What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

• 1st to 4th

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • 5th to 8th

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • 9th to 12th

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • 13th to 16th

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BBTB

Juniors
I am taking the Coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with perspective. I believe that we have a very good forward pack, a very good pair of halves and some very promising and exciting outside backs. I believe that we have the cattle to make the top 8 and possible finish top 4 if our young outside backs are given the opportunity and succeed. I am not happy with Mary as coach, but I am firm believer that games are won on the field. Jack Gibson used to say that Rugby League is a simple game. He also used to say, do the simple things right, well that can't be too hard to coach. Gibson also said that if you have got the best halfback in the comp (Sterling), then you are halfway there. Well Hunt may not be the best halfback in the comp, but he is one of he better ones and will be the best halfback we have had since Smith. I think the upgrade of Hunt from Mcrone, will make a massive difference too.

Basically I believe that we should make the top 8, irrespective of who the coach is.
Well I think we all sure do hope so..

nickdragons90

Juniors
5th to 8th. I think the top 4 teams will be Melbourne, roosters, broncos, cowboys. I don't think we are quite at there level yet, but certainly have the squad to finish in 5th to 8th.

JDHD

Juniors
26 Rounds...minus 2 byes (4 points )

30 points generally gets you into the 8 ( or has done so in the last few years.)....

12/13 wins = 24 / 26 points + 4 points for the bye = 30 points

25 rounds with one bye = 2 points.

12/13 wins = 24 / 26 points + 2 points for the bye = 26 / 28 points

BennyV

Referee
I am taking the Coach is only as good as the cattle he has to work with perspective. I believe that we have a very good forward pack, a very good pair of halves and some very promising and exciting outside backs. I believe that we have the cattle to make the top 8 and possible finish top 4 if our young outside backs are given the opportunity and succeed. I am not happy with Mary as coach, but I am firm believer that games are won on the field. Jack Gibson used to say that Rugby League is a simple game. He also used to say, do the simple things right, well that can't be too hard to coach. Gibson also said that if you have got the best halfback in the comp (Sterling), then you are halfway there. Well Hunt may not be the best halfback in the comp, but he is one of he better ones and will be the best halfback we have had since Smith. I think the upgrade of Hunt from Mcrone, will make a massive difference too.

Basically I believe that we should make the top 8, irrespective of who the coach is.
Jack Gibson last coached in the late 80s. The game has changed dramatically, and the role of the coach has changed with it. Back then, the coach had to ensure that the players stayed off the piss long enough to throw a passs straight. Nowadays, the coach is a man-manager, tactician, teacher, project manager, accountant, babysitter and shaman. And each of those is a full-time job.

Yes, the players will play a huge part in it, but a shitty coach like ours can have the best players on the planet and it wont guarantee success.

getsmarty

Immortal
25 rounds with one bye = 2 points.

12/13 wins = 24 / 26 points + 2 points for the bye = 26 / 28 points

Are there not 2 bye rounds? Hence 4 points in byes....so 13 wins ( 26 points ) + 4 points for bye = 30 points.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
With a real coach - 1-4

With McGregor masquerading as a coach - 9-12

Footnote - If McGregor starts the year off poorly, gets sacked ............. a real coach appointed before the halfway mark, we can still make the eight and then some ........... oh yeah!
The best of both worlds...............Give my some of that.

Dear Santa,
Could you please sack the balded one.
Give us a real one and have a good one.
OKB1
Best possible result. This is also on my christmas list

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
5th to 8th. I think the top 4 teams will be Melbourne, roosters, broncos, cowboys. I don't think we are quite at there level yet, but certainly have the squad to finish in 5th to 8th.
OK, but I reckon Parra will be up there too and think Penrith will improve now that theyve dumped Moylan for Maloney. That sort of leaves us fighting for the last spots in the eight with Manly/Souths/Sharks/Dogs and maybe Raiders.

Old Timer

Coach
Storm
Cowboys
Broncos
Roosters
Eels
Penrith
Manly
Sharks

Raiders
Dragons
Knights
Souths
Tigpies
Dogs
Warriors
Titans
If Knights get Pearce I expect them to go close and Manly drop out

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Storm
Cowboys
Broncos
Roosters
Eels
Penrith
Manly
Sharks

Raiders
Dragons
Knights
Souths
Tigpies
Dogs
Warriors
Titans
If Knights get Pearce I expect them to go close and Manly drop out

Looks about right. Really difficult to rank teams 7 to 12 in your list. I reckon Pearce will be a disruptive force if he ends up at Manly, so I think they may drop out whether they get him or not.

Old Timer

Coach
if we miss out on Walmsely I say about 7th
Earlier you said we finish 4th with Walmsley
Now you say 7th without Walmsley
As we finished 9th last year you therefore think Hunt & Graham can only improve us 2 spots and in reality we should have really finished 8th so maybe only improve 1 spot.
So on your maths Walmsley must be 1 hell of a player so maybe we should have chased him first and forgotten about the other 2 until later.

SBD82

Coach
Earlier you said we finish 4th with Walmsley
Now you say 7th without Walmsley
As we finished 9th last year you therefore think Hunt & Graham can only improve us 2 spots and in reality we should have really finished 8th so maybe only improve 1 spot.
So on your maths Walmsley must be 1 hell of a player so maybe we should have chased him first and forgotten about the other 2 until later.
I think we will finish first without walmsley. Super first with him.

nontime111

Juniors
Ive seen heaps of ESL with him hes amazing, im sure theyll go after him for 2019 so they dont have to pay transfer fee for next season but id still love them to pay that anyway hes s gun, with a prop rotation of Leeson, Vaughn, Graham and Walmsley wed rip holes in any team and be down near the sticks each set for Hunt to weave his magic youll see....

Old Timer

Coach
If these stats are indicative of what the fans really think will happen for season 2018 then there was obviously nothing wrong with the coach it was all the departing players fault and his 3rd attempt at the team he wants is the right one and the others were just practise.
The battle lines are being drawn with the "nay sayers" sounding their grim warnings and the "true believers" will soon cast derision on them.
Time to take down the Sack Mary thread as a coach who can get the team into the semis sure as hell ain't gonna get sacked by our management team considering the drought we have been experiencing in recent years.
Mary must be the real deal.

slippery5

Juniors
Given a decent coach I reckon we make the 8 regularly over the last few years as opposed to making it once in the last 5 years. ...we were only a few wins short...A Decent coach would have got us over the line.
The coach absolutely hasn't helped but either has having a halves & 3/4 combination that is not worth a pinch of sh.t

Latest posts