What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheParraboy

Staff member
Main thing now is to prepare for either Sharks or Cowboys next week

I don't have a preference. We need to clinically give either side no chance of a sniff of a win throughout the game, and ourselves be in control and win the game comfortably wether it be by 6 or 26 points.

One thing I do know whichever side we play , we have a far better composed and gelling side than when we played either side last time around

strider

Post Whore
We had a fair few tough calls but could and probably should have won that game if we didn't lose our nerve with discipline. We all know Melbourne are going to get favourable calls, that's the nature of the beast when they have influential players on the field talking to the refs. But even with all that, we should have won the game but shot ourselves in the foot a few times. As I said earlier we lost that game, gave it to them via our poor discipline.
Our completion rate was better than theirs ... we dropped a few balls, but so did they ... they made more errors than us

I would call the Mau taking out Slater one very poor discipline ... it was dumb and unnecessary ... i dont think any other penalties were really dumb other than a last minute frustrated one when the game was over

The only reason they dominated 2nd half possession was a 6-1 penalty count ... i dont believe we were that ill disciplined ... i would call maybe 2 or 3 of them silly penalties ... but its still baffling we only manage 1 penalty in a half of footy against the most penalised team in the nrl

Eelementary

Post Whore
For me, the worst call (aside from their first try), was a tackle on Semi in the second half; the Storm players literally stayed on top of Semi for 5 seconds, and no penalty was given.

Not to mention Smith whinging about everything all game. He's such a cumstain.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Dont under estimate Terepo. He is in the same class as Matagi,Vave,Manah,Alvaro.And at worse adds some depth.

My favourite play of game was Alvaro elbow to head. That was nice to see he isnt a soft touch anymore. He has suprised me. Will come on next season even more.

Shame we lost Tepai. He was looking brutal in both attack and defense.

We also without Gutherson and Bevan. Auvau was immense and it showed that even without semi whon was non existant last night we can compete.

Half our spine was two reserve grade players in King and Smith. They played great but if anyone thought mid year we would go down to Melbourne and push them with those 2 in our spine?

They had cronk,munster,slater,smith in comparrison.

Also remember they have the best prop in game along with the Aus centre in chambers. And it doesnt stop there with Tohu harris,Mclean also internationals.

dont forget their lethal wingers, super coach Bellamy and the refs...

We had to go to the toughest ground in the competition to play the best team in at least a decade.

A whole bunch of stuff went against us and, to be honest, we made some dumb calls ourselves.

Yet we lost by a penalty goal.

You know what? f**k the result. We're in this shit up to our eyeballs.

If the Sharks win today then next week will be the danger game for us. The Roosters have been crap for six weeks and got no better on Friday night.

So, let's cheer for the Cowboys today and, if that doesn't go our way, just f**king belt the Sharks next week anyway so we can face up against the Storm again on the Big Day and get the result we deserve.

Yeah Sharks game is the danger game. Players can either dwell on the Melbourne loss in a negative way and we come out flat against the sharks or we could use it as a massive positive and blitz the Sharks.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
For me, the worst call (aside from their first try), was a tackle on Semi in the second half; the Storm players literally stayed on top of Semi for 5 seconds, and no penalty was given.

Not to mention Smith whinging about everything all game. He's such a cumstain.

Yep!!

strider

Post Whore
Dont under estimate Terepo. He is in the same class as Matagi,Vave,Manah,Alvaro.And at worse adds some depth.

My favourite play of game was Alvaro elbow to head. That was nice to see he isnt a soft touch anymore. He has suprised me. Will come on next season even more.

Shame we lost Tepai. He was looking brutal in both attack and defense.

We also without Gutherson and Bevan. Auvau was immense and it showed that even without semi whon was non existant last night we can compete.

Half our spine was two reserve grade players in King and Smith. They played great but if anyone thought mid year we would go down to Melbourne and push them with those 2 in our spine?

They had cronk,munster,slater,smith in comparrison.

Also remember they have the best prop in game along with the Aus centre in chambers. And it doesnt stop there with Tohu harris,Mclean also internationals.
Just to keep the count rolling ... kenny bromwich is a NZ rep .. and glasby played origin ... and did funicane get picked in the aussie squad? ... and theres pretty much no doubt that big freak asofa-solomona will be a nz rep .... plus Vunivalu will probably be winger of the year, tho we did have #2 opposing him

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yeah Sharks game is the danger game. Players can either dwell on the Melbourne loss in a negative way and we come out flat against the sharks or we could use it as a massive positive and blitz the Sharks.

No doubt it's the sharks we will playing the only interesting part will be how wade Graham and Luke Lewis pull up, both are pretty much playing busted I hope the cowboys forwards give it to them

Gronk

Staff member
I actually don't think that refs played much of a part in our loss and TBH was very disappointed with our second half.
  • We gave the ball back through poor discipline all too often.
  • When we rucked the ball out from our end we were lucky to make 40m and our 5th tackle kick was often from our own half.
  • Did we have 1 repeat set ? Don't think so.
  • We made good yards going wide in the first half but when Storm started to slide to counter our gains, we kept going wide instead of turning it inside. I think our 6 & 7 were a bit lost in the second half and the 40 mins went like 10 mins for them.

I'll remember to remind them when they rule a penalty for it in the future against a team they don't give a f**k about.........

So you now agree that they made the correct decision? But somehow it is still wrong?

When were we, or anybody, last penalised for exactly the same thing? I can't recall it happening....I might be wrong.

strider

Post Whore
I actually don't think that refs played much of a part in our loss and TBH was very disappointed with our second half.
  • When we rucked the ball out from our end we were lucky to make 40m and our 5th tackle kick was often from our own half.
  • We made good yards going wide in the first half but when Storm started to slide to counter our gains, we kept going wide instead of turning it inside. I think our 6 & 7 were a bit lost in the second half and the 40 mins went like 10 mins for them.
We had no ball in the 2nd half ... a 6-1 penalty count will do that .... i think we did ok with the refs first half, but they gave us nothing and them plenty in that 2nd half ... agreed we did a couple of dumb things

strider

Post Whore
So you now agree that they made the correct decision? But somehow it is still wrong?

When were we, or anybody, last penalised for exactly the same thing? I can't recall it happening....I might be wrong.
So it was an absolute fraction of a second thing in the play where a try was scored and you dont find it odd the refs wouldnt take it to the bunker? ... infact it was the fastest awarded try of the entire game ... cummins didnt stop to even ask others, boom, try

Basically had cronk touched it first, by archers explanatio, it would be a penalty ... they really made that judgement at full speed in the heat of the action?

You've gotta admit it is odd they wouldnt go to the bunker for it

Eelementary

Post Whore

I don't want to blame the refs, but...

There is a photo going around on FB where it shows the clock with 4 minutes left or so; we are 10m out of Melbourne's line, on the last, about 6 or 7m from touch; the ball hasn't even been finished playing, King is still standing (the ball isn't even close to having cleared the ruck yet)....and 6 or 7 Storm defenders are already offside, sprinting to pressure our kickers.

Considering how many times we were pinged for offside...

The better team won, no doubt - but the game should have gone to Golden Point, if the refs had any backbone at all.

84 Baby

Referee
I half agree with you. The refs were shit as usual. A fair bit more in Scum favour but the game was still winnable. That said if the refs actually knew how to ref and called a full correct game it would have been no contest

Gronk

Staff member
So ?..

Manu on report for head high

Alvaro on report for elbow in head

Tepai concussion

King dodgy elbow

Kornstar

Coach

I'm happy with the clarification, where did i say i wasn't? I am just saying that one day, whether it be 5 or 10 years away they will make the call the other way and probably come up with a different reason why it was correct and off side. I will remember and i will remind them. Does it mean anything? f**k no. Will i feel better? No. But it will prove that they know f**king nothing about the game they adjudicate on.

I'm with BA and strider, it just should have gone upstairs and i would love to see what result the bunker came up with cause i guarantee you Archer was digging and a team of employees were digging to come up with something proved them right.

It rarely happens so of course we won't see it again soon but mark my words when it does they will rule something different........its what they do.

So it was an absolute fraction of a second thing in the play where a try was scored and you dont find it odd the refs wouldnt take it to the bunker? ... infact it was the fastest awarded try of the entire game ... cummins didnt stop to even ask others, boom, try

Basically had cronk touched it first, by archers explanatio, it would be a penalty ... they really made that judgement at full speed in the heat of the action?

You've gotta admit it is odd they wouldnt go to the bunker for it

Considering some of the tries they've gone to the bunker for this year that are clear a day, you would think with a play that long and that one particular incident that they would have went upstairs.

The onfield officials would have been petrified that it wasn't a try so just blew the whistle......

strider

Post Whore
I don't want to blame the refs, but...

There is a photo going around on FB where it shows the clock with 4 minutes left or so; we are 10m out of Melbourne's line, on the last, about 6 or 7m from touch; the ball hasn't even been finished playing, King is still standing (the ball isn't even close to having cleared the ruck yet)....and 6 or 7 Storm defenders are already offside, sprinting to pressure our kickers.

Considering how many times we were pinged for offside...

The better team won, no doubt - but the game should have gone to Golden Point, if the refs had any backbone at all.
Yeah but shit like that doesnt bother me (and i am a massive whinger about shit refereeing)

EVERY team is offside for much of the match ... you could take a freeze frame of us and i bet half our team would be offside too

Latest posts