What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angus

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hi guys,
Haven't posted here for ages, but thought you might all be interested in an article I found. Gus sounds like a top bloke and shows maturity way beyond his years.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/angus-crichton-balanda-son-to-yolngu-mum/#uuoxi28VpyvuWYlL.97
He is a great bloke.......

What he has done and will continue to do to help out others is signs of how mature he is for 21.......

I can't blame him for saying he needs to be in the best environment.....

I honestly can't see us pushing up next season so he will leave to one of these other clubs that seem to be run better than ours currently...........

callmack1

Staff member
Hi guys,
Haven't posted here for ages, but thought you might all be interested in an article I found. Gus sounds like a top bloke and shows maturity way beyond his years.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/angus-crichton-balanda-son-to-yolngu-mum/#uuoxi28VpyvuWYlL.97
Thanks for sharing bro.

All I can say is wow. Obviously, I've heard his story many times and knew he was a fantastic bloke but that article is outstanding. It's guys like him we need more of in our game and he will become the face of the game one day.

I will understand if he departs but I'll be so gutted. We'll just have to wait and see. I pray he stays with us.

doyen

Bench
It's pretty obvious now that Angus is NOT exactly jumping out of his skin to re-sign with Sths-----if he was he would have signed our supposedly great offer by now!
It seems like his father plays a big role in advising him------Angus will do what's best for his rep career,I reckon------playing with a successful club will boost his chances of representing!!

Thadius

Juniors
Tragedy if we lost Angus.

He was in our system for a long while and we were patient with his development. A real kick in the guts if that development was gratuitously received by Easts or Cronulla.

But I think it will be all about dough more than playing for a so called 'top club'.

Souths will foolishly argue when Angus departs that they have signed Murray for much less and that he is just as good, which is sheer codswallop.

We should be busting our arse to keep both while casting an eye over the cabbage some of the big names are on and what we get for our dollar.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If I was Angus I would be shitting myself from all this hype. The amount of pressure he's going to have on him next year is going to be huge. I just hope he has a good 2018.

themacemaceman

Juniors
It's pretty obvious now that Angus is NOT exactly jumping out of his skin to re-sign with Sths-----if he was he would have signed our supposedly great offer by now!
It seems like his father plays a big role in advising him------Angus will do what's best for his rep career,I reckon------playing with a successful club will boost his chances of representing!!
I don't necessarily think he has to play for a successful club to help his rep career. Gagai is a classic example of a bloke from a shit team playing rep footy.
He wants to win a title.
We need to be above "500" for the first 8-10 games of the season in my opinion if we are to keep him.
He will want to put all this to bed by mid season.

doyen

Bench
Tragedy if we lost Angus.

He was in our system for a long while and we were patient with his development. A real kick in the guts if that development was gratuitously received by Easts or Cronulla.

But I think it will be all about dough more than playing for a so called 'top club'.

Souths will foolishly argue when Angus departs that they have signed Murray for much less and that he is just as good, which is sheer codswallop.

We should be busting our arse to keep both while casting an eye over the cabbage some of the big names are on and what we get for our dollar.

Actually,I think Angus was playing his Jnr RL with the Roosters before coming to us.
We have,however,of course, played our part in his development!

Actually,I think Angus was playing his Jnr RL with the Roosters before coming to us.
We have,however,of course, played our part in his development!

His Roosters junior links are drastically overstated.

He was playing Union for Scotts college and made the Junior Wallabies. At the same time he had a bit of a dabble in league with one of the roosters junior sides. That's when we signed him. So basically... He was a Rugby Union junior who played the odd game of league. We signed him in 2013 for the 2014 season I believe and he's been with us since. As far as the game of League is concerned, he is well and truly a Souths junior because we are where he has played the bulk of his junior rugby league... All bar a handful of games.

Will be filthy if we lose him but I also think its a certainty that he's gone.

If he were staying, he'd have signed on by now.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I disagree.

If he comes out next year and continues to play at his 2017 form his value on the market will increase.

He'd be pretty stupid to deny himself the chance to earn more money.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
My guess is he'll decide on his future around Origin time.

If he doesn't make the NSW team he'll take the best deal available, if he does then he'll take the best offer on the table after the series.

Whoever his managers and advisers are, they aren't doing right by Angus imo. If I were in his ear I'd have told him to sign on for another year at Souths. Get the contract thing out of the way, at least temporarily so that he can focus on his football for this year. Play well, crack Origin and then the world is his oyster for 2019 and beyond.

It's not like we wouldn't be offering him a nice one year deal so he'd still be making a tidy increase.

Thing is, if this drags on for too long then it has the potential to affect his football and you don't want people thinking that last year was a flash in the pan.

This year will make or break him because he'll have a target painted on him now. He needs to be on top of his game from day one... Not worried about how much money he can earn.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Whoever his managers and advisers are, they aren't doing right by Angus imo. If I were in his ear I'd have told him to sign on for another year at Souths. Get the contract thing out of the way, at least temporarily so that he can focus on his football for this year. Play well, crack Origin and then the world is his oyster for 2019 and beyond.

It's not like we wouldn't be offering him a nice one year deal so he'd still be making a tidy increase.

Thing is, if this drags on for too long then it has the potential to affect his football and you don't want people thinking that last year was a flash in the pan.

This year will make or break him because he'll have a target painted on him now. He needs to be on top of his game from day one... Not worried about how much money he can earn.
Even if he signed for another year, it'd just postpone the issues.

The longer he plays and develops, the more he's worth. Signing in the off season would be selling himself short

doyen

Bench
I disagree.

If he comes out next year and continues to play at his 2017 form his value on the market will increase.

He'd be pretty stupid to deny himself the chance to earn more money.

I'm not sure what you're getting at!
What are you disagreeing with??
I agree with what you say!

callmack1

Staff member
Completely agree Rabbitoad. Who knows, Gus may really want to re-sign but he just wants to up his value? He'd be stupid not to and I think most players in his position would. I don't think he'll make a decision til mid next year.

doyen

Bench
That he would have signed by now.

Why would he sign now and give up weeks of play that will up his value?

Weeks of play may also downgrade his value too; especially if he gets a serious injury.

Angus flew under the radar in 2017 in his rookie year but from now on he will be a target.

Second year syndrome can hit hard!!

If he really wants to play with Sths ,& IF he has a big offer on the table from them ,then it may be in his interest to grab it!!!

Last edited:

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Weeks of play may also downgrade his value too; especially if he gets a serious injury.

Angus flew under the radar in 2017 in his rookie year but from now on he will be a target.

Second year syndrome can hit hard!!

If he really wants to play with Sths ,& IF he has a big offer on the table from them ,then it may be in his interest to grab it!!!
From everything I've heard from him in interviews etc I doubt he'd be that negative in his approach.

I also doubt he'll be short on big money offers, even if he gets injured early on in 2018.

Latest posts