What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Forum Layout

Bandwagon

Staff member
So over the past while I've been having issues with my computer locking up due to resources.

I5 Laptop W10 ( clean install ) 4g Ram. Problem ended up being chrome hogging all the ram, leaving nothing to work with. Long story short I ran chromes task manger and it's this site ( even if not the current window ) slowly but surely chewing up ram, It opens at about 140mb and I can literally watch it climb to around 2.5 gig, then things start to freeze.

Ran dirtyfreeloader on the site and after a coupla hours it's sitting pretty at about 180mb.

Houston we have a problem.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I use Chrome also and mine is at 150mb which seems quiet normal.

Yeah it is, the problem is without the adblocker, it starts consuming memory until there is no more left. Like I posted, 2.5 gig of ram plus.

Also tried an another older computer I have running xp, same, starts at about 150 and rises until unusable.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Just checked and currently running at around 200mb, that's with the dirtyfreeloader on, will switch it off for a while and let you know result.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ok, so dirtyfreeloader turned back on, no other changes ( 'cept I did get another beer ) and back down to 200 odd MB.

phantom eel

First Grade
I logged in through a different than usual browser yesterday, and was surprised by the resultion of the rollover video content ads - something about the army I think?

That shit can chew up cache resources, unless it's self-removing, or otherwise shut down durung a browsing session.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it is, the problem is without the adblocker, it starts consuming memory until there is no more left. Like I posted, 2.5 gig of ram plus.

Also tried an another older computer I have running xp, same, starts at about 150 and rises until unusable.

The figure I gave was without an add blocker.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The figure I gave was without an add blocker.

Yeah, I know.

Tried the same on my gaming PC, left it sit there idling for a couple of hours logged in, only counted up to about 220MB and hung around there. ( no add blocker )

It's strange, because it's only this site that displays the issue on my laptop, and the add blocker fixes it. As I said, it's a clean install of w10, and chrome, settings are all default except I turn off everything that sends anything to third parties. ( my gaming pc has the same settings ) I've run full scans of malwarebytes adware and defender, got nothing at all.

strider

Post Whore
Depends on the ad? ... laptop might be getting different ads cos it hasnt tracked your browsing habits yet??? ... just a total guess

Latest posts