What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signing News

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Wasn't Aikten 19 when he debuted for us with Mary coach? Lomax looks like a much better centre prospect to me than Aikten. I would even have Lomax at centre for us next year year ahead of Aikten.

As much as I rate Lomax's ability, he will only JUST be 18 next year. He's still eligible for under 18s and SG Ball! I highly doubt he will get a spot ahead of Aitken or Lafai. The coaching staff will want to see him play a year in NSW Cup before we see him in first grade. Gives him a chance to force his way in rather than it being handed to him.

duck

Juniors
Lomax isn't even 18 yet so he certainly won't see first grade this year.

Whatever happens with the under 20's comp they may promote him into the NSW Cup next year.

Imo he is one of the most gifted centres I have seen in sometime.
Outstanding prospect. You have to keep reminding yourself how young he is.
Classic build for a centre. Strong and fast and sets up his outside man very well. Excellent goal kicker. And I love seeing young players like this who are so confident. He has it all.

GC Dragon

Juniors
As much as I rate Lomax's ability, he will only JUST be 18 next year. He's still eligible for under 18s and SG Ball! I highly doubt he will get a spot ahead of Aitken or Lafai. The coaching staff will want to see him play a year in NSW Cup before we see him in first grade. Gives him a chance to force his way in rather than it being handed to him.
Agree he won't play first grade next year. He is a left centre who i would think would be the bloke to replace Lafai when his 3 years is up .

dragon thomo

Juniors
I have not seen Lomax play , but if he is as good as you all are saying sign him long term now bofore any other club does.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I heard Wendell Sailor on MMM radio last weekend say that young Lomax will be a future superstar of our game. I immediately thought that's the end of his career with that kiss of death and the high expectation created by the media.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You may be correct. But I am of the belief that if they are good enough, they are old enough. The really gifted players, especially backs usually show their class as soon as they are promoted to first grade. As I have previously mentioned, going back to when I was a still a teen, I recall many young backs making their debuts as 17 to 18 year olds. Players such as Brett Rodwell, Brad Mackay, Daley, Tim Brasher, ET, Jamie Anscough, John Hoppa all good examples of young players who performed very well when given the opportunity when they were still teenagers. I think Lomax will be ready next year, if they give him the shot.

Latrell Mitchell is one who debuted as a teen last year.

You may be correct. But I am of the belief that if they are good enough, they are old enough. The really gifted players, especially backs usually show their class as soon as they are promoted to first grade. As I have previously mentioned, going back to when I was a still a teen, I recall many young backs making their debuts as 17 to 18 year olds. Players such as Brett Rodwell, Brad Mackay, Daley, Tim Brasher, ET, Jamie Anscough, John Hoppa all good examples of young players who performed very well when given the opportunity when they were still teenagers. I think Lomax will be ready next year, if they give him the shot.

This.^^^
Who cares if they fail after one or two games, if they are still 18 they will know what to expect next time they are called up.
Without giving them a go your never going to know how good they could be.

You are never going to know if they can step up if McGreagor keeps hiding the stairs.

If we don't give them the chance to prove themselves we are going to end up with a generation of Jack Birds.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
So many examples of teenagers like Freddie ,Anthony Watmough,,too many to list if they are good enough then they are old enough.and most of our star juniors are stars also in state of origin and Australian and new Zealand test teams .speed speed speed it just is so hard to get yet we have truck loads of it time to unleash a little bit of it .Matt Dufty is. first cab of the rank fullback I'm sure the opposition will have trouble handling this speed demon.over to you Mary it you want to be conservative ,Matt fullback in attack and swap him with nighty in defence.

Minh

First Grade

Brad Fitler would be close to the best young player I saw in his debut season....

So many examples of teenagers like Freddie ,Anthony Watmough,,too many to list if they are good enough then they are old enough.and most of our star juniors are stars also in state of origin and Australian and new Zealand test teams .speed speed speed it just is so hard to get yet we have truck loads of it time to unleash a little bit of it .Matt Dufty is. first cab of the rank fullback I'm sure the opposition will have trouble handling this speed demon.over to you Mary it you want to be conservative ,Matt fullback in attack and swap him with nighty in defence.
There is a long list of teenagers playing FG for other clubs right now. Nathan Cleary being the most prominent.
There is absolutely no reason why McGregor should not be methodically trying our teenagers out.
Dufty is an obvious choice but I also feel that Field's cameos were absolutely shattering for the young guy.
10 minutes off the bench when the game is done and dusted, is not my idea of promoting young talent.
What irked me the most is when both Dugan and Widdop were injured and, even then, McGregor didn't try the likes of Dufty.
Instead, he opted for Nightingale who filled in admirably but at the cost of losing him as a winger.
In contrast, look at the way Bellamy brings his youngsters through?
They are busting to please the coach and he provides a simple and structured path into the top team.
In the end, they will walk over broken glass for Bellamy.
That's is the single biggest reason we are riding this roller coaster with McGregor.
He is just not in the same class as the top liners.
It is really difficult to follow the logic but coaching aptitude has a lot to do with it.