What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally OFF the NRL

Stallion

First Grade
Im in primary schools in GWS land.

18 schools and the Giants and AFL viewed with mirth by the multi ethnic kids and parents.

NRL is king of the kids.

The few kids who "play" AFL tend to be the kids on the bottom of the barrel when it came to sport...the weak, the feeble, the chronic asthmatics.

No 20 year plan or million dollar investment will save them.

I'm relieved at your post and rugby league should be and deserves to be number 1 by a country mile! Its a great code/sport but has neglected its public especially junior development. That's what Im seeing with thankfully some proactiveness as of this year.

POPEYE

Coach
Good point.
Since they have changed rules to take most of the brutality out of the game they should at least bring in rules to bring some more skill into it. An arm wrestle is boring unless someones arm might snap.

40/30.
A better point is the game has changed either through necessity or design, neither automatically designates improvement. You're problem is if you got your 40/30 this week you'd want 40/40 next week

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Anyone who denies AFL is eyeing off Newcastle is crazy. If they aren't it would lay a long way outside their usual MO. RL & the Knights are clear number 1 here but as with everywhere else RL is doing the bare minimum.
AFL will help Newcastle try to get the Commonwealth games in 2030 or whatever and the government will build a stadium just perfect for Cricket & AFL team.
An AFL team in Newy???

You know it makes sense, hop to it ASAP Gil we need another Fumbleball money pit to laugh at.

Stallion

First Grade
An AFL team in Newy???

You know it makes sense, hop too it ASAP Gil we need another Fumbleball money pit to laugh at.

Just for the record noone has suggested that an AFL team is happening in Newcastle? But what is reality is that not only in Newcastle but elsewhere in NSW has witnessed significant AFL marketing and development activity. Just making sure the awareness is there! So if the game of RL is arse f**ked that noone can state that they are surprised/shocked or didn't know it was happening. Just for the record for any hand sitters with blinkers on. This is not to say rugby league is not making progress in Victoria! It is thanks to the Melbourne Storm. For the record their are 10 Afl clubs in Melbourne with a million less people to draw from. No fan of the game but this is fact.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just for the noone has suggested that an AFL team is happening in Newcastle. But what is reality that not only in Newcastle but elsewhere in NSW has witnessed significant AFL marketing and development activity. Just making sure the awareness is there! So if the game of RL is arse f**ked that noone can state that they are surprised/shocked or didn't know it was happening. Just for the record for any hand sitters with blinkers on.
Yep RL is f**ked, won’t be long now till AFL is the number one code in NSW with at least 8 teams.

T-Boon

Coach
A better point is the game has changed either through necessity or design, neither automatically designates improvement.

In my opinion the game has mainly changes due to coaching tactics.
I'd be reluctant to fit that in under your heading of "design" because I don't think the coaches were standing back and looking at the bigger picture of how we want the game to look when they came up with their numerous tactics (for example the wrestle). What they were thinking about was winning games. Thats fine thats their job. But the last ten years have taught us lets not leave coaches in charge of the overall design of the gameplay.
There should be a committee of people who are solely interested in the game as a whole who are left in charge of the rules and NRL coaches should just about be seen as their enemy. It should be made up of people from lower leagues, high schools, Britain, France, PNG, NZs top league etc, that dude from Toronto etc.

You're problem is if you got your 40/30 this week you'd want 40/40 next week

I don't think so. 40/30 is enough to deliver a more adventurous style of gameplay. Wingers would absolutely have to get back and cover the repeat set threat for most of the set not just last tackle. Which is all we really need.

Life's Good

Coach
Just for the noone has suggested that an AFL team is happening in Newcastle. But what is reality that not only in Newcastle but elsewhere in NSW has witnessed significant AFL marketing and development activity. Just making sure the awareness is there! So if the game of RL is arse f**ked that noone can state that they are surprised/shocked or didn't know it was happening. Just for the record for any hand sitters with blinkers on.
Not being rude but ‘noone’?? As a teacher I hope you aren’t passing this little nugget when it comes to marking English papers.

kbw

Bench
Im in primary schools in GWS land.

18 schools and the Giants and AFL viewed with mirth by the multi ethnic kids and parents.

NRL is king of the kids.

The few kids who "play" AFL tend to be the kids on the bottom of the barrel when it came to sport...the weak, the feeble, the chronic asthmatics.

No 20 year plan or million dollar investment will save them.

They know out in Western Sydney they are after fans and people to go to the games which they are doing ok. The demographics will have most kids playing RL or RU. The stupid thing is that the NRL think this applies to the rest of the state and it doesn't

Canard

Immortal
I tell you somewhere that's "totally off the NRL" . Primary school students in the school I taught at yesterday. The kindies were showing me 'footy'cards. They were AFL cards! A girl and boy of older age were holding Afl footballs much of the day? Another girl was playing AFL and had never heard of 'Leaguetag' ? This is in the supposedly very staunch 'rugby league' city of Newcastle in the Hunter Valley of NSW!

Then every stood up and gave you 100$%

Latest posts