What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 and beyond, our squad and recruitment.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now, there's been a lot of conjecture about our squad, who we have re-signed and signed and those who we have yet to sign/re-sign.
The salary cap is still not set and have we overspent on some players yet undervalued others? or, has the recruitment team got it right?
So, lets look at our position moving forward and below is the list of players currently signed for 2018 and beyond:

Forwards: 12 signed (5 off contract 2018)
LAM - Prop - (2018), JDB - Lock - (2020), Friz - 2R - (2020), Host - 2R/P - (2020), Kerr - 2R/P - (2018), Lawrie - P - (2019), Leilua - 2R - (2018), Sele - P - (2018), Sims - 2R/P - (2019), Thompson - 2R - (2018), Vaughan - P - (2021), Graham - P - (2019)

Backs: 10 signed (5 off contract 2018)
Aitken - C - (2020), Dufty - FB - (2018), Garrick - W - (2018), Herbert - C/W - (2018), Lafai - C - (2020), McDonald - W - (2019), Mann - U - (2019), Nightingale - W/FB - (2018), Periera - W - (2018), Sailor - (2019)

Halves: 4 signed (0 off contract 2018)
Field* (2019), Hunt (2021), Widdop (2021), Hutchinson (unconfirmed)
*Maybe a backs option as well

Hookers: 2 signed (1 off contract 2018)
McInnes (2018), Robson (2019)

This makes a total of 28 signed players so far (inc the new signing Periera).

There are several current U20's that have contract with STGI and with this competition being reduced to a state league next year, they should be included in at least the NSW Cup squad. IMO (and some may differ with this) based on potential:

Current U20's:
Matheson Johns (2018), Zac Lomax (2019), Steve Masters (2019), Jackson Willis (2018)
I think others have potential like Tristan Sailor (signed) who also could be added to the list but is his body capable of the next level?

Millward has stated he's in the market for a prop to replace Packer, so:

Adding our squad (as above) would get us to 30.

From our current squad, who are yet to re-sign, who would you re-sign? and I think you have to look at what positions we lack depth or even skill. For mine I would look at:
Dodd (C/W), Hutch (Halves), Mathews (2R), Isaac Thompson (W) and possibly Havili (U forward).

This is our position with many players off contract next year including some promising juniors.

Updated this.
With the pending signing of Graham (and Hutch given what was said on the last HP update) we have 2 spots left in our top 30.

Bench
I have read somewhere that a team needs to bring at least two players into first grade each year.
We should be looking if possible to have two wingers coming through. It will be Nighty's last year. So that leaves McDinald. He needs to improve his game by 100%
It would be great if would find a centre from within or test the market.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I have read somewhere that a team needs to bring at least two players into first grade each year.
We should be looking if possible to have two wingers coming through. It will be Nighty's last year. So that leaves McDinald. He needs to improve his game by 100%
It would be great if would find a centre from within or test the market.

Hopefully garrick he covers centre and wing.
Zak Lomax will need a year playing against the big boys and he will be ready hopefully towards the end of next year.

JDHD

Juniors
I don't know how many people on here watch the NFL but literally hundred of elite athletes in the prime of their lives get cut from squads in the off season for being a couple of hundredths of a second slower than another player over 40m. I honestly believe that there is a massive market we could tap into. Jason Taumololo is the ultimate forward in the NRL with his size, power and speed, yet he would he considered slow and on the small side for many NFL teams as a tight end or linebacker.

What I'm saying is no one is tapping into that market and why couldn't we be the first? There are literally hundreds of Taumololos and DeBelins and Vaughans over there just waiting to be found.

Old Timer

Coach
I don't know how many people on here watch the NFL but literally hundred of elite athletes in the prime of their lives get cut from squads in the off season for being a couple of hundredths of a second slower than another player over 40m. I honestly believe that there is a massive market we could tap into. Jason Taumololo is the ultimate forward in the NRL with his size, power and speed, yet he would he considered slow and on the small side for many NFL teams as a tight end or linebacker.

What I'm saying is no one is tapping into that market and why couldn't we be the first? There are literally hundreds of Taumololos and DeBelins and Vaughans over there just waiting to be found.
Paul Broughton tried in the mid 70's when he coached the Tigers
They brought several big strong fast guys back from the states to okayvdone trials
After a few training runs it was time to play a trial and ehenbghf got in got in the sheds they saw the players putting the foam pad in the side of their shirts and the flimsy shoulder pads on and they said "where's all the padding and protection gear" that's all there is was the reply
They couldn't beg back to the US quick enough

JDHD

Juniors
Paul Broughton tried in the mid 70's when he coached the Tigers
They brought several big strong fast guys back from the states to okayvdone trials
After a few training runs it was time to play a trial and ehenbghf got in got in the sheds they saw the players putting the foam pad in the side of their shirts and the flimsy shoulder pads on and they said "where's all the padding and protection gear" that's all there is was the reply
They couldn't beg back to the US quick enough

Hahaha god damn it

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Don't be surprised if Hutchison is done at the club.

Sailor may play in the halves in the NSW Cup next year.

I'm only presuming given what was said in the latest High Performance update and what Dragonssammy61 has said (he has a 1yr deal for 2018).

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Now, I'm not saying I am right and I maybe way off the mark here but with the current 28 signed (yeah including Graham and Hutch) this is what our "team" position looks like for next year (including NSW Cup) based on who we have signed.

Dragons 1st Grade............................................................NSW Cup

Dufty.........................................Fullback...........................Field
McDonald.................................WIng................................Garrick
Nightingale...............................Wing.................................Periera
Lafai.........................................Centre..............................Herbert
Aitken/Mann.............................Centre..............................?
Widdop.....................................5/8...................................Hutchinson
Hunt..........................................7.....................................Sailor
McInnes....................................Hooker............................Robson
Graham....................................Front Row.......................Lawrie
Vaughan...................................Front Row.......................Kerr
Frizell.......................................2nd Row..........................Host/Sele
Thompson................................2nd Row.........................Leilua
DeBelin....................................Lock.................................?

Ah Mau.....................................14....................................?
Sims..........................................15....................................?
Sele/Host..................................16.....................................?
Aitken/Mann..............................17.....................................?

So, we have 8 spots available, 2 for the top 30 and 6 development players. If, by the looks of it the 1st grade squad is complete, we are really only looking for reserve grade centre and lock as well as some reserves, most of which would be interchange forwards. Further, it's a very young and inexperienced NSW Cup team.

Hutchison looks like not being at the Dragons next year.

I think the ACL injury has really scared the club off the same as the injuries to Crook.

I won't be surprised if Payne or one of the club brothers gets a year deal.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Updated:
I agree with Coast that maybe the ACL has scare them off Hutch because his re-signing is taking too long.
I'd like to see Payne get a go, but I will leave blank for the time being

Dragons 1st Grade............................................................NSW Cup

Dufty.........................................Fullback...........................Lomax**
McDonald.................................WIng................................Garrick
Mann........................................Wing.................................Periera
Lafai.........................................Centre..............................Herbert
Aitken/Mann.............................Centre..............................Johns**
Widdop.....................................5/8...................................Field
Hunt..........................................7.....................................Sailor
McInnes....................................Hooker............................Robson
Graham....................................Front Row.......................Lawrie
Vaughan...................................Front Row.......................Kerr
Frizell.......................................2nd Row..........................Host/Sele
Thompson................................2nd Row.........................Leilua
DeBelin....................................Lock.................................Latimore

Ah Mau.....................................14....................................Uele**
Sims..........................................15....................................?
Sele/Host..................................16.....................................?
Nightingale................................17.....................................Masters**

**Maybe some U20's that may get a chance and this is just my opinion only.

That would leave 2 spots available for recruitment and 2 spots for development players.

Sam Clune can play 6,7 and 9.

Adam Clune can play 6 and 7

Payne can also play 6,7 and 9.

Uele and Mason should get a development contract along with Ford and Angel.

Have to say I think they should retain Hind imo he will be a better alround player then Kerr.

Based on Millward's latest interview, Hutch has not been signed and won't be because we are seeking a McCrone clone rather than an out and out back up half.

The winger/centre bargain basement player we are looking for is to replace Glymin, not Flo or Nene.