What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

orochimaru

Juniors
I heard on the radio that the knights signed him..

I knew this was going to happen after he ended his contract with the roosters..

We keep signing unwanted players

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I heard on the radio that the knights signed him..

I knew this was going to happen after he ended his contract with the roosters..

We keep signing unwanted players

Welcome to 2 weeks ago mate...

Also for the record he wasn't unwanted, he chose to leave the roosters after they signed Cooper Cronk (which you probably didn't know about until now) because he knew he would be playing second fiddle. 3 or 4 clubs had a crack at signing him but we got him, definitely a good signing for us.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I agree - Seems like you're still stuck in an Inzanami...(and having just looked it up, I have now learnt something new ;))

Oh, on Pearce?...I've got a good feeling about this - Strong in this one, is the force...sorry it's Star Wars release day.

Only concern is what we might lose in junior talent because of his signing but that is just part of operating (legally) within the salary cap in the NRL.

I think he is our best signing in a long, long time and I think it means we have turned a significant corner on recruitment and retention for the future, particularly if we take significant strides in performance and table position next year - whilst not necessarily having to get there in 2018, hopefully being in the mix for sneaking into the top 8 is seeming like a possibility.

Yosh

Coach
There's quite a bit of discussion (like pages and pages) on the rumored thread. Take a look there but the majority are really excited at the signing.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I awake at 4am and dont get home til 6:30.. so basically I feel like a zombie all the time, so sorry for posting that.

But what is everyones opinion?
Pearce is over hyped, thats always been my opinion. Very good NRL player when playing behind a dominant pack ( all of his career with the SOO being the exception ) . When his side is under the pump he fails to rise to the occasion and has poor last tackle options and his kicking game suffers as a result of pressure and less time ( think SOO ) . I hope I'm totally wrong but he is anything but a savior of our fortunes but a vast improvement on a one season rookie at the moment . I hope we dont look back in a few years and regret his signing with Lamb leaving and going on to be a far better player than Pearce ever hoped to be.

Having said that he's the best half we could hope to sign given our present state and will be a media draw card which can only enhance the clubs exposure ( sponsorship dollars ) and chances of bringing further talent to the club.

Yosh

Coach
Pearce is over hyped, thats always been my opinion. Very good NRL player when playing behind a dominant pack ( all of his career with the SOO being the exception ) . When his side is under the pump he fails to rise to the occasion and has poor last tackle options and his kicking game suffers as a result of pressure and less time ( think SOO ) . I hope I'm totally wrong but he is anything but a savior of our fortunes but a vast improvement on a one season rookie at the moment . I hope we dont look back in a few years and regret his signing with Lamb leaving and going on to be a far better player than Pearce ever hoped to be.

Having said that he's the best half we could hope to sign given our present state and will be a media draw card which can only enhance the clubs exposure ( sponsorship dollars ) and chances of bringing further talent to the club.

I think there is far too much confirmation bias in there based on NSW's SOO performances. He is by far the best option that was available to us and perfect in nearly every way: marquee signing to get the fans interested, just coming into his prime, 4 year contract.

If you believe that he is a 'very good' NRL player, what makes you say he is 'over hyped'? I doubt many people think he is anything but a 'very good' NRL player and what we need right now in the number 7 is a 'very good' NRL player.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

He has always had a bigger reputation than his talents deserved. But at club level, where everything is a bit slower than Origin, he will take us a long way.

I still think Mullen had more natural talent, but hopefully Mitch has the maturity to carry us further than Jarrod managed.

Burwood

Bench
I was reading some stats the other day in an article about how in 2017 the Roosters won the most amount of games in NRL history by a margin of 6 or less points, and I think it was 4 or 5 games that they won by 2 points or less. For a player who is so terrible at closing out games, Pearce’s team seemed to go pretty well at it last season.

Spot On

Coach
If he was the goal kicker that would make sense.

Luke Keary was outstanding with clutch plays and tries in key moments last season.

My thought are very similar to Knight Vision. There's no denying Pearce lacks the ability to dominate and close out big games. Setting up and executing a clutch play, creating a much needed try, gaining a repeat set when desperate for one etc have proven very difficult in important matches. Mullen was the same.

He is now a million dollar player in control of this side and I'm hoping Browny can get him to the next level. My one concern is if we will be nearly totally reliant on him for short kicking. That certainly isn't a strong point for him. Lamb would have complemented him nicely in that area imo but I say that obviously in the dark with Watson's skill set at 6.

That said, Pearce has some much needed strengths to his game that we havent had for an eternity. Strong defender, long kicker, good runner and support player, fit and hopefully injury free unlike Mullo.

Last edited:

Choppy182

Juniors
I'm pumped for this signing, exactly what we needed, an experienced half. I also think having so many ex roosters teammates will settle him in even more and can show it on the footy field. Knights memberships have spiked so once the season starts and he gets a full feel of the local supporters and how faithful and supportive they really are (wouldn't be used to that in sydney) I think we'll see the best of Mitchell Pearce.