What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Ashes Test: Australia v England at Adelaide, Dec 2-6 2017

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You're short a 5th bowler who can get through a few tidy overs to give the fast men a rest.

Fatigue could be what breaks the attack.

you may be right,

time will tell but when you go back to our best team when we had Warne, McGrath, Dizzy and co, we had Marto at 6 and never really needed an all rounder and I think this pace attack is better and still very young. Lyon is in some decent form but he's no Warne

if we needed some one to bowl 5 or 6 overs he doesn't necessarily need to be medium pace, Travis Head for example

Eelectrica

Referee
Oh great you're sorted...

Re: Lyon - that's assuming he's not having a bad day, but if they start getting on top of him then you've got a spinner leaking runs and at least two tired fast men.

Re: Smith - why isn't he bowling a few himself?
That's the question. Would really like to see Smith have a few more overs when the other bowlers aren't doing much of anything. Australia captains have a history of not bowling as often as they should. Even a 2 or 3 over spell here and there I'd take..

Bazal

Post Whore
Smith doesn't seem to rate the idea of part timers and that extends to himself it seems...he barely bowls Maxwell or Cartwright, for example. He seems to like Travis Head but that's about it.

vvvrulz

Coach
you may be right,

time will tell but when you go back to our best team when we had Warne, McGrath, Dizzy and co, we had Marto at 6 and never really needed an all rounder and I think this pace attack is better and still very young. Lyon is in some decent form but he's no Warne

if we needed some one to bowl 5 or 6 overs he doesn't necessarily need to be medium pace, Travis Head for example

At your pomp you had McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Kasprowicz all at their peaks, with Lee in the reserves. Stephen Fleming described that as facing three Hadlees.

All due respect to the current crop, but only an attack like that could afford four bowlers for an entire test series. Even then I'm pretty sure Clarke, Hayden, Symo etc. would crank out a few cheap overs if things went on too long.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Home advantage is now pretty much the deciding factor in the Ashes, neither team is good enough to adapt and can't play in unfamiliar conditions.

The stats back it up, that's now 8 out of 9 series the home team has won.

you hold that thought whilst we give you a 5-0 thumping yet again

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
At your pomp you had McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Kasprowicz all at their peaks, with Lee in the reserves. Stephen Fleming described that as facing three Hadlees.

All due respect to the current crop, but only an attack like that could afford four bowlers for an entire test series. Even then I'm pretty sure Clarke, Hayden, Symo etc. would crank out a few cheap overs if things went on too long.

we've also got Pattinson who is just as quick and plenty of mongrel, but seems to be broken all the time

he's a decent back up if he ever gets fit, still young too

vvvrulz

Coach
we've also got Pattinson who is just as quick and plenty of mongrel, but seems to be broken all the time

he's a decent back up if he ever gets fit, still young too

Even so, I still don't rate that anywhere near the Aussie attack of the 2000s, which even floored India in their home turf. And that's again kinda the point, all three of Cummins Starc and Patto have had injury problems, doesn't make sense to ask them to bend their backs a little more than usual.

On a side note - it would actually be hilarious if Levers found his way back, I'm no TBS fan but it would be truly diabolical if he was kept out for that hack.

JJ

Immortal
you may be right,

Problem with the current team is the batting, which at times folds leaving the bowlers to step up too quickly - never had that issue with the great team - NZ has this problem consistently LOL

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^ Allrounder Mitchell Marsh has been added to Australia's 13-man squad for third Test of the Magellan Ashes series in Perth, where Australia will look to secure the urn.

He is replacing Chad Sayers as the 13th man so yeh, he wont get a run.

Unless they drop Handscombe, would not put it past them

Showtime

Juniors
^^^ Allrounder Mitchell Marsh has been added to Australia's 13-man squad for third Test of the Magellan Ashes series in Perth, where Australia will look to secure the urn.

He is replacing Chad Sayers as the 13th man so yeh, he wont get a run.

Unless they drop Handscombe, would not put it past them

They won't drop Handscomb....remember they carried George Bailey through the entire Ashes series in 13/14. If we were losing then I reckon he'd be gone.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
tbh I wouldn't pick Handscombe again, he looked terrible in the second innings

he tried to change his technique while he was batting, he started with a Smudger like technique getting across outside off stump and ended up playing some shots from around leg stump which looked better but lacked footwork

he looked like he was really fighting with himself trying to change things, he needs to get in the nets or state cricket and sort that shit out

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...ll-marsh-pace-back-up-fast-bowlers/2017-12-06

looks like what might happen, MMarsh in for Handscomb

Punter gives it to Handcombs technique

"You see a lot of people finish in that position after they've pushed back from their front foot onto their back foot and finish six inches from their stumps, but I've never seen anyone start there," Ponting told cricket.com.au

"That, in itself, could mean there's some sort of issue going on. I'm not sure what it might be but batting back there he's trying to give himself as much time as he possibly can.

"If he's always done it and that's the technique he wants to stick with that's fine, but when you see him start moving his feet like he did today; one ball (he was) two feet outside off stump, the next ball outside leg stump, that's going to make batting pretty difficult.

"There's going to be a few things there that need to be changed as far as I'm concerned.

"If he keeps moving around like he does and moving back in front of his stumps it just looks like he's making batting more difficult for himself."

Bazal

Post Whore
tbh I wouldn't pick Handscombe again, he looked terrible in the second innings

he tried to change his technique while he was batting, he started with a Smudger like technique getting across outside off stump and ended up playing some shots from around leg stump which looked better but lacked footwork

he looked like he was really fighting with himself trying to change things, he needs to get in the nets or state cricket and sort that shit out

He just needs to go back to what worked for him in the past. Who cares where he stands, he's refusing to get onto the front foot and is really planted on the back foot. Yeah he's naturally more of a back foot player but when he cracked the side he was playing drives and sweeps and cuts. Now he looks like he's trying to play everything behind the wicket...