What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF Eligibility Laws

Pommy

Coach
based on this rule anyone that played in a qualifier would not be able to play in the wc for another team. the rules seem less clear when it comes to playing a non wc international. but the literal determination would appear to exclude any player who played any qualifier from changing for the wc.
rapana would be allowed play for nz in other games but not in the wc. going to be interesting to see how this plays out. does anyone have team lists for qualifiers for countries who did not auto-qual? shouldn't matter if they won or lost

It's not really hard, it's employed in football in Europe if you play in a cup competition for one team you can't play for another team even if you transfer.

Alan James

Juniors
imagine tonga may have an interest in seeing the rule enforced given they faced rapana against the cook islands to get to the wc. samoa and scotland would also have a direct interest

roughyedspud

Coach
If we give the islands more meaningful games I think we'd be surprised how many opt to stick with island nations..

Step one was removing Australian eligibility from origin,step two is giving them bigger games.. personally i reckon Australia & NZ should play a island team each post season,just like England tend to play Wales,France etc before a series or comp...also utilise the PM13 team more...and the NZ 'A' team for that matter..

People need to stop being so Mardy about the big 3s 2nd teams playing "2nd tier" nations.. thankfully the knights will be back next year...and it can't come soon enough,

roughyedspud

Coach
At the world cup? It won't happen after its started..

But I can see the Aussies pulling "the fafita" switcheroo again when all the squads and been picked but before the RLWC kicks off...because..you know...they just have to fxxk about like that...

adamkungl

Immortal

But I can see the Aussies pulling "the fafita" switcheroo again when all the squads and been picked but before the RLWC kicks off...because..you know...they just have to fxxk about like that...

The rules state that any tier-2 eligible players must be picked by a tier-1 3 weeks before an RLIF tournament and after that point they can not be picked by a tier-1.

deluded pom?

Coach

You know what I mean, awkward git. ;)

roughyedspud

Coach
The rules state that any tier-2 eligible players must be picked by a tier-1 3 weeks before an RLIF tournament and after that point they can not be picked by a tier-1.

Great stuff..is there a link to that though? So I can shove it in faces if it gets broken.

adamkungl

Immortal
Going on memory tbh but hopefully the official rules back me up...

http://www.rlif.com/ignite_docs/20160920 RLIF Eligibility Rules - Final.pdf

3.4.2 A Player who maintains eligibility for both a Tier One Nation and a Tier Two Nation/Tier Three Nation must nominate which Nation he/she elects to play for in an RLIF Global Event three calendar weeks prior to the Opening Match of the RLIF Global Event or the date required for final nominations in the Tournament Manual whichever is the earlier.

Tier One Nations are required to declare which dual qualified Players have been selected for their RLIF Global Event final squads a minimum of three calendar weeks prior to the Opening Match of the RLIF Global Event or the date specified in the Tournament Manual whichever is the earlier.

adamkungl

Immortal
What was frustrating in the Fifita incident is that this only applies to RLIF tournaments - allowing players to be snaked for one off games. A similar but shorter period should exist for standalone Test matches and regional tournaments.

Matua

Bench
Good to see solomone Kata turn down the kiwis Jersey to play for Tonga
Good. Although, I think the Kiwis would have turned down Kata for the Kiwis ... although it's Kidwell, so I'm pretty sure he just pulls names out of a hat.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive really come around on the rules...

With islander players being offered places in the Aussie/Kiwi side, then rejection it for their smaller nation, it shows a real love for these teams and it shows that these teams have Aussie quality players and should therefore be taken seriously.

I think these rules could be the best thing to happen to International RL in a long time...

adamkungl

Immortal

With islander players being offered places in the Aussie/Kiwi side, then rejection it for their smaller nation, it shows a real love for these teams and it shows that these teams have Aussie quality players and should therefore be taken seriously.

I think these rules could be the best thing to happen to International RL in a long time...

Same here. Was originally skeptical.

But when it comes down to it, the only reason to enforce 1-nation eligibility is because some other sports do. This isn't a reason. One little known example of a world sporting competition that doesn't follow the one-nation eligibility rule is (you guys may not have heard of this so bear with me) the "Olympic games".

The execution of the new rules might not be perfect at times and will likely need future tweaking but dual-eligibility is a better reflection of the cultural make up of modern society, especially in Rugby League, than one-for-life.

Pommy

Coach

The rules are ok as long as the tier one nations are sensible. No more Semi’s, yes to islanders that move as children, no to people who move as adult professional athletes.

adamkungl

Immortal
The rules are ok as long as the tier one nations are sensible. No more Semi’s, yes to islanders that move as children, no to people who move as adult professional athletes.

Yeah wouldn't say no to a handshake agreement of sorts between the big 3 to honour certain protocols.
Or hell, since we've enshrined 'tiers' in the rules, go a step further and make tighter rules for tier 1s.. 10 year residency and parent instead of grandparent

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The execution of the new rules might not be perfect at times and will likely need future tweaking but dual-eligibility is a better reflection of the cultural make up of modern society, especially in Rugby League, than one-for-life.

Good reflection of multi-cultural RL (as opposed to "VFL, the white mans game" apparently)...

I think it will also help the prestige and profile of these Pacific teams to have Origin players turning up for them. If they can be selected for Origin, the Pacific team isnt just a shitty fall back option; its genuinely the team they want to represent..

Latest posts