What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

• Todd Greenberg

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Shane Richardson

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Phil Gould

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • John Grant

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Andrew Demetriou

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • John Quayle

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Somebody Else.....Post Who

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ftr, if we were to reduce the competiton to 24 rounds - even with 16 teams - we wouldn't see a reduction in games. It'd merely see the end of the staggered bye system around Origin, which is awful.

And it would be replaced with 3 stand alone Sunday night Origin games.

So we'd have the same amount of games, less player burn out, and that middle third of the competiton which is COMPLETELY RUINED by Origin simply would not be any more.

There'd be no dull matches featuring grossly understrength teams.

It's win win win all around. But we can't have that!

some11

Referee
Yeah it's a bit of a shame that any kind of shake-up isn't even considered, it's not like we're changing the laws of the game ffs.

Probably too many agendas to navigate, I'd still like to know the grubby little secret behind Smith's exit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah it's a bit of a shame that any kind of shake-up isn't even considered, it's not like we're changing the laws of the game ffs.

Probably too many agendas to navigate, I'd still like to know the grubby little secret behind Smith's exit.

Don't think its a secret, Murdoch flapped, Grant cowered, Smith was shown the door. Murdoch was happy, Grant could announce a new record TV deal, RL remains in its little TV managed box.

Incorrect

Coach
Ftr, if we were to reduce the competiton to 24 rounds - even with 16 teams - we wouldn't see a reduction in games. It'd merely see the end of the staggered bye system around Origin, which is awful.

And it would be replaced with 3 stand alone Sunday night Origin games.

So we'd have the same amount of games, less player burn out, and that middle third of the competiton which is COMPLETELY RUINED by Origin simply would not be any more.

There'd be no dull matches featuring grossly understrength teams.

It's win win win all around. But we can't have that!

I'm getting further off topic but with regard to Origin ruining the season I couldn't agree more...

FFS - it was only the completion of Round 4 last weekend and channel 9 news already had a "Countdown to Origin" story in their news bulletin this week... channel 9 are addicted to Origin like some hopeless alcoholic ripping open a goon bag and repeatedly licking the interior of the silver bladder, determined to get every conceivable drop out of it no matter how ridiculous they look....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well they did the official launch last week so not surprising the media is all over it, lets be honest the NSW v Qland thing is one of the best strengths but also one of the most glaringly obvious weaknesses of our sport in Australia. No wonder half the country think RL is a small sport played in a couple of states.

Even Greenburg when asked about the womens league said something like " we haven't decided if it will be an NRL club or NSW and Qlnad league" lol

forward pass

Coach
Just heard a snippet of Greenberg on League Live.

And credit to Jess Yates. Normally I just block out her noise and stare at her magnificent melons but she retorted "shouldn't you already know all that?"

Actually - credit to all the ladies on that panel - particularly Lara Pitt. She asked him questions no-one has ever asked before and didn't seem to accept what he was saying and shot back. Very impressive.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes it was a breath of fresh air to hear intelligent people asking intelligent questions in a respectful way! Aside from Sterlo I am struggling to think of anyone else on Fox that would fit that criteria!

I hope Greenburg is a regular on it to answer the questions we are all asking. I don't know if he will though given he didn't get a easy ride.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
We had a so so crowd for the Eels v Sharks at ANZ with Bernie Gurr at the helm.People don't give a rats about who is in charge when attending ,they want Comfort,Cover,Congenial scheduling and Convenient transport.The 4 C formula.

I thought you were in favour of shitty suburban grounds.....

taipan

Referee
I thought you were in favour of shitty suburban grounds.....

I am ,provided they eventually get upgraded.Nothing's changed.
I'll be going to one of those shitty sub grounds today,and it will get a damn side more than ANZ even on a fine day.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/8680af68e64fda90a652604e9c7f3533

Supercars bombshell as chief executive James Warburton quits

James Phelps Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
42 minutes ago

JAMES Warburton has quit as Supercars chief executive after rejecting a new deal to continue in the role beyond this year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Warburton told the Supercars board last week he would quit at the end of the year in a move that has made him Australia’s most wanted sporting boss.

In a V8 bombshell, Warburton is already believed to have signed on for a new role, which will be announced on Tuesday.

Warburton confirmed his departure in a statement released this morning.

“With a heavy heart, I advise the 2017 season (and year) will be my last as CEO of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship,” Warburton said.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to work with such inspiring people within the Supercars family and to lead a sport of which I have been a fan since the age of five.

“I am truly in awe of the passion and commitment across the entire industry and the dedication to entertain our fans and am blessed to have made a host of lifelong friends from the experience.

It’s understood Warburton, who brought Supercars back from the brink and turned it into a sporting force, was wined and dined by Phil Gould and Nick Politis earlier this year as the rugby league power brokers tried to entice him to push for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg’s job.

Greenberg’s tenure as NRL chief is up early next year and Warburton has heavily been linked to the role. Although sources close to Warburton are adamant he will not be working for the NRL in his new job.

Warburton claimed he was leaving Supercars in good shape.

“It is fair to say the sport is in great health, we have achieved so much with unity and, more importantly, the path is set to raise the sport to even greater heights,” Warburton said.

“Every single metric from EBIT, team distributions, crowd attendance to media numbers are well up and the fans continue to vote with their feet.

“Supercars is by no means a one man show and the sport remains in the very best of hands. There are far too many highlights to mention and people to thank to list them individually.

“In 2018, your number 1 fan will be sitting opposite pit lane, finally in shorts and a t-shirt with his family, cold beer in the hand cheering you all.”

He will reamin in charge until the season- ending race in November at Newcastle.

applesauce

Bench
JW turned V8 supercars into V6 and changed it from FORD V HOLDEN to include Merc, Nissan et al.

Seems to have vision and not afraid to break the mould.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I'm getting further off topic but with regard to Origin ruining the season I couldn't agree more...

FFS - it was only the completion of Round 4 last weekend and channel 9 news already had a "Countdown to Origin" story in their news bulletin this week... channel 9 are addicted to Origin like some hopeless alcoholic ripping open a goon bag and repeatedly licking the interior of the silver bladder, determined to get every conceivable drop out of it no matter how ridiculous they look....

You mean Rothfield?

siv

First Grade
JW turned V8 supercars into V6 and changed it from FORD V HOLDEN to include Merc, Nissan et al.

Seems to have vision and not afraid to break the mould.

Its not maker v maker anymore

V8 are just chassy with a badge v same chassy with a different badge