What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

LINESPEED

Juniors
Our moronic board are happy enough with just missing the semis.

They don't see a problem.

They just want a coach who they can control .....and does not want too much power.

Bennett scared them.

They told Cleary he could not have total control of the team, he quickly walked away from our offer.

How are we ever going to attract a good coach with a board like this?

It's the board who are doing this to us.
They got to go!

Here's to some own goals in the off season - c'mon girls, let's party & we'll all drink to that!!
Hey, anyone for a Harvey Wallbanger??
Hang in there Dessie

Last edited:

ouryear

Juniors
The thing I dislike most about Mary is that he insists Widdop is the man to captain. That and he doesn't take risks. EVER.
I think he chooses Widdop because to me Widdops personality is non confronting, won't challenge the status quo and he will do what he is told by Mary the nugget.

Even on the field he is not confronting or in anyone's faces.

I hardly ever see Widdop putting any pressure on the refs like Cam Smith, JT, Sam Burgess or James Graham do...week on week.

He doesn't challenge our players to work hard on the field, doesn't rally the troops.... or demand hard ass performance.

He seems like a nice guy, a gentleman, someone who does not like to ruffle anyone's feathers, but that's not what we need in our captain.

He is not the right choice as captain, but Mary has done it to suit himself.

Last edited:

epDragon62

First Grade
I think he chooses Widdop because to me Widdops personality is non confronting, won't challenge the status quo and will do what he is told by nugget McMary.

On the field I hardly ever see Widdop putting any pressure on the refs like Cam Smith, JT, Sam Burgess or James Graham do... week on week.

He doesn't challenge our players to work hard on the field much either, doesn't rally the troops.... or demand hard ass performance.

Yep, he is a poor choice as captain, but Mary has done it to suit himself.
I’ve been nodding at Dennis’ posts thinking I would agree. Then I read this one and the nod became a drop as I realise you are right OY, and your point punctuates the reason why Mary will continue to flounder in the role. Agreeing with DP now feels like a futile effort.

Time to do something else and cheer myself up again.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I’ve been nodding at Dennis’ posts thinking I would agree. Then I read this one and the nod became a drop as I realise you are right OY, and your point punctuates the reason why Mary will continue to flounder in the role. Agreeing with DP now feels like a futile effort.

Time to do something else and cheer myself up again.

Cheer up - idiots self-destruct

It's just that the fans, players & Club suffer the collateral damage in the meantime

Last edited:

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
The good news is James Graham won't be able to understand Mary, so he has a good reason for doing his own thing on the field. Actually, Grahams behaviour on the field in the early games will tell us if he is here to play and lead. I suggest co- captain with Widdop so he can challenge the refs.

ouryear

Juniors
Has there EVER been a more unpopular coach for the Dragons than Mary?

Craig Young coached for 2 years, won 18 games from 44, winning just 41% before he was sacked, with Brian Smith taking over in 1991.

Looking at the story, I can't believe Young was playing in 1988 and appointed coach in 1989.

Our board made dumb decisions back then as well, appointing a player as head coach the very next year after retiring. (A St George board, can't blame Illawarra!!)

Young would have been on a hiding
to nothing.

I know we have even had very successful player / coaches....amazing really, that a player still playing could have also been the coach and led the team to glory!

I guess that was with our golden teams from 1956 -1966. Still.....remarkable.

Anyway, have we ever had a coach who the fans wanted gone more than Mary?

Steve Price?

Last edited:

Craig Young coached for 2 years, won 18 games from 44, winning just 41% before he was sacked, with Brian Smith taking over in 1991.

Looking at the story, I can't believe Young was playing in 1988 and appointed coach in 1989.

Our board made dumb decisions back then as well, appointing a player as head coach the very next year after retiring. (A St George board, can't blame Illawarra!!)

to nothing.

I know we have even had very successful player / coaches....amazing really, that a player still playing could have also been the coach and led the team to glory!

At least with Young they dumped him relatively quickly.
With McGregor, we are enduring "death by a thousand cuts"
Nearly up to 4 years and contracted for even more.
To answer your question - McGregor must be the most unpopular.

Crush

Coach

to nothing.

Steve Price?
Yeah Steve Price was rubbish. He was one of those guys who was in over his head. Out of his depth. Had bitten off more than he could chew.

I have to say, Mary has only survived because of fantastic recruitment from Millward. Signing Vaughan, Sims, McInnes this year made the difference (in getting his extension) and with Hunt and now Graham coming Mary will have a pretty decent team to work with.
He's actually got the perfect team for his power game plan. Strong halves and great pack. The outside backs will never get the ball! Accept for when the forwards get tired and the backs have to hit it up out of dummy half.....

TonyT6

Bench

to nothing.

Steve Price?
No

denis preston

First Grade
Love to know the inside story with Norm Tipping. Good percentage , won a premiership and then dumped !! Must have been a real arsehole or not a member of the St George mafia ? Either way shows the brilliance of Frank Facer to know what to do to create a dynasty.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Wonder how long he will last in the super league

I would think not long.

They don’t drink much water over there, not to mention they replaced the need for sand with plastic tees.

He might be heading to the new frontier in Canada sooner rather than later.

Latest posts