What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

BradMackay

Juniors
Parents bought me sharks and tigers gear but never liked wearing it. Red was my favourite colour. Early 80’s everyone was going for the Eels including my dad. When I could choose a jersey and my team I went with the Big Red V. 1985 grand final loss was a tough day especially the Monday at school. How sweet 2010 was

denis preston

First Grade
I started when my neighbour played half Denny o,brien I was in awe, early sixties, used to watch all 3 games , with a few mates my dad and brother, was a friend of Bruce Starkey, and max Cole and Russell Cox, Brian woods , don't go much now as living on the central coast love kogarah, my daughter and I were part of the crowd on the ground when we moved to get rid of the traitar Geoffrey Carr , born and bred in carlton
Jesus, Maxie Cole good footballer , ended up at the Berries. Dinny O'brien , a very nippy halfback who played very well for norths. The bloody Cox brothers small but tough around the 19 early 70's. Featured in the semi playoffs in 70 ?

blacksafake

First Grade
Laughed my head off when I read your post. Classic line sorry Mr whoever you are I'm a bit short this week.
Our entire section of the street could go silent for the very same reason.
Can you remember when people had pianos on time payment and when TV came out and was available on the the tick the poor old pianos which hadn't even been paid for were thrown out on the footpaths?
Encyclopaedia Britannica almost cocked it up for us as they were very active in promoting education as opposed to TV.
Thank god dad had common sense and went for the cheap American Encyclopaedia Compton's and got a TV as well. It provided a great education Tom & Jerry, Bonanza, The Honeymooner's, Hancock's Half Hour all classics
They talk about eBay and all that shit today, well almost anything was available back then and a real person actually called to your house to sell it and credit was readily available.
Waltons, Buckingham's, Beberfald's, Retra Vision all darlings of the housing commission estates.
The Honeymooners & Hancock’s half hour now you’re talking OT.

Old Timer

Coach
OKB is he related to Bruce Pollard ? Bruce was only 21 when he played in the 66 Grand Final but never kicked on.Rumors were he just got fat ?
Pollard was a bit of enigma.
Won 2 premierships in fact
1963 as an 18 year old
1966 as a 21 year old
Both times called into the side to replace Clay in 63 and Gasnier in 66.
He did carry a bit of a girth on him but was a great player with just a bit too much class around him to compete against to hold down a 1st grade spot.
Russell Cox was a good hooker and Barry played centre , we had lots of local juniors like Steve edge, max Cole and ross strudwick, both went to the dogs,my younger brother played third grade until an injury in 81.i was at the 62 grand final,the glory days
If not mistaken Strudwick went to Qld and played for the Reds prior to SOO and ended up playing in the Green & Gold for 1 match.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Grew up in The Shire....Lilli Pilli, Caringbah then Cronulla....played for Cronulla RSL Cronulla Caringbah obviously there was no Cronulla Sutherland team then it was all the St George District.....my wife is from Gymea and I served my apprenticeship at Rockdale....so I was deeply entrenched in The Dragons....and besides why would I look anywhere else....we won and won and won and won and won and won etc......put it this way would you get off Black Caviar or Winx to ride a shetland pony

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I played in the '77 grand final so decided to support them
And mate you would have played in a lot more....it wasnt your lack of ability it was because you had one W. SMITH in front of you....you may have been known as a diminutive half but you had a BIG heart.....even when you broke your leg in 1973 you still came back and gave it your all...imo a great former Dragon.

Born in Kogarah

Lived as a child on top of a shop in Regent Street for many years

Was indoctrinated by my baby sitter Mrs Smith whose family were good friends with Poppa Clay

Mrs S and her hubby would often take me to the big games at SCG on a saturday arvo

Was given a footy signed by the 63 side as a birthday present

Being a genius at an early age I spent plenty of time kicking that ball.

Remember vividly the Rosettes in every shop window and the main street decorated every year around semi time

Jubilee & SCG were our "home grounds"

The club is a passion I have shared with many supporters for more than 55 years through some major highs and some sad lows

2018 just around he corner guys

Looking forward to better times ahead

TruSaint

Referee
Grew up in The Shire....Lilli Pilli, Caringbah then Cronulla....played for Cronulla RSL Cronulla Caringbah obviously there was no Cronulla Sutherland team then it was all the St George District.....my wife is from Gymea and I served my apprenticeship at Rockdale....so I was deeply entrenched in The Dragons....and besides why would I look anywhere else....we won and won and won and won and won and won etc......put it this way would you get off Black Caviar or Winx to ride a shetland pony

Onya BSE...
Love the analogy

jak

Bench
I did my apprenticeship at Rockdale in the sixties.

Last edited:

Latest posts