What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with our attack?

lucablight

First Grade
Is anyone else a bit puzzled by the teams inability to score points? It seems to have been that way for the past couple of seasons now and I can't really figure out why. As of round 20 there are only 3 teams that have scored less points than us (i.e the knights, tigers and Bulldogs). I recall our opening game against Manly where we had basically all the ball the entire first half (ended 60-40 our way in the end) and we made more than 500m yet still only won by 8 points.

A lot of the time we attack the opposition 20m zone we look lost, disjointed and impotent. The Tigers have the second worst defence in the NRL and we still struggled to crack them today when close to their line. I can't put it down to a roster problem because we have a lot of great attacking weapons other teams would kill for in Gutherson, French, Radradra, Jennings, Moses, Norman and it would have to be close to one of the best backlines in the comp.

I would hazard a guess and say we haven't looked like a great attacking team since Hayne and Sandow were in the side (even last year we were grinding out wins). I'm glad we've been winning but our lack of attack could really hurt us because our for and against is by far the worst in the top 8 and we could potentially miss out on a top 4 spot or even worse a finals berth because of it. So anyone have any theories as to why we struggle so much in attack despite having so many gun players in the backline?

Last edited:

rapture

Juniors
We might not score as many points as you like, but we don't struggle to score tries.

We've only scored less than two tries in a game twice this year. Against the Sharks and a full strength Cowboys.

strider

Post Whore
We looked a bit lost in the opposition 20 - except that one try to Semi which was sweet as

I think teams know we are gonna try go wide around em

lucablight

First Grade
We might not score as many points as you like, but we don't struggle to score tries.

We've only scored less than two tries in a game twice this year. Against the Sharks and a full strength Cowboys.

This is factually incorrect. We are ranked 13th in tries scored with 55. Only the Knights, Bulldogs and Tigers have scored less.

rapture

Juniors
This is factually incorrect. We are ranked 13th in tries scored with 55. Only the Knights, Bulldogs and Tigers have scored less.
I don't think averaging 18.5 points per game means we struggle to score points.

More experience, and a pre-season together, will help our spine create more opportunities next year.

Noise

Coach
I don't think averaging 18.5 points per game means we struggle to score points.

More experience, and a pre-season together, will help our spine create more opportunities next year.

When 13 teams are averaging more points then I think it does.

But I don't give a shit if we are winning

Basil Brush

Juniors
I am not sure if anything is wrong with our attack, but what is wrong with paragraphs?

In all honesty, Arthur summed it up before the game in an interview. He said we have had a lot of injuries ( believe he said our injury issues were underrated) and we may have had 6 different spine combinations. However Moses is getting better and so is the team as a whole.

Hopefully we hit our peak in the finals.

Latest posts