What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC17 squads

adamkungl

Immortal
It's another nail in NZ's coffin. And quite possibly the tournament and IRL in general. I'm sure some people will love players from the big three choosing second tier nations but it's only NZ that is suffering and we need them to provide Australia with competition otherwise it will be even more of a one horse race.

lol.

It'll make other nations stronger.

Whats JT's reason for opting to play for Tonga?

It's been reported that he's mad at Kidwell for dropping Bromwich & Proctor.

TBH, I've been saying Kidwell's gotta go before he even began the first training hit out last year, but this isn't the way to go about it. It seems Taumalolo's pulled a bit of a Roy Asotasi circa 07.

morningstar

Juniors
JT pulling out is gut-wrenching, but if reports are true and it's because he doesn't get on with Kidwell then f*ck him.

I don't like Kidwell either, but if he has problems with the coach he should have done an Asotasi after the Anzac test not a day before the squad is named.

Should be blacklisted from the Kiwis from now on.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Israel Eliab got injured in the Hunters last normal season game. He missed the whole finals series including the Grand Final and last weeks State Cup.

Menzie Yere is past his best. Justin Olam, Kato Ottio and Nene MacDonald have him covered.

Ray Thompson has been injured. hardly played all year and has retired.

Dion Aiye could probably have been picked as a lock forward but as a five-eight that position now belongs to Ase Boas.

Am not sure about mark Mexico. Maybe the fact he is playing in tier 2 went against him.

Jesse joe parker?

PNG has said it will only pick players in SL, NRL, NSW/Qld Cups and if Lo has signed with Cas and will therefore be a SL player it would seem the squad complies with the policy. Whether the policy is right or not is a different matter.

Clarkent

Juniors
It's another nail in NZ's coffin. And quite possibly the tournament and IRL in general. I'm sure some people will love players from the big three choosing second tier nations but it's only NZ that is suffering and we need them to provide Australia with competition otherwise it will be even more of a one horse race.
I guess now the kiwis know what's it's like when there best players don't pick them as there first option..

Shorty

Staff member
How is it a nail in IRL's coffin? He's defecting to a weaker team from a stronger one? I'd have thought the opposite.
Obviously nobody replaces Lolo but it's not like the Kiwis suck in the forwards/second rowers department.

adamkungl

Immortal
If true, it is huge news for Tonga and great for the overall competitiveness of the Cup.
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the NZRL and Kidwell's ineptitude has thrown Pool B wide open.
This Cup could be the event that skyrockets the game's popularity in Samoa and Tonga if they nail a big scalp.

As for the Kiwis, they have far far bigger issues. Players defecting is a symptom of wider issues, this World Cup is almost a write off. Luckily they have the profile and players to turn it around in a very short time if their management is sorted out.

jim_57

Staff member
No doubt Kiwis will bounce back, just a shame they are unravelling when they are co-hosts. Going to be a hard sell to get crowds in the way they're going.

Clarkent

Juniors
How is it a nail in IRL's coffin? He's defecting to a weaker team from a stronger one? I'd have thought the opposite.
Obviously nobody replaces Lolo but it's not like the Kiwis suck in the forwards/second rowers department.
Well they've lost there best prop in Bromwich and one of there best forwards Kevin Procter and Tohu Harris... So yeah they're pretty much screwed lol

They do now. One of only two teams who could break the mantra that Australia will walk this tournament and they're no chance. It actually reduces the competitiveness of the World Cup. If winning the trophy is the "competition", and ultimately it is, this reduces the chances of more teams being able to compete for it, because instead of three reasonable hopes it pretty much limits it to two.

adamkungl

Immortal
They do now. One of only two teams who could break the mantra that Australia will walk this tournament and they're no chance. It actually reduces the competitiveness of the World Cup. If winning the trophy is the "competition", and ultimately it is, this reduces the chances of more teams being able to compete for it, because instead of three reasonable hopes it pretty much limits it to two.

A team from outside the big 3 winning a game against the big 3 is a far bigger story than NZ beating Australia (again)

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Massive negativity going on in NZ about how much a joke the World Cup is and how players can chop and change nations in the same year.

NZ had a very slim chance now with the latest withdrawals they are no chance.

Hopefully the end of kidwell....

A team from outside the big 3 winning a game against the big 3 is a far bigger story than NZ beating Australia (again)
For a day or two. Someone other than Australia winning the tournament is far bigger and the chances of that happening are now pretty slim. What was a bigger story, Scotland drawing with NZ or NZ winning the WC? Which did more for the sport?