring sides, but somewhat weird as in India, ODI tournaments would alternate between white clothing/red ball and coloured clothing/white ball. For example, when Australia toured India in 1996 for the first time in 10 years, the Titan Cup ODI tri-series between India/Australia/South Africa was in coloured clothing but when they toured there again in 1998, the ODI tri-series between India/Australia/Zimbabwe was in whites.

Sharjah tournaments didn't use coloured clothing until 1997 (the year England won it).

Since Packer's World Series Cricket in the late '70s, Australia was the first country to use coloured clothing/white ball although in official ODIs, full coloured clothing didn't happen until the 1980/81 season. Although the white ball was used in the first ODI tri-series held in 1979/80, Australia/West Indies/England didn't wear full coloured clothing that series but played in whites with only coloured outlines on their clothes, as the English Cricket Board protested and said coloured clothing in cricket was not in the spirit of the game. The ECB made a big stink about it, and maybe it was their way of protesting against the Packer establishment and ideas that were used in World Series Cricket as they were completely against him. England didn't use coloured clothing until 1998 - a year before the 1999 World Cup was held there - and day/nighters until 2000, so it shows that they were definitely traditionalists and took a long time to accept any change. Even the BBC coverage only broadcast live from one end like it was pre-World Series Cricket right up until the late '80s (with the camera footage from the other end only used if it was a replay of a front-on view rather than behind the batsman). So, Packer was ahead of his time, as all the other test-playing nations (and tv broadcasters in those countries) eventually adopted his ideas.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Of all the Australian test players who've made their debut over the past 30 years and played a minimum of 2 tests, who are the 6 players that played their first and last test match at the same venue?

Last edited:

Latest posts