What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angus Crichton

POPEYE

Coach
If we don't offer him a 5+ year contract at top dollar and the captaincy post-GI, we're nuts. The kid is a gun, a good guy, a natural leader - you build sides around guys like that.
Depends who the builder is . . . the kid deserves to go to Storm/Roosters/Cowboys/Sharks . . . until more supercoaches are found

souths_reborn

Juniors
If we don't offer him a 5+ year contract at top dollar and the captaincy post-GI, we're nuts. The kid is a gun, a good guy, a natural leader - you build sides around guys like that.
We've got form in being stingy to players who perform well. Cody Walker is on bugger all despite being one of our better performers - mind you if he wasn't happy with his contract then he should have asked for more instead of signing it. Also, it beggars belief that we offered Nathan Brown, arguably our best forward last season alongside Sam, 120k and let him walk to Eels where he is verging on becoming an origin player.

Danish

Referee
Well potentially the club would've said 'Look, you can still play but there's a chance it could break, it's up to you' and maybe he agreed to it. Who knows? All I'm saying is you can't talk shit unless you know the facts. Then again, look who I'm talking to.

I'm sure they did, but as I said players will always take the "I'm going to play" option if it is given to them. The whole point of a medical staff is to take the choice out of the player's hands, like we do with concussion.

I understand a player wanting to get back out there and a coaching staff letting them in big moments e.g. Burgess's broken cheek bone or SKD's broken jaw in grand finals. Its stupid though to allow a player to do it for months of the regular season when you are going nowhere anyway.

big hit!

Bench
I hate this "let's not throw them in too early" attitude. As I posted in the Mitch Pearce thread after the Origin 3 debacle, QLD threw a rookie in to a spine position in a decider.... He brained them.

Why should NSW wait longer to throw someone like Crichton in? The bloke is good enough already, he'll be even more ready come June 2018.

If we don't start picking the bloke's who might win a series ASAP we'll be doomed to definitely lose series in the meantime while we're waiting for others to be ready... The origin cash cow will be no more at this rate... People will stop turning up to watch a la 1988 when there were spare seats galore at the SFS when QLD were handing us our ass on a plate

QLD have the environment to nurture a young bloke and look after him.. even though munster was selected in an important position, smith, cronk and slater were still there to organise and run the show. furthermore, munsters role was basically exactly the same as it is every other week of the year. same player, same combos, same game.

throw someone like cleary in for NSW and who else is there to take the reins? the two environments are completely different. in the NSW camp, others are more likely to hang him out to save their ow neck. the blame game is always lurking for NSW

Pedge1971

First Grade
QLD have the environment to nurture a young bloke and look after him.. even though munster was selected in an important position, smith, cronk and slater were still there to organise and run the show. furthermore, munsters role was basically exactly the same as it is every other week of the year. same player, same combos, same game.

throw someone like cleary in for NSW and who else is there to take the reins? the two environments are completely different. in the NSW camp, others are more likely to hang him out to save their ow neck. the blame game is always lurking for NSW

Or they will take him out on an 8 hour bender lol....

Angus will never hit the open market. He will be as important to the team as Sam Burgess is now, going forward. No way will we let him even entertain thoughts of going elsewhere.

The kid is enjoying playing for Souths and loves the club anyway so its a good fit. He will be tied up again before other teams are even allowed to get a sniff.

If a kid like Crichton is allowed to leave our club for any reason then Richo and Madge should both follow him out the door.

Incorrect

Coach
once again, QLD have the environment. who does NSW have? Pearce, Maloney? Peats? Sharon?
Righto - so we shouldn't pick a guy until we wait for some other blokes to step up and start providing the nurturing environment the former needs to get comfortable in the Origin arena.... so maybe we can pick Crichton in 2021 after QLD have continued to ream NSW in 2018, 19 and 20??? You leave a bloke out of the team because of the shortcomings of others? I don't understand that approach.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Righto - so we shouldn't pick a guy until we wait for some other blokes to step up and start providing the nurturing environment the former needs to get comfortable in the Origin arena.... so maybe we can pick Crichton in 2021 after QLD have continued to ream NSW in 2018, 19 and 20??? You leave a bloke out of the team because of the shortcomings of others? I don't understand that approach.

No. I just think where it sits right now blokes like Cordner, Frizell, Jake Trbo etc are better oprions.

If Crighton maintains form and fitness for the rest of the year and next then he is probanly part of the conversation.

He only debuted at the end of last year and has 20 off ganes to his name.

Incorrect

Coach
No. I just think where it sits right now blokes like Cordner, Frizell, Jake Trbo etc are better oprions.

If Crighton maintains form and fitness for the rest of the year and next then he is probanly part of the conversation.

He only debuted at the end of last year and has 20 off ganes to his name.
Furry muff...

big hit!

Bench

talking about a team that's going to be selected in about 300 days. is Crichton already a given? let's see the lay of the land for NSW in May next season before already selecting him as an edge forward.

one thing is for certain - frizell, bird, jTrob and Klemmer are probably the only players based on this series who would be guaranteed to be re-selected. add cordner only because he is captain. that's not a bad start for a rebuild TBH. all young and already exposed to a series or two, and if they continue to play to the form they have shown so far, they should be part of the NSW set up for years to come. if you were to select the team with those players right now, i'd seriously put Bird as the starting right half, Cordner left forward, Frizell starting middle forward, Klemmer starting prop, and JTrob interchange middle forward. but as i said, the team isnt going to be selected for another 300 days.

come may next year, i'd love to see the further development of Tommy T, Jimmy Roberts, Cleary, Crichton, etc. They need a solid end to the season and a great opening 10 rounds next year.

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
We don't need to wait for next year to pick nsw's team. We don't pick for on current form, we base our selections on long term criteria. Every player from this years 17 were already a part of a pool of about 30 players that Daley and co decided on in december last year. This years form only decided which 13 players were cut from the original 30. Nsw will already have in their mind who to pick in 2018

Queensland pick who's best at the time. If you would have said Hess in for Thaiday and Wallace in for Myles exactly 12 months ago, they would have committed you to an asylum

Pedge1971

First Grade
We don't need to wait for next year to pick nsw's team. We don't pick for on current form, we base our selections on long term criteria. Every player from this years 17 were already a part of a pool of about 30 players that Daley and co decided on in december last year. This years form only decided which 13 players were cut from the original 30. Nsw will already have in their mind who to pick in 2018

Queensland pick who's best at the time. If you would have said Hess in for Thaiday and Wallace in for Myles exactly 12 months ago, they would have committed you to an asylum

Ah so thats how Ben Hunt got the nod ahead of DCE.....

Tommy Smith

Referee
As good a young edge forward to hit the scene since SBW.

That Rabbitohs jersey just doesn't suit him though.

As a Roosters fan growing up he belongs in the red white and blue where he can challenge for Premierships.

The only silverware Souffs look like competing for over the next 5 years is spoons.

Spot On

Coach
So when do the Roosters announce the signing Tommy???

They've let enough go now to make sure he jumps ship haven't they?