What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

southsport

First Grade
I don't understand why that's such a big deal though. It would be the same thing if you were employed to a company and for weeks on end there were people whispering behind your back about you getting the sack. Then bam you get the sack in the meeting. If that was me I would of gone off at all of them.

Madge WAS quiet about what went on. He hasn't gone and complained to the media like some of our former players have and he hasn't tried to steal any of our players either. Madge is a good guy and deserved much better than what he supposedly received.

Yes, you make some valid points, but there was the time in 2015 when the cameras in the sheds were covered up at halftime and it was reported that he had "lost the dressing room" afterwards, is he just an angry man who had a controlled face for the media?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Yes, you make some valid points, but there was the time in 2015 when the cameras in the sheds were covered up at halftime and it was reported that he had "lost the dressing room" afterwards, is he just an angry man who had a controlled face for the media?

That doesn't surprise me. Spraying your players can go either way. They can either hate you for it or be inspired by it.

doyen

Bench
I don't understand why that's such a big deal though. It would be the same thing if you were employed to a company and for weeks on end there were people whispering behind your back about you getting the sack. Then bam you get the sack in the meeting. If that was me I would of gone off at all of them.

Madge WAS quiet about what went on. He hasn't gone and complained to the media like some of our former players have and he hasn't tried to steal any of our players either. Madge is a good guy and deserved much better than what he supposedly received.

I'm sure Madge is an OK person,as well as an angry kinda one!

I would never question him as a "bloke" but,as a coach,he had plenty to answer.

Madge had been part of of Sths RL community for quite a time before he received his marching orders---& deservedly so,if results were the consideration!

In 2014 we won a p/ship where Madge was about 1/20th of a team of players & coaching staff[say about 5% per member's worth]that got Sths a p/ship. Madge was our coach & he deserved some good credit but he also has to wear the deserved criticism for our demise since that glorious result!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'm sure Madge is an OK person,as well as an angry kinda one!

I would never question him as a "bloke" but,as a coach,he had plenty to answer.

Madge had been part of of Sths RL community for quite a time before he received his marching orders---& deservedly so,if results were the consideration!

In 2014 we won a p/ship where Madge was about 1/20th of a team of players & coaching staff[say about 5% per member's worth]that got Sths a p/ship. Madge was our coach & he deserved some good credit but he also has to wear the deserved criticism for our demise since that glorious result!

Whoever was responsible for those ridiculous deals deserves the majority of the criticism. Whether or not that was Madge nobody knows.

doyen

Bench
Whoever was responsible for those ridiculous deals deserves the majority of the criticism. Whether or not that was Madge nobody knows.

I think Sths had a good enough list for us to expect better---a lot better!

Sths continued to play with complete lack of imagination for the best part of 2 seasons. I think Madge was just turning up week after week with the same old plan & putting out his hand to collect the $$$$$$!! The board,like me,& plenty of others, I would say;just got sick of his lack of foresight.
I just think Madge was present there & not truly coaching the team--driving them,maybe--but not coaching!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Sths continued to play with complete lack of imagination for the best part of 2 seasons. I think Madge was just turning up week after week with the same old plan & putting out his hand to collect the $$$$$$!! The board,like me,& plenty of others, I would say;just got sick of his lack of foresight.
I just think Madge was present there & not truly coaching the team--driving them,maybe--but not coaching!!

I think you'll find that even though madge's strategy was boring and plain the blame has to be put on the players as well. They gave up on the season well before Madge did.

doyen

Bench
I think you'll find that even though madge's strategy was boring and plain the blame has to be put on the players as well. They gave up on the season well before Madge did.

If I was a player having to roll out that crap week after week I would be utterly demoralised too. Madge had become toxic with his inability to evolve. We had good enough players----it's hard though for players to display their true talents whilst dragging a ball & chain around the park!!
Madge had given up before the players by not showing any initiative or evolution in his coaching style!

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If I was a player having to roll out that crap week after week I would be utterly demoralised too. Madge had become toxic with his inability to evolve. We had good enough players----it's hard though for players to display their true talents whilst dragging a ball & chain around the park!!

I would love to play for a coach like Madge. All my best coaches were hard ass militant style coaches. I hate coaches that are too soft and let the players do what they want.

However, I think madge's problem came about when he started to sacrifice the relationships he had with the players for hard work. You have to keep an equal balance. You need to push the players but you need to show them that you care for them as a coach. That's where Madge failed and Bellamy, Bennett excels. I think it's the main reason why we've seen some of our older players go so far backwards. I don't think they had a good relationship with Madge at the end of the day. It really is sad though.

callmack1

Staff member

Great post. Not to mention him turning out the same comments in the media every week.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Brilliant post......

Travitoh

First Grade

Would you not go to the higher ups to seek an answer on whether it's true or not? I would. If i wasn't getting results in two years, I'd expect the sack too.

Letting the board have it after getting sacked shows a lack of leadership and maturity to me. Did he really believe his job was safe? Did he want to deflect as much blame away as he could from himself? We all saw it coming, why didn't he?

Pommy

Coach
Not sure why anyone thinks Madge was badly done by.
It’s a results driven buisness he was given an opportunity to try and explain how he expected things to improve the board didn’t share his vision.
That’s just the nature of buisness at that level. If he did have a tantrum during the meeting he probably just proved to the board that they had made the correct decision.

Last edited:

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Would you not go to the higher ups to seek an answer on whether it's true or not? I would. If i wasn't getting results in two years, I'd expect the sack too.

Letting the board have it after getting sacked shows a lack of leadership and maturity to me. Did he really believe his job was safe? Did he want to deflect as much blame away as he could from himself? We all saw it coming, why didn't he?

Not sure why anyone thinks Madge was badly done by.
It’s a results driven buisness he was given an opportunity to try and explain how he expected things to improve the board didn’t share his vision.
That’s just the nature of buisness at that level. If he did have a tantrum during the meeting he probably just proved to the board that they had made the correct decision.
Top posts!

People scream for results, then in the winds of change to achieve the results they go foetal.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
I wonder if Madge was invited or is attending the Red and Green Ball tonight- it would be a nice way for him to say goodbye to the players if reports are true that he didn't get a chance when he left.

That’s it get behind the coach. FMD.

I'll get behind him once the season starts as I have nothing against Seibold himself.

My problem is with the mugs that are running our team.

Richo and the gang made an error in giving Madge a 3 year deal and then sacking him a year later. Now we're stuck with a stopgap option because we've paid out Madge for two years and couldn't go to the well again to pay someone decent.

Essentially we, as fans have been f**ked over for two years because the people running our team haven't got a clue. The only positive is that if we drop further down the table in the meantime, hopefully our owners will recognise the real problem at our club and send Richo and his mates packing.

Latest posts