What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nene McDonald - This isn't going to be popular!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We are putting our faith in Lomax, because we identify a special talent who we are supremely confident that they will be a top line first grader with in 2 or 3 years. I think Lomax looks the best prospect we have had since Gasnier.

Time will tell...obviously...but as you say, it could take Lomax a couple of years before he's settled playing against men.

Drag Queen

Bench
Fair enough, however MacDonald was caught quite easily a couple times in the Nines Tournament.

He isn't quick by wingers' standards.
He is actually extremely quick given his size etc. Probably only behind Dufty, Field at this stage in a 40 metre sprint. Agree he has been a somewhat lazy. I'm hoping we'll see him playing out of his skin in 2018. Apparently I'm not allowed to play the age card, but I will anyway. The kid is still a pup, but if he screws it up this year a spell in reserves will be warranted. Have a very happy NY:)

TruSaint

Referee
He is actually extremely quick given his size etc. Probably only behind Dufty, Field at this stage in a 40 metre sprint. Agree he has been a somewhat lazy. I'm hoping we'll see him playing out of his skin in 2018. Apparently I'm not allowed to play the age card, but I will anyway. The kid is still a pup, but if he screws it up this year a spell in reserves will be warranted. Have a very happy NY:)

I will put up my hand DQ and say that i have been one of his critics. You nailed it in your assessment. He has the size , speed, and agility ( refer his time on the Coast ), to be a great winger. Yet, he has failed. He fades in and out of games too often for me. Whilst 23 is not old, he has had a few years in 1st grade, so am running out of patience. As you say, its 2018 or bust... Happy new year by the way :)

Drag Queen

Bench
I will put up my hand DQ and say that i have been one of his critics. You nailed it in your assessment. He has the size , speed, and agility ( refer his time on the Coast ), to be a great winger. Yet, he has failed. He fades in and out of games too often for me. Whilst 23 is not old, he has had a few years in 1st grade, so am running out of patience. As you say, its 2018 or bust... Happy new year by the way :)
Happy NY to you too TruSaint.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

100% true

possm

Coach

In short he is one of our players who needs the attention of our coaching staff to perform to his best. So the question is does our coaching staff know how to positively influence Macdonald.

Life's Good

Coach
Semi Radradra wasnt express pace & neither is Josh Mansour or even Nick Cotric, as examples. They are players who use strength, speed and good positioning to support, create or finish off backline movements.
Nene is a big body with enough pace to be a real threat but for some reason(fitness, energy, enthusiasm???)it just hasn’t clicked with us. For mine, the coaching staff need to make him sit through videos of the above players to open his eyes to what he should be doing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Time will tell...obviously...but as you say, it could take Lomax a couple of years before he's settled playing against men.
I did say 2 or 3 years. If Lomax is as good as I think he is, then he could be playing origin in 3 years time. As I have previously said, I think he is the best centre and fullback prospect that we have. I am happy with Dufty getting first crack at fullback, but I am not a fan of Aikten at centre and I think that if Lomax is given first shot at Aikten's centre spot, then he will be a success and hold his spot for the rest of the year and finish the year as our number 1 centre. But he needs to get picked for round 1 for him to prove me right. I don't expect Mary to pick him for round 1. I expect

1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Aikten
4 Lafai
5 McDonald

Semi Radradra wasnt express pace & neither is Josh Mansour or even Nick Cotric, as examples. They are players who use strength, speed and good positioning to support, create or finish off backline movements.
Nene is a big body with enough pace to be a real threat but for some reason(fitness, energy, enthusiasm???)it just hasn’t clicked with us. For mine, the coaching staff need to make him sit through videos of the above players to open his eyes to what he should be doing.

My prescription for improving Nene's game is simple.

Sharpen your mental focus and application or prepare yourself for a long stint in reggies.

Its up to the coach to make it clear that no player has a mortgage over any position.

Old Timer

Coach
Nene is a dud pure and simple regardless of wing or centre
Any thought that he should replace Aitken at centre is ridiculous as they are chalk and cheese as far as effort and exertion
Not withstanding that I’m not sure Aitken is our best option at right centre but is miles in front of soft cock Nene
All the talk about Nene at the Titans revolves around tries from kicks with a couple off intercepts the only time he ran any great distance IMO pretty much opportunities created for him and nothing created himself
People talking him up are just avoiding the inevitable which is waisting another year picking a plodder and yet again failing to develop a raw talent

Life's Good

Coach

Sharpen your mental focus and application or prepare yourself for a long stint in reggies.

Its up to the coach to make it clear that no player has a mortgage over any position.
Its a shame this philosophy wasn’t adopted in 2017. Not saying Nene cost us a Top8 spot but successful culture is bred from making tough decisions or decisions that are warranted(dropping out of form or non performers isn’t that tough).

TruSaint

Referee

Nailed it 100%.
I suspect though, he " does have a mortgage " on one wing spot.
Should have been dropped last year...

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
If we are going to be successful, we will need to have the management and coaching skills to turn player with potential into genuine first grade game breakers. I see Nene with the body, pace and enough skill to be this kind of player.

Please coaching team get him to watch the energy of so of the wingers in the NRL. Note the speed they hit the line, note the speed at which the chase the ball when its kicked through. Note the defense that big winders can perform and stop attacks on their side.

Mary, Dean and Ben, Your represent the lest capable element of the Dragons 2018 Campaign. Please get your players to play to their potential. The greatest improvement this year can be made from the coaching Box!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I did say 2 or 3 years. If Lomax is as good as I think he is, then he could be playing origin in 3 years time. As I have previously said, I think he is the best centre and fullback prospect that we have. I am happy with Dufty getting first crack at fullback, but I am not a fan of Aikten at centre and I think that if Lomax is given first shot at Aikten's centre spot, then he will be a success and hold his spot for the rest of the year and finish the year as our number 1 centre. But he needs to get picked for round 1 for him to prove me right. I don't expect Mary to pick him for round 1. I expect

1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Aikten
4 Lafai
5 McDonald

It probably won't surprise when I reveal that I'm a fan of Aitken, and strongly believe he's the club's number one centre (despite his defensive lapses of judgment).

Not only is he relatively quick, but I appreciate his hard running style which is in short abundance these days.

Belta

Juniors
our 1-5 need to improve and develop into more complete players both individually and as a unit for us to give us any chance of finals next year. There's no doubting Aitken is a tremendously strong runner of the ball, but it's other areas of his game that need to get better for him to be up with the top centres.

Drakon

Juniors
I commented early last year on Nene's lack of 'mongrel'. His pussy footing return of the ball - almost like he is afraid of getting hurt and I got poo-pooed for it. I wish I could recall who it was who made the comments. I'm comforted by the fact so many now realise it.

I do hold some hope Ben Hunt can form a combination with Nene and have him take some kicks for tries. Imagine if Nene returned the ball with the vigour of Val Holmes!