What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 and beyond, our squad and recruitment.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now, there's been a lot of conjecture about our squad, who we have re-signed and signed and those who we have yet to sign/re-sign.
The salary cap is still not set and have we overspent on some players yet undervalued others? or, has the recruitment team got it right?
So, lets look at our position moving forward and below is the list of players currently signed for 2018 and beyond:

Forwards: 11 signed (5 off contract 2018)
LAM - Prop - (2018), JDB - Lock - (2020), Friz - 2R - (2020), Host - 2R/P - (2020), Kerr - 2R/P - (2018), Lawrie - P - (2019), Leilua - 2R - (2018), Sele - P - (2018), Sims - 2R/P - (2019), Thompson - 2R - (2018), Vaughan - P - (2021)

Backs: 9 signed (5 off contract 2018)
Aitken - C - (2020), Dufty - FB - (2018), Garrick - W - (2018), Herbert - C/W - (2018), Lafai - C - (2020), McDonald - W - (2019), Mann - U - (2019), Nightingale - W/FB - (2018), Periera - W - (2018)

Halves: 3 signed (0 off contract 2018)
Field* (2019), Hunt (2021), Widdop (2021)
*Maybe a backs option as well

Hookers: 2 signed (1 off contract 2018)
McInnes (2018), Robson (2019)

This makes a total of 25 signed players so far (inc the new signing Periera).

There are several current U20's that have contract with STGI and with this competition being reduced to a state league next year, they should be included in at least the NSW Cup squad. IMO (and some may differ with this) based on potential:

Current U20's:
Matheson Johns (2018), Zac Lomax (2019), Steve Masters (2019), Jackson Willis (2018)
I think others have potential like Tristan Sailor who also could be added to the list but is his body capable of the next level?

Millward has stated he's in the market for a prop to replace Packer, so:

Adding our squad (as above) would get us to 30.

From our current squad, who are yet to re-sign, who would you re-sign? and I think you have to look at what positions we lack depth or even skill. For mine I would look at:
Dodd (C/W), Hutch (Halves), Mathews (2R), Isaac Thompson (W) and possibly Havili (U forward).

This is our position with many players off contract next year including some promising juniors.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Now, there's been a lot of conjecture about our squad, who we have re-signed and signed and those who we have yet to sign/re-sign.
The salary cap is still not set and have we overspent on some players yet undervalued others? or, has the recruitment team got

From our current squad, who are yet to re-sign, who would you re-sign? and I think you have to look at what positions we lack depth or even skill. For mine I would look at:
Dodd (C/W), Hutch (Halves), Mathews (2R), Isaac Thompson (W) and possibly Havili (U forward).

This is our position with many players off contract next year including some promising juniors.

Dragonslayer

Out of the above players.
I would keep hutch as back up .
But would wait and see how he goes
When he comes back.
He is solid and wouldn't cost much.
I would like us to get payne as well.
Dodd was going well untill injured.
Would keep for 1 year see how he goes.
Isaac not sure he is built like Tarzan and plays more often than not like jane.
Mybe 1 year at a time.
Mathews gives his best but we don't need him we have plenty of second rowers.
As far as I know Havilli has been told to look elsewhere.
With Robson and McInnes we are strong in the hooker position.
Also young cooper Purcell has the goods as well. Imo

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Agree about Payne and I did forget about him when I wrote that post.
The thing with Hutch that worries me the most is that he has had an offer on the table for a while now but has yet to accept. I know he wants a first grade gig and I do think his manager is shopping around for that opportunity...Knights maybe.
I wasn't aware that Havili had been told to move on and maybe your right about Matthews but I was thinking some experience would be necessary for the reserves otherwise it would be basically filled with U20's players.

Quite a few players got old they can move on thats why Lewis and Nona decided to go pre june 30.

McCrone and KFFL where two players that got told they should move on and they have.
Hutchison wants to stay and i think he may.
Glymin won't be offered a new deal from what I was told.
Mathews was told wait and see after his injury.
Hind's form has them thinking he deserves another year maybe 2.
Dodd is still thought of at the club regardless of injury but has had offers elsewhere from who I wasn't told that.
Mose looks likely heading back to the UK and McCarthy may follow him.
Havili was told to look elsewhere the same as Marketo.

The NSW Cup team which ever road they take either a fully functioning reserve grade squad or a feeder club Millward is scouting around the NSW Cup and Q Cup hense the signing or Periera.

Head wants to have a closer look at players like Payne, the Clune brothers, Fletcher and J Gallagher a;; ex NYC players who could be brought in on second tier deals.

Also quite a few players from the NYC comp from other clubs tend to drop down into the Illawarra to play either it be the Illawarra based clubs or group 7 so they will look at them to.

possm

Coach
Quite a few players got old they can move on thats why Lewis and Nona decided to go pre june 30.

McCrone and KFFL where two players that got told they should move on and they have.
Hutchison wants to stay and i think he may.
Glymin won't be offered a new deal from what I was told.
Mathews was told wait and see after his injury.
Hind's form has them thinking he deserves another year maybe 2.
Dodd is still thought of at the club regardless of injury but has had offers elsewhere from who I wasn't told that.
Mose looks likely heading back to the UK and McCarthy may follow him.
Havili was told to look elsewhere the same as Marketo.

The NSW Cup team which ever road they take either a fully functioning reserve grade squad or a feeder club Millward is scouting around the NSW Cup and Q Cup hense the signing or Periera.

Head wants to have a closer look at players like Payne, the Clune brothers, Fletcher and J Gallagher a;; ex NYC players who could be brought in on second tier deals.

Also quite a few players from the NYC comp from other clubs tend to drop down into the Illawarra to play either it be the Illawarra based clubs or group 7 so they will look at them to.
Millward should have a scout based in NZ. Pick up some big mean forwards and classy backs from NZ rugby union.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agree about Payne and I did forget about him when I wrote that post.
The thing with Hutch that worries me the most is that he has had an offer on the table for a while now but has yet to accept. I know he wants a first grade gig and I do think his manager is shopping around for that opportunity...Knights maybe.
I wasn't aware that Havili had been told to move on and maybe your right about Matthews but I was thinking some experience would be necessary for the reserves otherwise it would be basically filled with U20's players.

Mate I was talking to hutch last week and he has a fresh offer.
He stated that he want to stay .

watatank

Coach
We have done fine with recruitment as far as next year goes. But we have talked about so many of our young players as prospects, at what point will they become more established? Herbert, Garrick and Dufty, highly rated outside backs will be age 21-22 with an opening at fullback and looking for an eventual replacement for Nightingale? Kerr and Sele are off contract and we haven't replaced Packer yet and Ah Mau off contract next year...Leilua will be off contract after all the hype of last year and Thompson off contract next year. Not everyone will make it but we have had our best juniors come through in years (and the club has made a point of that), we have to turn that into something.

ALSGI

Bench
If we can sign Alex Johnston, Junior Paulo, Sandor Earl, Kasiano and Bird we can build a squad around them as long as we get Hassler or Cleary as Coach.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
One thing for sure they are clearing out the fringe players and at the same time leaving Illawarra with no one to use.

It will be interesting to see the dynamics of the NSW Cup as a competition next year and with no national U20's comp they will be (i assume) the pre-curser game to 1st grade. Most of the 1st grade teams have a "feeder" club in NSW cup or QLD cup. I heard also that Fiji were close to being included in NSW Cup next year.
So fringe and part-time players are being let go probably because they know they'll never play 1st grade.
Players like McCarthy who want an opportunity wont get it in Oz IMO thats why they are being picked up by SL teams.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Sadly whilst the incumbent is a coach who can't coach we are f**ked.
Good coaches create good teams.

Obviously the Board, CEO , Coyne et al don't give a stuff. Long live the boys club.
Why should the fans care.!!!!!!!!

James roberts a possibility to be in the red v 2018 as fullback.

The Cutters play in red I believe.
Mate, we could sign Thurston and McDullard wouldnt change the team to fit him.

Sorry, that may have been too harsh, he'd get a go off the bench with 10 to go when we're down by 30.

Latest posts