What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of new State - based U/20's on 2018 Intrust Super Cup

The Partisan

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts views as to whether keeping a portion of local talent or having some new talent introduced to your club will have a bearing on the fortunes of various clubs.

Will the SEQ based clubs benefit more ? Will PNG Hunters be disadvantaged ? Will the talent be spread to thinly ???

Something to ponder for the off season !

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Relatively few Under 20 players can walk straight into Queensland Cup sides anyway.

I have seen plenty of supposedly good signings of ex-Broncos Under 20s by Wynnum over time. Most have proven to need a few years before becoming a reasonable Q Cup player.

There are going to be a handful each year who stand out and will make NRL players in the future.

siv

First Grade
It will make Qld U20s teams weaker as players are now spread across 14-16 clubs rather than 3

Qld Cup may see a short term benefit

It will be interesting to see if regional Qld Cup team choose to field u20s teams or for how long - as I doubt they have the funding capabilities

As only BRL clubs field u20 teams

Diehards

Juniors
All regional teams will field a u/20 team as that will be funded by the NRL instead of the NYC

ALX25

Juniors
Hardly any details, but let's hope we don't see 2-3 teams stacked with talent and the rest just making up the numbers...

siv

First Grade
All regional teams will field a u/20 team as that will be funded by the NRL instead of the NYC

NRL wont directly fund them

Money will be given to the QRL who will decide how much to pass onto Qld Cup clubs

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Didn't the QRL already start the concept off with the FOGS U20s Cup earlier this season?

johnny plath

Juniors
Didn't the QRL already start the concept off with the FOGS U20s Cup earlier this season?
The qrl ran a full state wide pilot comp at beginning of season in conjunction with u18s mal meninga cup..about 10 rounfs. After that it just reverted to fogs u20s for rest of year...this is an ongoing seq comp which has been run quite a while. Next year is a full season of statewide u20s running parallel with intrust cup

johnny plath

Juniors
What happens to the Colts?
Not sure I understand your question.. Colts are the u20s.. is that what you mean. Each Intrust Cup club (except PNG hunters) will have a colts/u20s team which plays a full home and away season in a Statewide Comp. I think the NRL clubs with affiliates ie Broncos, Titans, Cows, Storm will send their U20 eligible players back to Qcup and if needed the State Colts comp. I don't think those NRL clubs will carry as many u20 players now with no Holden Cup requirement. Different story in NSW where the NRL clubs will just continue with their u20s but in their new statewide comp... I guess that one is effectively a Holden Cup rebadge minus non NSW NRL clubs.

Timmah

Staff member
OK - in 2017 there was the pilot comp, known as FOGS U20s Cup that ran the first half the season, then the FOGS Colts Challenge which ran from May - September.

Are they being consolidated into the one competition next season to run underneath ISC?

As for the NSW side of things, are you sure that's how it will operate? My gut feel is that clubs will align their U20s to their respective ISP feeders - yes, some are direct with NRL clubs e.g. Dogs, Panthers, Warriors but not all?

johnny plath

Juniors
OK - in 2017 there was the pilot comp, known as FOGS U20s Cup that ran the first half the season, then the FOGS Colts Challenge which ran from May - September.

Are they being consolidated into the one competition next season to run underneath ISC?

As for the NSW side of things, are you sure that's how it will operate? My gut feel is that clubs will align their U20s to their respective ISP feeders - yes, some are direct with NRL clubs e.g. Dogs, Panthers, Warriors but not all?
Yes next season consolidated to one comp running same time line's as intrust cup. This season the qrl scrapped its u16 cyrill connell cup and ran it as an u20s comp. Next year just one u20s comp. On nsw cup you might be right i was just speculating that the existing nsw based holden cup teams would just rebadge into nswrl 20s comp. Would be nice to see some official info from the state bodies.

Timmah

Staff member
We're barely over a week from the end of last season so I'm not worried unless we get into November without both bodies making some sort of official announcement.

Based on the Rabbitohs/Bears announcement this morning, it looks like the NSW U20s structure will be directly linked to the ISP teams going forward, which yes, will include a mix of NRL clubs as well. Massey and Shield comps remain.

So ultimately it looks like NSWRL will have six comps to QLD's four?

insert.pause

First Grade
The state wide U20s comp will be called the "Hastings Deering Colts" and will include all 13 Qld cup clubs as well as Western Mustangs, based in Toowoomba.

PNG are aiming for a 20s team in 2019.

Marlins

Juniors
Melbourne Thunder Bolts to join the under 20’s & 18’s. Both will play Home games in Melbourne.

Latest posts