What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Intrust Super Cup - Finals 2017

expansionist

Juniors
OK so here we go. 2 matches today and the stage is set for next weekend.

SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS 26 (Matthew Soper-Lawler, Ryley Jacks, Guy Hamilton, Scott Drinkwater, Christopher Lewis tries; Guy Hamilton 3 goals) def SOUTHS LOGAN MAGPIES 18 (Sam Lavea, Travis Waddell, Sam Scarlett tries; Jamayne Isaako 3 goals) at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

EASTS TIGERS 20 (Jarrod McInally, Billy Walters, Jack Svendsen, Tommy Butterfield tries; Billy Walters 2 goals) def TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 16 (Jonathon Reuben 2, Paul Byrnes tries; Kyle Laybutt 2 goals) at Suzuki Stadium, Langlands Park

I was at the Easts game and it was a scare. Kicking the ball around with my boys before the match and the wind was really noticable. TSV ran with the wind in the first half, scored some point, but really Easts were terrible.

TSV played very hard, but Easts dropped ball and Brodie Croft had a very poor game. Im not a fan of Billy Walters at 5/8th but today he did well.
A massive game, a strong come back and I havent been that excited watching a game for a long time!

Next weekend will be massive!

Poor Souths I was hoping theyd do it, but they were up against it.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Easts Vs Falcons this week will be intense and interesting.
All of their Storm players going head to head.

Brutus

Referee
Yep Croft was ordinary. I've heard he was injured though and will miss this week.

expansionist

Juniors
Yep Croft was ordinary. I've heard he was injured though and will miss this week.
Croft unlikely to be back this season apparently. Brayden Torpy and Billy Walters i think looked better as halves pairing anyway.

The Sunshine Coast v Easts game should be a cracker.

Anyone want to make some picks?

I reckon Easts will do it, and I reckon PNG will roll Redcliffe.

Brutus

Referee
Croft unlikely to be back this season apparently. Brayden Torpy and Billy Walters i think looked better as halves pairing anyway.

The Sunshine Coast v Easts game should be a cracker.

Anyone want to make some picks?

I reckon Easts will do it, and I reckon PNG will roll Redcliffe.

Agree.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/sport/png-hu...e/news-story/12485a76eeb73da5715745731e3c393c

PNG Hunters coach Michael Marum says minor Intrust Super Cup premiers can handle pressure

PNG coach Michael Marum has backed the minor premiers to avoid another finals fade out, saying the Hunters are better equipped this year to deal with outside expectations.

Marum’s side finished the regular Intrust Super Cup season on top of the ladder for the first time in club history and will this week host the Redcliffe Dolphins in a preliminary final on Sunday.

With the winner of the clash to advance straight to the September 24 grand final, Marum admitted there was plenty of pressure on the Port Moresby side to deliver.

The Hunters have made the finals over the past two seasons, but failed to progress to the premiership decider.

But Marum said the fact the club had won the minor premiership showed they were learning how to overcome outside expectations.

“There’s a lot more pressure on not only myself but the players and their families. It’s going to be big for the country,” Marum said.

“Leading into the Wynnum Manly game (to win the minor premiership), there was a bit more pressure on the boys to go out and get the result. It came with a lot of expectations ... but we got that over now.

“We understand the importance of this weekend’s game. We’re playing at home and we finished No.1. But I don’t want to put too much pressure on the players.

“All we can do is make sure we prepare them really well and that they go out there on Sunday and play their best footy.”

he last time the two sides met in Port Moresby was in Round 7, with the Hunters holding on to a narrow 12-10 victory.

The Dolphins took revenge in Round 21 with a massive 28-12 win in Redcliffe.

The memory of that loss still burns for Marum, and he knows his team won’t take Adam Mogg’s men for granted.

“We respect the Dolphins side, they’re a quality side,” he said.

“We just have to turn up and play our best game.

“We came a long way since pre-season to where we are now and we’ve done really well to get to this stage. All we can ask for is a good finish.”

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Hunters big problem is discipline

Last time they played the Dolphins they were awful and got spanked. I think theyll be better at home but i still think they will struggle

expansionist

Juniors
I didnt see the Souths v Sunny Coast game, but heard from someone today that SC Falcons looked very good... he said the scoreline flattered Souths and that SC bombed a heap more tries.
Im at a work conference this weekend so wont be able to attend the game this weekend.

ALX25

Juniors
I didnt see the Souths v Sunny Coast game, but heard from someone today that SC Falcons looked very good... he said the scoreline flattered Souths and that SC bombed a heap more tries.
Im at a work conference this weekend so wont be able to attend the game this weekend.

Let Souths back into the game with some ordinary defence and lack of discipline. The side needs Hamilton instead of Drinkwater.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Let Souths back into the game with some ordinary defence and lack of discipline. The side needs Hamilton instead of Drinkwater.

Hamilton has been one of sunshine coasts best for the year, yet he could be left out of sundays game with Jarome Hughes and Brendan Smith back in the side

Chip Kick

Juniors
This weekends game between the Hunters and Dolphins is going to be interesting
injury to Eliab forced a change in the centre position with Bland Abavu coming up against Pangai Jnr...

This is definitely going to be cracker, if Redcliff can managed to silence the ground in the opening minutes they can take this game away... its not going to be easy

Tipping Hunters of course :)

BRL prelim final result:

Valleys 30 d West Brisbane 12 at Emerson Park

Next Saturday's Grand Final will be Redcliffe v Valleys at Bishop Park (4pm)

Brutus

Referee
Is there any live streaming of the PNG semi today? Doesn't appear anything in place on the QRL website.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I think the TV station up there has the rights so there is never live streaming from PNG.

Sad but true.

expansionist

Juniors
Im at a conference today so cant make it to the game.. so disappointed.

Im off OS tomorrow now too, so will miss next weekend.. back intime for the GF.. Go Easts!

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Easts having their trademark choke currently.

I f**king hate being a Tigers supporter.

I thought I had a long wait to see a Wynnum Premiership. It took from when I started going to games when I was 7 until my 25th birthday in 1982. Gee, that's only 18 years - must seem like minutes to an Easts supporter.

Wynnum also didn't suffer multiple Grand Final losses in the interim either.

Desert, I can see your frustration.