What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break out star for 2018?

callmack1

Staff member
Look I’ll be completely honest with you. There are many 5/8ths in the competition that are better than Cody. Off the top of my head I’ll say Widdop, Keary, Morgan, Munster, Maloney are definitely better than him. I’d put him on the same level as Anthony Milford.

But if we’re being fair here Cody has been f**ked around for the majority of this year being put in fullback for a fair few games. If Cody gets the full season at 5/8th I think he can lead us to a finals spot. It was obvious that we were a different team with Cody at 5/8th. We didn’t play boring footy. There are definitely a few things I would like to see Cody improve on though. Kicking and ball playing are two of the biggest.
Correct. I think Cody can go to another level in 2018 and it'll be very interesting to see how he goes.

He's a fantastic player but he needs to work on not fading in and out of games, he needs to be there all the time. All the positional changes he was doing probably didn't help but there were times this year where he faded out of games. Being more settled in one position should allow him to really focus and build on his first two seasons.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Look I’ll be completely honest with you. There are many 5/8ths in the competition that are better than Cody. Off the top of my head I’ll say Widdop, Keary, Morgan, Munster, Maloney are definitely better than him. I’d put him on the same level as Anthony Milford.

But if we’re being fair here Cody has been f**ked around for the majority of this year being put in fullback for a fair few games. If Cody gets the full season at 5/8th I think he can lead us to a finals spot. It was obvious that we were a different team with Cody at 5/8th. We didn’t play boring footy. There are definitely a few things I would like to see Cody improve on though. Kicking and ball playing are two of the biggest.
It's all good to play more creatively and play an exciting brand of footy but first things first and I'll repeat it as myself and Callmack are the only ones mentioning this problem and others are turning a blind eye to it...... well our defence must improve and be looked at first and foremost before anything else...... if Seibs hasn't addressed this yet he has his priorities wrong and that my friend is a fact.........

No defence that is not strong to an extent and non resilient can make the top 8......

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It's all good to play more creatively and play an exciting brand of footy but first things first and I'll repeat it as myself and Callmack are the only ones mentioning this problem and others are turning a blind eye to it...... well our defence must improve and be looked at first and foremost before anything else...... if Seibs hasn't addressed this yet he has his priorities wrong and that my friend is a fact.........

No defence that is not strong to an extent and non resilient can make the top 8......

I understand where you’re coming from R20. Defence is an attitude and I’m sure it’s something Seibold will be focusing on. But our attack was just as woeful as our defence at times and I think Seibold and the fans have seen this as an equally significant problem. Hopefully Peter Gentle can help improve the defence as well.

callmack1

Staff member

100%. Defence wins Premierships. It was terrible last year and it must be addressed but STID is completely correct too, so was our attack.

I'm sure Seibs will be looking at both and it will be very different in 2018.

Rabbits20

Immortal
100%. Defence wins Premierships. It was terrible last year and it must be addressed but STID is completely correct too, so was our attack.

I'm sure Seibs will be looking at both and it will be very different in 2018.
I'm not willing to get excited though......

doyen

Bench
Jack GIBSON always said,"If the other team don't score--you can't lose."

DEFENCE!!!!

In 1973 a Gibson coached NEWTOWN team defeated Saints 1 to nil with a field goal!! At the time it was a huge achievement!

themacemaceman

Juniors
I have posted many times that Cody has NOT convinced me. I understand he does create moments. Has the skill & speed to set up play but if you are hoing to be honest, tell me if you believe, he is a top 8 half.
I feel the same mate.
He's definitely not a half back in my books.
5/8 is his position.
And he's a decent enough running 5/8 who can turn a game and create something out of nothing.
But I think he is a bit like Keary in a way that if Reynolds was out , he doesn't have the tools to steer the team around the park to victory.

De tmTrajic

Juniors
Burns is also another player that has a big point to prove coming into this next season. Whilst he was remembered for his performance against the panthers I think there were signs this year that this kid could be a star. He has that natural ability that most players have to work really hard on. I only have to talk about the charity shield this year to talk about how much potential this kid has. Maybe when origin comes around he could get a start in his preferred position of centre.

Everyone must be feeling the heat about their spots to be honest. There is a real chance for any of these young guys to establish themselves as first graders this season. There's basically a vacant number 3 and number 4 jersey with their names on it. I seriously don't think they'll get a better chance in their career than this season.

Great to see layers apon layers of young guys who could all challenge. I can't ever remember this situation. We had some great teams but outside those teams things were pretty skinny.

callmack1

Staff member
Great to see layers apon layers of young guys who could all challenge. I can't ever remember this situation. We had some great teams but outside those teams things were pretty skinny.
Yep, there's so many options which is great to see. Seibs certainly has a few selection headaches ahead of him...good selection headaches.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Jack GIBSON always said,"If the other team don't score--you can't lose."

DEFENCE!!!!

In 1973 a Gibson coached NEWTOWN team defeated Saints 1 to nil with a field goal!! At the time it was a huge achievement!
That's why I hope they are working on it.....

It's priority number one imo......

All good to throw the ball around but you can't win games consistently without a steely defence....

doyen

Bench
That's why I hope they are working on it.....

It's priority number one imo......

All good to throw the ball around but you can't win games consistently without a steely defence....

The most important thing for a batsman in cricket is to be out in the middle & not sitting in the pavilion;dismissed!!
It it the same in most sports---get your defence in order first!!!

De tmTrajic

Juniors
Correct. I think Cody can go to another level in 2018 and it'll be very interesting to see how he goes.

He's a fantastic player but he needs to work on not fading in and out of games, he needs to be there all the time. All the positional changes he was doing probably didn't help but there were times this year where he faded out of games. Being more settled in one position should allow him to really focus and build on his first two seasons.

Just had a look at the Telegraph 's top 10 youngsters & no bunnies to be seen. Not a good feeling considering the emphasis we have on juniors at the moment.

De tmTrajic

Juniors
Agreed. How can the likes of at least Murray not be in there? I think most fans from other clubs would have him there at least. We have plenty more young guys that are not far away at all.

Murray definitely but how about the boy who played for Lebanon. Then there are a few young forwards & outside backs that should of been there.

Pablooo

Juniors
Just had a look at the Telegraph 's top 10 youngsters & no bunnies to be seen. Not a good feeling considering the emphasis we have on juniors at the moment.

They are talking about players yet to debut. Most of our exciting young players debut last season and the others ready to debut are off the radar which is fine by me.