What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Saints have strengthened the position that is crucial next season which will improve our performance 1000% in Ben Hunt.

The fullback position will be weakened by Duges going but they have a potential great No.1 in Dufty, Field or Mann. I still think he is the best person for the No.1 next year.

Only need a decent forward to cover Packer and with plenty of dollars saved should get a decent forward.

No more rubbish talk about backs as the Saints have the cream of the crop in juniors in the NRL and need to get them in first grade. Bringing in someone and losing them to another club could be a disaster e.g Dogs releasing Thurston at a young age. I really think Field/Dufty/Sailor/Masters/Morris/Herbert are the key and it 2 of these guys become gems it would e worth the gamble. Mann is a must as well. For experience and backup.

Recruitment is not too much an issue if they get the forward we need to cover Packer.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think Saints have strengthened the position that is crucial next season which will improve our performance 1000% in Ben Hunt.

The fullback position will be weakened by Duges going but they have a potential great No.1 in Dufty, Field or Mann. I still think he is the best person for the No.1 next year.

Only need a decent forward to cover Packer and with plenty of dollars saved should get a decent forward.

No more rubbish talk about backs as the Saints have the cream of the crop in juniors in the NRL and need to get them in first grade. Bringing in someone and losing them to another club could be a disaster e.g Dogs releasing Thurston at a young age. I really think Field/Dufty/Sailor/Masters/Morris/Herbert are the key and it 2 of these guys become gems it would e worth the gamble. Mann is a must as well. For experience and backup.

Recruitment is not too much an issue if they get the forward we need to cover Packer.
You forgot to mention Lomax. He will be playing first grade by 2019

denis preston

First Grade
Dont forget we have herbert as well he close to ready.
And morris in years to come.

Herbert has not impressed me at all in the 3 games I've seen him play. Masters has all the wraps but doesn't appear to get involved enough and in my opinion the jury is still out in regard to Field. In saying that , players of this age can improve 50% in the off season and it would help if the NRL coach rewarded great form in the Reggies ( like Lulia , Dufty & Kerr are showing ) , for game time in the NRL.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Herbert has not impressed me at all in the 3 games I've seen him play. Masters has all the wraps but doesn't appear to get involved enough and in my opinion the jury is still out in regard to Field. In saying that , players of this age can improve 50% in the off season and it would help if the NRL coach rewarded great form in the Reggies ( like Lulia , Dufty & Kerr are showing ) , for game time in the NRL.

I agree with you Denis. It is funny when what you read on the Forum just does not match what you see with your own eyes. I have watched 5 Illawarra games but none of the last 3. Herbert has been unremarkable. Field has only stood out when he takes an intercept or receives a judicious pass which puts him in the clear. Lawrie has been consistently good and hard working. Kerr once given some decent game time has begun to stand out. Leilua has been quite hard working also despite comments here that he is lazy in defence. Dufty has played consistently well in the games I have seen and probably has benefited from playing every game in NSW Cup unlike Field with his 10 minute NRL cameos.

Again I am with you - when poor form in NRL and good form in the NSW Cup warrants change it is a pity that Mary doesn't provide the opportunities. In any case you would hope a genuine NRL coach would always be looking to improve his team and consider the development of the best young players in the club.

possm

Coach
Can you point to any recruitment official who consistently acts the way you suggest? I'm willing to bet that with the way things work in league trying that would get good players offside very quickly. You'd either have to meet their demands, or deny them the opportunity to increase their value through performance.
Can you admit that you will filter everything that happens through your conviction that he's incompetent? So anything good he does was easy and that somehow not signing every rep quality player someone on here rumours might be available is proof he is? Because that's what you do, and when you post arguments with flawed assumptions constantly, people are gonna point them out.
No, No, No and No,

I think you would do better examining Millward yourself. Take off the rose coloured glasses and see what he actually does, and what actually transcribes. Don't worry about me at all, I've been around the block a few times and know where I'm at.

JDHD

Juniors
I agree with you Denis. It is funny when what you read on the Forum just does not match what you see with your own eyes. I have watched 5 Illawarra games but none of the last 3. Herbert has been unremarkable. Field has only stood out when he takes an intercept or receives a judicious pass which puts him in the clear. Lawrie has been consistently good and hard working. Kerr once given some decent game time has begun to stand out. Leilua has been quite hard working also despite comments here that he is lazy in defence. Dufty has played consistently well in the games I have seen and probably has benefited from playing every game in NSW Cup unlike Field with his 10 minute NRL cameos.

Again I am with you - when poor form in NRL and good form in the NSW Cup warrants change it is a pity that Mary doesn't provide the opportunities. In any case you would hope a genuine NRL coach would always be looking to improve his team and consider the development of the best young players in the club.

And this is exactly why I don't want any of these players anywhere near the grade side until next year. 20s to Cup is a big step, and the step up from Cup to Grade is even more so, and if you elevate them too quickly you can ruin them for life.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree Denis
Masters is only 17 2019 for him I would say.
But with Vaughan out and fizz also highly unlikely.
I would bring in lowrie and luc.
Both deserve a go
Agrre re Herbert is last 3 game not his best.
But unfortunately for him he has Thompson next to him and thompson defence is not good.
Imo

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Well said dragonsteve.
Agree herbert has been missing a bit in the last 3 games.
I have seen all bar one game from illawarra and the 2 guys who have improved the most are definitely kerr,
Playing longer minutes and running harder.
Luc has imporved heaps he is much fitter and has played long minutes in the last 3 game 73, 80 and 80

Smurf

Juniors
Well said dragonsteve.
Agree herbert has been missing a bit in the last 3 games.
I have seen all bar one game from illawarra and the 2 guys who have improved the most are definitely kerr,
Playing longer minutes and running harder.
Luc has imporved heaps he is much fitter and has played long minutes in the last 3 game 73, 80 and 80
Totally agree Team
I have only watched the games on fox and listened to steel sport
Agree
Dufry
Luc
Kerr
Field for a intercept
And in the baby dragons
Zac lomax - he is very impressive

Drag Queen

Bench
And this is exactly why I don't want any of these players anywhere near the grade side until next year. 20s to Cup is a big step, and the step up from Cup to Grade is even more so, and if you elevate them too quickly you can ruin them for life.
Agree, and by all accounts the Steelers are not exactly setting the world on fire in NSW Cup. They've lost more than they've won and are sitting in 7th place. It is a younger team than last year's team but still the transition is showing. Shoot me now.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ps the one I can't understand is
Big Mose

Without getting into just how good or bad a player Mose is , there is one aspect about him that truly disappoints me . And that is , that I believed that he , as any player whom had been injured for such a length of time , would had done their utmost in achieving peak fitness , so at the very least he could possibly be considered for selection in the 1st grade side .

There was always going to be a time during the season , that forwards from the Cutters would be used in the top grade , due to injuries or representative commitments and I believe that big Mose should had done more to ensure that his name was among the contenders .

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Absolutely no way a 19 year old will make 1st garde in this club under the current administration.
He will languish in lower grades whilst we work out what to do with the juniors of 2016 that we never promoted.
Wasn't Aikten 19 when he debuted for us with Mary coach? Lomax looks like a much better centre prospect to me than Aikten. I would even have Lomax at centre for us next year year ahead of Aikten.