What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

OldPanther

Coach
Old Panther.... Bottom line is the BIGGEST club in the comp in the Broncos have failed every year since 2006... So Griffin has failed just as much as Bennett and Henjak

The Broncos are in 5th and still have 1 bye to come. While they haven't won a comp since 2006 if we were in that position this discussion wouldn't be happening. Also they made the GF in 2015.

Last edited:

Royce is King

Juniors
Which bit of not winning a comp since 2006 don't you understand betcats ? At the end of the day you seem to know that griffin cant coach and hey....my opinion does not line up with someone who has the time to post nearly 13000 comments.... all of which are hugely positive i bet... ill bow out champ and watch you bitch from the sidelines.

mxlegend99

Referee
Which bit of not winning a comp since 2006 don't you understand betcats ? At the end of the day you seem to know that griffin cant coach and hey....my opinion does not line up with someone who has the time to post nearly 13000 comments.... all of which are hugely positive i bet... ill bow out champ and watch you bitch from the sidelines.
How many coaches would struggle to win even 50% of their games at Broncos?

Broncos 2011 - 74% (Thanks to Lockyer)
Broncos 2012 - 48%
Broncos 2013 - 42%
Broncos 2014 - 48%

Panthers 2016 - 57%
Panthers 2017 - 40%

He had one great seasom for Broncos on the back of Lockyer, and 3 terrible seasons by their standards. One season of 4 where he won 50%+.

With us he had a passable first season and now that he has had more time with our squad he is on track for his worst season as a coach and we are a joke. From premiership favorites to not even making the top 8.

Wayne Bennett has had two season in his 14 year Broncos career where he won less than 50% of his games. 2003 he won 48%. 2007 he won 44%.

12 seasons above 50%. 2 seasons below it. Even Ivan Henjack finished with a 56% win rate at Broncos.

Griffin is the biggest failure the Broncos have ever seen. Henjack is nearby... and Bennett is not close to a failure.

How many coaches would struggle to win even 50% of their games at Broncos?

Broncos 2011 - 74% (Thanks to Lockyer)
Broncos 2012 - 48%
Broncos 2013 - 42%
Broncos 2014 - 48%

Panthers 2016 - 57%
Panthers 2017 - 40%

He had one great seasom for Broncos on the back of Lockyer, and 3 terrible seasons by their standards. One season of 4 where he won 50%+.

With us he had a passable first season and now that he has had more time with our squad he is on track for his worst season as a coach and we are a joke. From premiership favorites to not even making the top 8.

Wayne Bennett has had two season in his 14 year Broncos career where he won less than 50% of his games. 2003 he won 48%. 2007 he won 44%.

12 seasons above 50%. 2 seasons below it. Even Ivan Henjack finished with a 56% win rate at Broncos.

Griffin is the biggest failure the Broncos have ever seen. Henjack is nearby... and Bennett is not close to a failure.
Facts don't mean shit to some

Exsilium

First Grade
The following teams have changed coaches in recent time. I have noted the teams that have won a premiership since changing coaches. This is based on the last change in guard and not premierships won under previous coaches like the Dragons and Manly.

Tigers - Sheens>Taylor>Cleary. (2017 - )

Warriors - Cleary> McFadden > Kearney (2017 -)

Eels - Kearney>Stuart>Arthur (2014-2017)

Titans - Cartwright>Henry (2014-2017)

Raiders - Furner > Stuart (2015-2017)

Dragons - Bennett>Price>Mary (2014-2017)

Knights - Stone>Bennett>Brown (2016 - 2017)

Manly - Hasler>Toovey>Barrett (2016 - 2017)

Bulldogs - Folkes>Moore>Hasler 2012 - 2017

Rabbitohs - Taylor>Lang>Maguire (2012-2017) Won a premiership

Cowboys - Henry > Green (2014 - 2017) Won a premiership

Broncos - Bennett>Griffin>Henjak>Bennett (2015-2017)

Melbourne - Anderson > Bellamy 2003-2017 Won a premiership

Roosters - Smith>Robinson (2012 - 2017) Won a premiership

Sharks - Stuart>Flanagan (2010 - 2017) Won a premiership

So, what is the difference between our coach/squad vs those that have gone all the way? Discuss.

OldPanther

Coach
The following teams have changed coaches in recent time. I have noted the teams that have won a premiership since changing coaches. This is based on the last change in guard and not premierships won under previous coaches like the Dragons and Manly.

Tigers - Sheens>Taylor>Cleary. (2017 - )

Warriors - Cleary> McFadden > Kearney (2017 -)

Eels - Kearney>Stuart>Arthur (2014-2017)

Titans - Cartwright>Henry (2014-2017)

Raiders - Furner > Stuart (2015-2017)

Dragons - Bennett>Price>Mary (2014-2017)

Knights - Stone>Bennett>Brown (2016 - 2017)

Manly - Hasler>Toovey>Barrett (2016 - 2017)

Bulldogs - Folkes>Moore>Hasler 2012 - 2017

Rabbitohs - Taylor>Lang>Maguire (2012-2017) Won a premiership

Cowboys - Henry > Green (2014 - 2017) Won a premiership

Broncos - Bennett>Griffin>Henjak>Bennett (2015-2017)

Melbourne - Anderson > Bellamy 2003-2017 Won a premiership

Roosters - Smith>Robinson (2012 - 2017) Won a premiership

Sharks - Stuart>Flanagan (2010 - 2017) Won a premiership

So, what is the difference between our coach/squad vs those that have gone all the way? Discuss.

The teams that won were/are good defencive teams for a start.

betcats

Referee

Hahaha righto enjoy you dumb f**k.

OldPanther

Coach

But they made the 2015 GF. Do you think we'd be having this conversation if we were in the running this year?

1. He is the only Penrith coach in history to coach a team that missed the finals the year before into the finals in his first year as coach.

2015 was our worst year for injuries ever, absolutely diabolical. A rebound was only natural.

2. We are not dead yet in 2017.

We're dead as a premiership threat, 0/7 against the top 8 tells you that.

If we squeeze into the 8 we'll be absolute cannon fodder.

3. Since 2003 we have won the same amount of comps as ..... Canterbury , Brisbane , Roosters , Storm ,Cowboys and South Sydney..... look at the, rosters , money, membership numbers, population , etc that these clubs have compared to us... think about that for a second.

This club needs more than premierships, it needs consistency to build a solid fan base. We've never consistently made the finals in our 50 year history.

Consistency first, premierships second.

All those clubs you mentioned have been to the finals most years since 2003, except for perhaps Souths.

4.Since Griffin has become coach we have resigned basically every player that we have wanted.... and as far as i know, all players signed on without going on the open market.... basically does not happen in todays game.... that is something that i think we all overlook. If all this talent did not think the guy could coach why would they play under him for the next in some cases 5 yrs?

That's Gus.

And players are not necessarily a good judge of coach, I remember Elliott had many fans amongst our ranks. Then the players wanted steve Georgalis to take over.

5. Phil Gould is no dope.. If Griffin was as shit as some people seem to" know "he is do you think Gould would allow him to continue in the role as coach just so he does not have to admit he got it wrong as our football boss?

Gus is as smart as they come. He's also as stubborn as they come. Even the smartest guys can be beaten by their stubbornness.

As i said from the start I am no expert in judging if Griffin is a great coach or not but imo he has the best players that he can pick in our team this weekend and who knows .... a win against the Eagles could be the start of a run for us.

A new coach and Griffin to be sacked .... Not going to happen.

How long do we wait?

I've heard several people say "we only need to come good in the second half of the year"

When does that happen?!

And besides when has a team ever achieved much just doing that? Parra in 09 maybe? Tigers 05. It's very rare.

TheFrog

Coach
2015 was our worst year for injuries ever, absolutely diabolical. A rebound was only natural.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. If the coach is to be crucified when we are beaten (and this thread has now reached 150 posts since the last game) you've got to give him credit when the side goes well, as in last year.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If the coach is to be crucified when we are beaten (and this thread has now reached 150 posts since the last game) you've got to give him credit when the side goes well, as in last year.

If you look at 2016 in isolation sure. It was a decent season.

But when I consider that all his years without Lockyer at the Broncos were a failure and then add this season in, the overall picture isn't good.

As blasphemous as it sounds...a (likely) heavy loss this weekend will have a silver lining..

...it will be one step closer to having this loser, hack son of a b*tch coach out of our club, once and for all.

betcats

Referee
As blasphemous as it sounds...a (likely) heavy loss this weekend will have a silver lining..

...it will be one step closer to having this loser, hack son of a b*tch coach out of our club, once and for all.

I will get flamed for this but I am almost at the point of hoping for this, force the clubs hand with a heavy flogging. Not quite there yet but I wouldn't be disappointed if we start getting hammered on sat, ill just turn it off and wait for some good news on Monday with my fingers crossed.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I will get flamed for this but I am almost at the point of hoping for this, force the clubs hand with a heavy flogging. Not quite there yet but I wouldn't be disappointed if we start getting hammered on sat, ill just turn it off and wait for some good news on Monday with my fingers crossed.

I will probably get flamed too but I agree.

mxlegend99

Referee
Thanks to Lockyer?
In part. Yes.

But he still had above the 50% win rate which is the point. He's regarded as a terrible coach yet the Broncos roster was good enough that winning atleast half your games is achievable more often than not.

Except for Griffin. He achieved it once in 4 years... his one good year just happened to be Lockyers last which was extra incentive for his players.

The year he leaves Broncos they are straight into a grand final having won 70.37% of their games. A big jump from the 48% he won a year earlier.

Latest posts