What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aietken bench strike player

Ted bartolo

Juniors
Definitely a first grade player who lacks a bit speed.His main asset is strength.He could come on and cover outside backs and backrowers and hopefully create or score tries when sides are tired.ps all ways reminded me of being a Roy Ferguson type player.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
A couple of points:

1. Aitken is a one dimensional player, who is a centre only.

2. After Dufty, he would have to be the Dragons second quickest individual.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I actually think Aikten's best role for us could be as a bench player too. I think he is a backrower playing out of position. He did play lock for most of his juniors. If he was on the bench, he could come on as a backrower and be able to fill in at centre in case of an injury to an outside back. The thing is that he lacks size for the forwards and we have the likes of Host, Leilua and Ford, who are all probably better backrow prospects than Aikten.

Aikten should definitely not be picked at centre. He lacks the passing game for centre. He also does not have the speed to beat his opposite number. In his first year, I noticed that his game was lacking. I hoped that he could develop his game, but he hasn't. I think his best chance is to become an edge backrower, with a high work rate. I think he has the ticker to play in the forwards. I think he would be able to defend as an edge backrower too.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I actually really like Aitken as a player and I think he's quite deceptively fast. I've definitely seen him burn players before, the only thing he's lacking is that flair... The ability to throw an offload in traffic and put his winger away.

I don't mind the idea of him coming off the bench, i'm definitely foreseeing a bit of a Chris Lawrence style transition for him in the future. I really hope he does kick on at centre for us next year though because he had so much potential coming through the juniors system and we desperately need a strike centre.

possm

Coach
I for a long time have thought that Aitken's best position is in the backrow. Like Thompson and may other backrowers before him, he could always be moved to the centre during a game if an injury occurs. Our squad is now littered with a number of players who can play dual positions and that is a good thing. I'd say there is no reason these days for not going for a bench of four forwards.

With the likes of Field, Dufty, Mann and Widdop in our backline, most positions can be covered simply by moving a forward like Thompson to centre. I'd like to see Aitken in the backrow rotation in reserve grade, pushing his way into first grade over the 2018 season. For me Lafia is the ideal right centre and Mann the ideal left centre. With these two experienced first graders as our centres, it opens opportunities for young speedy wingers to take their place on our wings.

In the past there have been calls for Widdop to move to fullback. After seeing his performance for England in that position, I am convinced that it is time for him to move to the fullback position with Field partnering Hunt in the halves. This then allows a beefed up Dufty and one of our best outside back prospects in Lomax to occupy the wing positions.

BBTB

Juniors
I think Aitken would make a fantastic impact player. Coming off the bench after 30mins. His strength & agility would cause big problems for the opposition forwards ,as they tier 10min before half-time..
Definitely a first grade player who lacks a bit speed.His main asset is strength.He could come on and cover outside backs and backrowers and hopefully create or score tries when sides are tired.ps all ways reminded me of being a Roy Ferguson type player.

Country Dragon

Juniors
IMO, Aitkens biggest problem is his defence.
Couple that with his inability ( or willingness) to pass, doesn’t make him an ideal centre!

Belta

Juniors
I hope he kills it in centre this year. He is still young, very strong, quick and plays with a lot of heart. I just keep thinking the coaching staff must believe it to be his best position. I just feel he will struggle (size wise) to win a forward spot. Personally I wouldn't mind him and MacDonald switching positions

possm

Coach
I hope he kills it in centre this year. He is still young, very strong, quick and plays with a lot of heart. I just keep thinking the coaching staff must believe it to be his best position. I just feel he will struggle (size wise) to win a forward spot. Personally I wouldn't mind him and MacDonald switching positions
As a winger, Aitken would be terrible. He struggles to take a high ball and not good on kick returns. For some reason he constantly lets the high ball bounce.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As a winger, Aitken would be terrible. He struggles to take a high ball and not good on kick returns. For some reason he constantly lets the high ball bounce.

leave the guy alone.. he suffers from torticollis..

gaz_head

Juniors
Aitken might find it hard to cement a spot next year. For me, nene should play right centre and mann on the wing. Field should be the utility on the bench

possm

Coach
Aitken might find it hard to cement a spot next year. For me, nene should play right centre and mann on the wing. Field should be the utility on the bench
Yea, that would make a huge difference to our right side defence and solve the backline speed problem. Macdonald and Aitken are not what we need in our first grade backline.

Life's Good

Coach
Our lightest forward is +100kgs. Aitken is 92kgs. I just don’t see how he makes the transition to bench forward when he is undersized.
He is a centre. Either he makes it there or he gets moved on(I reckon he’ll go better with less injuries/more game time).
People advocating shifting players really underestimate our coach.
Think about this:
SuperCoach had all season to get McCrone to kick to Nene on the full. How did that go?
SuperCoach had all season to get bench rotation right. How did that go?

Crush

Coach
Aitken has his moments. He's "OK". I doubt he will ever be a damaging centre. Both him and lafai are our weak links IMO. We need this Lomax kid everyone is talking about to fit straight into first grade and a couple of quick strong wingers and we will be complete. Yes, and a new coach would help too.....

Life's Good

Coach
Aitken has his moments. He's "OK". I doubt he will ever be a damaging centre. Both him and lafai are our weak links IMO. We need this Lomax kid everyone is talking about to fit straight into first grade and a couple of quick strong wingers and we will be complete. Yes, and a new coach would help too.....
Careful Crush, try to avoid mentioning the ‘C’ word. You’ll be accused of derailing the thread!

Life's Good

Coach
I was just trying it out. I wanted to have a turn at criticising the coach. It felt unnatural.
I disagree. I have noticed from you a higher degree of criticism aimed at SuperCoach. Granted it’s subtle but your criticism is shining through. Welcome:wink:.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Our lightest forward is +100kgs. Aitken is 92kgs. I just don’t see how he makes the transition to bench forward when he is undersized.
He is a centre. Either he makes it there or he gets moved on(I reckon he’ll go better with less injuries/more game time).
People advocating shifting players really underestimate our coach.
Think about this:
SuperCoach had all season to get McCrone to kick to Nene on the full. How did that go?
SuperCoach had all season to get bench rotation right. How did that go?

Agree Life's Good
The only way you would carry a 92kg forward on the bench is if he was a hooker and he would never make it as a hooker .
He needs to fight for his spot in the centre .
If he not good enough then drop him.
It would also help if he was playing on his prefered side.
Supercoach loves playing players on the wrong side nighty and nene are playing on there unnatural sides.
Aitken is playing on his wrong side.
He even plays fizz in the middle ( even throw he plays well anywhere) .
He is a much better edge runner.
Mary also does that to host .
He sould be a edge running player.

BBTB

Juniors
Agree Life's Good
The only way you would carry a 92kg forward on the bench is if he was a hooker and he would never make it as a hooker .
He needs to fight for his spot in the centre .
If he not good enough then drop him.
It would also help if he was playing on his prefered side.
Supercoach loves playing players on the wrong side nighty and nene are playing on there unnatural sides.
Aitken is playing on his wrong side.
He even plays fizz in the middle ( even throw he plays well anywhere) .
He is a much better edge runner.
Mary also does that to host .
He sould be a edge running player.
Yeah ,Craig Wing was 110kls.
He was a real flop as a bench player.
G.WING one the best impact players of his generation. He weighed 85kls .
He did for NEW at Origin level.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: