What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater. What would you pay?

Pro Dragons

Juniors
In a SBS NEWS article they said

'Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater, both of whom are without NRL contracts beyond November.'

Source.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/06/22/bennett-sprays-hayne-bombed-origin-try

In the highly unlikely event Slater did not resign with Melbourne, should we try and sign him, if so why and what would you pay?

YES most definitely. We have no fullback with Dugan's departure, he would be fantastic for the junior players coming into 1st grade and would be great to have when we hit the wall and start losing too many games just like now. I would sign him for 2 @ 1 million a season.

Nothing. I think he's a grub of the highest order who is for some reason a protected species.
Weather it's flying in feet first, studs up, leaving the leg out, studs up, while taking a bomb, stomping on a tackler in the play the ball, as he did on Wednesday night, or just generally falling over when hit with a feather to draw a penalty.
Don't like him, never will.

He could play like Dally Mesenger reborn and I still wouldn't want him.

Gippsy

Bench
Yeah, can't stand him, but, geez it'd be great to have a player like him at the back.

(Dufty, Field??? are they similar to a young Slater?)

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As a few of you have already mentioned, excellent player but just as highly qualified as a grub.

I'll pass on him and stick with whatever option we have, in fact, l'd rather sign Nighty up for a further year.

possm

Coach
No, I'm sure we don't have the funds and if we do, why didn't we give the Roosters a run for their money on Tedesco. I mean at worst we would have pushed his price up and cause cap problems for the chooks.

Yes we need someone at the back for a year or two however, I think Tedesco and Gagai could have done the trick. Slater will stay at the Storm until he retires.

2010Dragons

Bench
He is passed his used by date.
Looks like he is carrying a few injuries.
In his hey days he was the best Fullback.
Hell will freeze over before Billy the cat leaves Melbourne.
Dragons couldn't afford his asking price.

Its a big NO from me.

deansykes

Juniors
I doubt he'd sign for anyone else if even if he doesn't re-sign with the storm. A media career would be the way he'll go. With that said, if it were a possibility, i'd go against the grain and say yes, despite my hatred for him (an incident when i was licensee of a pub in kings cross quite a few years back has tarnished any hope of liking him), he would add A LOT to our team

The Damo

Juniors
"Nah, we don't want or need the greatest fullback of the modern era. We have a random untried 20year old currently struggling to make an impact in NSW Cup who could easily be be better in every way..."
- Dragons fans.
Yep. No doubt he's grub, near the end of his career and I hate his guts with fire of a thousand suns, but I'd sell my grandmother to have him play fullback in the red v.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Oh shut the f**k up honestly. If Billy was our fullback you would be cheering every play he puts on for us.

Yes, he's a grub. Yes, he is 34 and injury prone. Would I take him for 2018? No. But i'll be damned if he isn't in the top 3 greatest fullbacks of all time and if he played for the Dragons you would be loving every minute of it.

With some of the players (criminals) we have happily cheered on and supported in the past, Billy Slater is child's play in comparison.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Oh shut the f**k up honestly. If Billy was our fullback you would be cheering every play he puts on for us.

Yes, he's a grub. Yes, he is 34 and injury prone. Would I take him for 2018? No. But i'll be damned if he isn't in the top 3 greatest fullbacks of all time and if he played for the Dragons you would be loving every minute of it.

With some of the players (criminals) we have happily cheered on and supported in the past, Billy Slater is child's play in comparison.

If he had been with us from day one, absolutely I would be cheering him on. But now? He may be one of the top three fullbacks of all time, but he plays for the opposition so he is nothing but a dirty grubby salary cap infringing cheat!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Thats good you have that opinion of him.....but I repeat I still wouldnt like to see him in our colours......and as for your assessment of hes in the top 3 fullbacks. Of all time...I disagree hes in the top 2....doesnt change my mind though

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would be very concerned that Billy Slaters standing in the game as a future Immortal would be severely tarnished under the McJetski plan A coaching de-skill. IMO he will remain a one club Storm player until he retires.