What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 v Bulldogs - Game Day Thread

Dibs

Bench
I must admit it was an ugly win, but weird we didn't make too many mistakes just didn't make too much ground getting out of trouble, it was like they were so fatigue they couldn't get .

Although the Bulldogs don't offer anything in attack, I thought our defence wasn't too bad.

Brown kept us in the game and gets better every week, definitely the buy of the year for us, but he's been mentioned as the buy of the year overall. Exactly what we needed with when Wicks left.

Matagi had one of his better games too, a few strong runs kept us in the game and I think he's probably suited off the bench after the first 20 minutes.

I think Moeroa should start ahead of Kenny Edwards. I like Kenny's passion but lately he's had the mistake in him with poor handling and discipline.

As for the refereeing, I only saw the replay of the no penalty try when I get home as it wasn't shown at the ground. I can sort of understand why they didn't award a penalty try as the ball did bounce off the post, but not by much. Id say Moses would've got there.

And I'm not surprised we hardly got a penalty the amount of the times the Bulldogs were off side and held down too long was ridiculous. Perenara has always had it in for us. I swear I heard on the ref's mic to check for French's try, even though he was the kicker. o_O
I thought I heard the ref ask if he was onside, and a caller on talkin sports just said he heard the same thing

lingard

Coach
I know that we had a total lack of go-forward last night, epitomised by the fact that we barely got out of our 30m in the second half, but...does anyone else think that Norman did f**k all throughout the game? Moses, at least, put his body on the line and appeared to be having a dig throughout the game, and he did win it for us in the end. I was asking all game, however, where the f**k Norman was.

I reckon he's injured still.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Whatmough signing was just crazy stupid. A blind man could see that wasn't going to end well. The intent behind the Foran signing was good (even though he was massively over-paid).
How didn't it end well? He retired after a year where Manly subsidised his salary and cost us peanuts under the cap.

lingard

Coach
How didn't it end well? He retired after a year where Manly subsidised his salary and cost us peanuts under the cap.

So do you think that B.A. had that it mind when he signed Whatmough? That he'd retire after a year? I think the signing itself was stupid. He signed him for four years and there was no way that was ever going to play out. It was a ridiculous gamble. I like some of B.A's recruitment decisions and I love him as a coach, but he is allowed to make the odd mistake. That's okay.

emjaycee

Coach
And we did have part of his salary on the cap in his last year despite him not playing at all.
That happens sometimes in rugby league.
This year we have IDG's salary on our cap and I doubt he will play.
In 2015 and 2016 Melbourne had Billy Slater's salary on their cap and he played a total of 8 games over the 2 years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So do you think that B.A. had that it mind when he signed Whatmough? That he'd retire after a year?
I reckon he knew Watmough would retire whenever he could no longer contribute, and that the retirement loophole would keep his payout off our cap. If you'll remember, we were somewhat devious at the time about paying merkins outside the cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In 2015 and 2016 Melbourne had Billy Slater's salary on their cap and he played a total of 8 games over the 2 years.
Last year the Chooks paid Michael Jennings to play for us. Sometimes it's best for the club. In fact, if it wasn't clubs wouldn't do it.

The biggest risk with Watmough's (always likely) early retirement was that insurance wouldn't pay and we'd have to use our own money. It still wouldn't affect our cap though.

I know it happens sometimes but signing a player of his age, with the amount of games he'd played, and his injuries, for four years, it ups the chances considerably. In fact it makes it almost a certainty.

Yeah Morera should not have got the game winning penality but it made up for the one not given to Mantangi on the first and the 5-6 we should have for in the second half

Last year the Chooks paid Michael Jennings to play for us. Sometimes it's best for the club. In fact, if it wasn't clubs wouldn't do it.

The biggest risk with Watmough's (always likely) early retirement was that insurance wouldn't pay and we'd have to use our own money. It still wouldn't affect our cap though.
I think we got lucky with his retirement in that the NRL wanted the salary cap stuff to go away. I'm not sure how confident the club would have been in exploiting any loophole. But who knows, they were a bunch of clueless shonks.

Incorrect

Coach
Speaking to a few guys at work today.

And they all reckon in years gone by we probably would have lost that game last night.

Obviously the 2nd half was disappointing but at the end of the day we had no ball bulldogs made 1 error form memory in that whole 2nd half which was with 9 mins to go when the afro bloke knocked it on other then that the dogs were faultless in the 2nd half. No errors or penalties and pinging us in the corner every set
There's been a number of games this year we've won that I reckon we would have lost in recent years - the Warriors game a few weeks ago, the Tigers game and last night as you mention. The team have shown some real starch and grit this year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know it happens sometimes but signing a player of his age, with the amount of games he'd played, and his injuries, for four years, it ups the chances considerably. In fact it makes it almost a certainty.
But we knew of a loophole. You can't judge the signing independent of that knowledge. Just because the fans didn't understand doesn't mean the coach didn't have a plan. The bigger risk was Foran and he turned out to have minimal cap impact as well.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon he knew Watmough would retire whenever he could no longer contribute, and that the retirement loophole would keep his payout off our cap. If you'll remember, we were somewhat devious at the time about paying merkins outside the cap.
So BA goes to Watmough in 2014 and has a conversation that goes:

BA: "Hey, I need some leadership in the forwards at Parra. I have a reasonable squad of youngsters but they need a hardened vet to show them the way. Any chance you want to come over and be that person?"

AW: "Sure, but I only have two or 3 years left in me at the most and I don't want to lose the good will and reputation I have on the beaches. What can you do for me?"

BA: "Well, let's say we sign you up for 4 years. If you aren't up to it after 1, 2 or 3 years (or if you get injured) you retire and we pay you out for a percentage of the remaining years. Insurance will cover it if you get injured and if we don't think you are capable, the club has a heap of cash if needed."

AW: "Sounds good. See you November 1st at Old Salesyards".

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it went down (or something similar). Happens in business all the time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My main concern out of the game is what BA is going to do with Mannah. The writing is on the wall. It's a gig at 40 Winks as a display pillow or a salesman at Captain Snooze.
His attacking form has been very poor, but he's still been a starting middle forward in a top eight team, and his defensive workrate has been very high. Try to think of him as an extra lock and you'll understand his role better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we got lucky with his retirement in that the NRL wanted the salary cap stuff to go away. I'm not sure how confident the club would have been in exploiting any loophole. But who knows, they were a bunch of clueless shonks.
Well after it happened there was a lot of talk of closing said loophole, so it was obviously there.