What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

Fangs

Coach
Honestly, I'd just wear it (his inability to defend at centre). We can't fit Peachey in the backrow. Consider that JFH and Cartwright are still yet to return.

I see more benefit in Peachey playing 80 over Whare given the way the Panthers play football. I'm a big Whare fan but he has been catching a cold all year. He deserves a better club.

betcats

Referee
f**k me, agreeing with Umina Panther, as if Monday mornings couldn't get any worse!

Do missed tackles take into account how many times a player turns his outside shoulder in giving the opposing centre an untouched stroll to the try line on the outside? I love Peach, but that's his favourite defensive tactic.

No just like it doesn't count all the times Whare rushed in and tackled the wrong guy and leaves us short while the play moves past him. I don't know if he has just lost a step or if it is more but Whares decision making on when to come in or stay out has been off all year, not only that ive seen him come in more than once and read it so wrong he ends up tackling the decoy, he has plenty of defensive errors this season that don't register in the stats. As a centre if you rush in like that the ball cant go past you and with Whare that is happening more often than not.

franklin2323

Immortal
Looking back I do think it was a better performance than I initially gave the team credit for, particularly in defence.

But the major issue is still not being able to formulate a plan in the last 20m. Our tactics are absolute rubbish.

It happens when you rush halves together due to desperation

betcats

Referee
As Big Pete pointed out Griffins broncos teams were just like us inside the 20, he cant coach attack our whole plan is wait for someone to miss a tackle, we don't even force defenders to make decisions because we are flat, we barely if ever use decoys and we take our centres out of play most of the time. We are limiting our own playmakers options and time as much as we possibly can, we have a coach that didn't let them use attacking kicks for half a season ffs.

franklin2323

Immortal
As Big Pete pointed out Griffins broncos teams were just like us inside the 20, he cant coach attack our whole plan is wait for someone to miss a tackle, we don't even force defenders to make decisions because we are flat, we barely if ever use decoys and we take our centres out of play most of the time. We are limiting our own playmakers options and time as much as we possibly can, we have a coach that didn't let them use attacking kicks for half a season ffs.

We have started using them more. Last year we didn't do many grubbers I guess it was it worked then so will work now type of thing

betcats

Referee
If we are stuck with Griffin(We shouldn't be considering we are very likely going to miss the 8) we NEED to bring in an assistant to help the attack like Jason Taylor at the roosters.

franklin2323

Immortal
If we are stuck with Griffin(We shouldn't be considering we are very likely going to miss the 8) we NEED to bring in an assistant to help the attack like Jason Taylor at the roosters.

All we need from the halves is to give it too the centres early. between them and Bryce the points will come. A few set moves from an assistant would be perfect

betcats

Referee
All we need from the halves is to give it too the centres early. between them and Bryce the points will come. A few set moves from an assistant would be perfect

They cant get the ball to the centres early due to the flat attacking structure we are using, this is the main criticism everyone has of our attacking structure. This is why we are seeing so many intercepts and so many silly errors, the entire side is under pressure to get the ball wide but standing so flat we just cant do it consistently. Moylan used to put our centres away at will, but this season playing FB or five eight he just cant do it which is why a rookie backrower is our leading try scorer, the centres have been taken out of play. Every team in the comp but us use set plays, even the knights put a beautifully slick set backline move on us, we haven't do that to any team all year.

I think we will see a bit more depth this week because comments from Whare and Moylan the last few weeks make me think they working on it, but it shouldn't take half a season or more of dog shit attack before our coach starts adding some variations or changing it completely. Either way I have no confidence that Griffin will ever coach an effective attacking football team.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
You hit the nail on the head Betcats. Franklin's comment about the "halves giving it to the centres early" is good in theory but almost impossible with the current structure.

I provided facts to back this up a couple of weeks ago. Our passes from halves to the centres is the lowest in the NRL.

betcats

Referee
You hit the nail on the head Betcats. Franklin's comment about the "halves giving it to the centres early" is good in theory but almost impossible with the current structure.

I provided facts to back this up a couple of weeks ago. Our passes from halves to the centres is the lowest in the NRL.

I missed those stats but its not surprising. Look at the dogs game, a contest which we completely dominated and yet we still couldn't get the ball to our centres, we scored two tries off Yeo offloads where the defence of the dogs was literally up and in our attacking line on the edges both times before the ball is out of the halves hands. All our tries just came of Dogs misses despite dominating that game. Like I said earlier in the week 90 percent of our time spent attacking giving the ball to the centres isn't an option at all, its physically impossible.

franklin2323

Immortal
They cant get the ball to the centres early due to the flat attacking structure we are using, this is the main criticism everyone has of our attacking structure. This is why we are seeing so many intercepts and so many silly errors, the entire side is under pressure to get the ball wide but standing so flat we just cant do it consistently. Moylan used to put our centres away at will, but this season playing FB or five eight he just cant do it which is why a rookie backrower is our leading try scorer, the centres have been taken out of play. Every team in the comp but us use set plays, even the knights put a beautifully slick set backline move on us, we haven't do that to any team all year.

I think we will see a bit more depth this week because comments from Whare and Moylan the last few weeks make me think they working on it, but it shouldn't take half a season or more of dog shit attack before our coach starts adding some variations or changing it completely. Either way I have no confidence that Griffin will ever coach an effective attacking football team.

Were we that flat with Soward at half? If you watch u20's of any side stands flat. That seems to be our mentality atm the players only know one way. That works in juniors due to poor defence and is why we struggle against good teams

Need coaching to be out of that mindset. Lets use your example of Jason Taylor. I dare say his 1st instruction would be for everyone in the backs to take a step further back. Halfback included it would then open up the backline more

franklin2323

Immortal
Does the above average take into account Peachey playing in the forwards? His tackle efficiency is a lot worse in the centres.

Big League had a stat for ulities. Cutherson, Peachey a few others. 2nd row PEachey tackle % was 91.5 bench was 93%. Centre 66.3%. Like with our attack he is just used wrong. He should be the 1st interchange used

OldPanther

Coach

I've said the same thing. Let him focus on defence. It would be similar to the Roosters coaching structure.

Doomednow

Bench
I feel like if our coach was anywhere near good we'd have a couple of players considered for origin. But we dont, because none of them are coached to play to their strengths. Because Griffin is f**king awful at his job.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I feel like if our coach was anywhere near good we'd have a couple of players considered for origin. But we dont, because none of them are coached to play to their strengths. Because Griffin is f**king awful at his job.

Agree! It is an absolute joke that we got no one in Origin given the talent we have in our squad.

Latest posts