What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you know whether they all play in one competition in these two states, or are there separate competitions for city and country? How many are city based and how many country based?

Not sure Victoria but in WA there is a jnr comp in Perth, a jnr comp in the SW and smaller jnr comps in Pilbara and Kimberley.

Perth
SW
  • Australind Cowboys
  • Eaton Cowboys
  • Bunbury Titans
  • Dalyellup Rhinos
  • Busselton Broncos
  • South West Warriors
North
Pilbara
  • Pilbara Rugby League
  • Karratha Junior Rugby League
  • Port Hedland Hawks Junior Rugby League
  • South Hedland Cougars
  • Wickham Wasps
Kimberley
Broome
  • Broome Suns Junior Rugby League

Emu01

Juniors
Thought St George would be higher than that, at least as much as Balmain or Manly?

St George junior numbers was the reason I started this thread. They have 3 of the 9 junior clubs with only 3 teams. Unless the Dragons really push hard to try and build these 3 clubs up I fear for the whole St George area..

I rang the nrl and tried to organise help for recruitment for this year. After waiting two weeks I received a phone call from the St George liaison officer who assured me they are aware of the 3 clubs on life support and are doing everything in their power to increase junior numbers..

So I’m just praying things pick up next season.

The 3 clubs are Brighton Seagulls 3 teams, Earlwood Saints 3 teams,Kogarah Cougars 3 teams..

I also believe St Pats in the Cronulla junior league is down to just 2 teams last season.. It would be such a shame to see these clubs fold.

Stallion

First Grade
St George junior numbers was the reason I started this thread. They have 3 of the 9 junior clubs with only 3 teams. Unless the Dragons really push hard to try and build these 3 clubs up I fear for the whole St George area..

I rang the nrl and tried to organise help for recruitment for this year. After waiting two weeks I received a phone call from the St George liaison officer who assured me they are aware of the 3 clubs on life support and are doing everything in their power to increase junior numbers..

So I’m just praying things pick up next season.

The 3 clubs are Brighton Seagulls 3 teams, Earlwood Saints 3 teams,Kogarah Cougars 3 teams..

I also believe St Pats in the Cronulla junior league is down to just 2 teams last season.. It would be such a shame to see these clubs fold.

This is the real junior story out there. I know a junior club in Newcastle used to field two, sometimes three teams in an age group and are lucky to have one team in an age group. This has been the case for a decade. (The senior district club for that area was demoted to 2nd division never to return) And the main district junior club in my residential area used to have 500 to 600 players each season in the 70s & now they are at 200 players. The local rugby union clubs in the inner city areas are taking the juniors from rugby league. It's been happening for decades and now its reaching genuinely concerning levels. Our under19s fielded 3 local juniors with the rest sourced from an outer suburb whilst the local rugby union 19s numbered 48 local players. (many once league juniors)This has been the case for the past 3 seasons since under19s were introduced to the district RL comp in Newcastle. The three inner city rugby league clubs mostly play on Sundays(20 Sundays out of 24 home games last season). The rugby union clubs always play on a Saturday.

Last edited:

Emu01

Juniors
This is the real junior story out there. I know a junior club in Newcastle used field two, sometimes three teams in an age group and are lucky to have one team in an age group. This has been the case for a decade. The main district junior club in my area used to have 500 to 600 players each season in the 70s & now they are at 200 players. The local rugby union clubs in the inner city areas are taking the juniors from rugby league. It's been happening for decades and now its reaching genuinely concerning levels. Our under19s fielded 3 local juniors with the rest sourced from an outer suburb whilst the local rugby union 19s numbered 48 players. This has been the case for the past 3 seasons since under19s were introduced to the district RL comp in Newcastle. The three inner city rugby league clubs mostly play on Sundays(20 Sundays out of 24 home games last season). The rugby union clubs always play on a Saturday.

Stallion we both have spoken on here a few times about getting into the schools and being really aggressive about it like the Afl do.

You would have more of an idea than me being a school teacher do you see any improvement from the nrl re Rugby League programs or anything at all from the nrl/nswrl in schools? Cos its a disgrace to just let the game die in schools without a decent fight from nrl.

Emu01

Juniors
I have a theory on why we have had a sudden drop off in junior numbers in the last 3 years.

Alex Mckinonn was injured right as junior league was signing kids up and I remember a lot of mothers taking their kids out of League and straight into soccer and the way his injury was played out in the media and replayed thousands of times a lot of mums said no to footy and still are not letting their kids play thus hurting junior numbers..

I personally had two neighbors kids ask me about playing league next year but had to cancel due to their mothers saying no soccer only will be allowed.

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion we both have spoken on here a few times about getting into the schools and being really aggressive about it like the Afl do.

You would have more of an idea than me being a school teacher do you see any improvement from the nrl re Rugby League programs or anything at all from the nrl/nswrl in schools? Cos its a disgrace to just let the game die in schools without a decent fight from nrl.

Believe it or not this year I have noticed a marked improvement. I emailed and phoned the local junior rl development officer for Newcastle last year. I was concerned at the non existence of rugby league clinics everywhere (im a very busy Primary relief casual :so im seeing it). I advised that they promote leaguetag in the Primary schools. He answered "You are right, we have gone to the wrong age group." Meaning that they tried to promote leaguetag in high schools first and failed as most kids have their mind made up by 12 or 13. At least they corrected their mistake as a leaguetag gala day had 78 schools participating in it during term 4 this year. I've spoken to many mums and they would allow their kids to play leaguetag at primary school ages. Leaguetag needs to be a registered PSSA sport ASAP. The kids are crying out for it and the mums like it! On another development tact, if touch footy reintroduced the play the ball with the foot rule it would make things so much better for rugby league everywhere.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I have a theory on why we have had a sudden drop off in junior numbers in the last 3 years.

Alex Mckinonn was injured right as junior league was signing kids up and I remember a lot of mothers taking their kids out of League and straight into soccer and the way his injury was played out in the media and replayed thousands of times a lot of mums said no to footy and still are not letting their kids play thus hurting junior numbers..

I personally had two neighbors kids ask me about playing league next year but had to cancel due to their mothers saying no soccer only will be allowed.

Rugby league is a physical contact sport. It needs to be publicised and promoted as a fun experience giving virtues of commitment, physical intensity, inclusiveness, camaraderie and self confidence in bucket loads in comparison to other football codes. It's being undersold to the general public from my point of view.
Leaguetag is the answer however the development people have not been visiting inner city schools. Their is only one group of 3 or 4 people for the whole Hunter Valley backyard league clinics compared to four groups being funded by the NRL for Penrith. The Newcastle/Hunter development people tend to stay westwards which is also dissappointing.

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
Most if not all the NRL development people are doing a terrific job. The rule changes brought in for minis I think were a step forward. But it still needs to be promoted more from above and pushed that as a younger players game (minis and mods but esp minis) it is very safe.

Do some of you find that some clubs continue to be strong but others really struggle ?

Stallion

First Grade
Most if not all the NRL development people are doing a terrific job. The rule changes brought in for minis I think were a step forward. But it still needs to be promoted more from above and pushed that as a younger players game (minis and mods but esp minis) it is very safe.

Do some of you find that some clubs continue to be strong but others really struggle ?

In Newcastle some strong clubs have reduced in numbers, especially inner city and the medium sized clubs have dropped in numbers massively! Other codes like union are picking up potential juniors particularly in the inner city suburbs. Soccer has always been strong in numbers. The oval shaped football codes have been gaining rugby league type juniors through primary school clinics and poor visibility and promotion on the part of the junior RL clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you think the ownership system for development we have is part of the cause in Sydney? Ie three layers of governance : Leagues clubs/NRL clubs, NSWRL, NRL. I wonder how coordinated the three are?

Emu01

Juniors
Do you think the ownership system for development we have is part of the cause in Sydney? Ie three layers of governance : Leagues clubs/NRL clubs, NSWRL, NRL. I wonder how coordinated the three are?

Yes definitely PR. Every governing body thinks the other body is doing all the work,but in escence the junior clubs basically run themselves with a little bit of funding from the senior clubs but I have heard stories of the senior clubs withholding money promised to the junior clubs in the Cronulla district.

The Nswrl are supposed to run all the junior league comps in Sydney. The Nrl needs to get more involved not just talk about it.

Let’s see if the can turn things around this season. I don’t think they know how to.

Last year their efforts consisted of a few pathetic ads on tv asking kids to play junior league.

Emu01

Juniors

Your right kbw they need to run ads on tv stating how safe mini footy is appeal to the mums who won’t let their kids play.Cos their message is not getting through to the mothers most mums think League is to rough for their little Johnny to play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes definitely PR. Every governing body thinks the other body is doing all the work,but in escence the junior clubs basically run themselves with a little bit of funding from the senior clubs but I have heard stories of the senior clubs withholding money promised to the junior clubs in the Cronulla district.

The Nswrl are supposed to run all the junior league comps in Sydney. The Nrl needs to get more involved not just talk about it.

Let’s see if the can turn things around this season. I don’t think they know how to.

Last year their efforts consisted of a few pathetic ads on tv asking kids to play junior league.

what role should the NRL play if NSWRL is predominantly responsible for jnr RL? I'm thinking putting KPI's on NRL clubs around school visits etc, marketing of the game generally and game day vouchers for Jnr registered players maybe? What else could/should they be doing?

Emu01

Juniors
what role should the NRL play if NSWRL is predominantly responsible for jnr RL? I'm thinking putting KPI's on NRL clubs around school visits etc, marketing of the game generally and game day vouchers for Jnr registered players maybe? What else could/should they be doing?

Any help the Nrl can give would be appreciated. I emailed them in regards to sending Nrl players to the schools around registration day to encourage kids to sign up but I haven’t had a reply as yet.

When I first contacted them regarding the St George junior league the put me in contact with the liaison officer for St George area. So it’s pretty confusing sometimes they claim responsibility for the juniors and other times they pass the buck onto another body.

I think gala registration days in the local shopping centres and the schools with nrl players show bags stickers and posters are the way to go.

My brother and myself managed to sign up a whole under 6 team in one hour last year by setting up a table just inside the school gates. Parents collected the children wondered over and signed up the child for the season.

We just need the Nrl to order the players to do it because when we asked the Sharks and Dragons they only send a under 20’s player that the kids don’t know or no player at all.

kbw

Bench
My brother and myself managed to sign up a whole under 6 team in one hour last year by setting up a table just inside the school gates. Parents collected the children wondered over and signed up the child for the season.

great effort, its not hard just needs committed people like you.
I know the Eastern Suburbs JRL worked with all the clubs together to get their new mini comp off the ground and it went well

Emu01

Juniors
great effort, its not hard just needs committed people like you.
I know the Eastern Suburbs JRL worked with all the clubs together to get their new mini comp off the ground and it went well

The Easts juniors mini comp was played on a Sunday morning kbw I believe it was a great success. I had a couple of nephews playing there in the 17 season.

Do you think they should change to Saturday mornings or stick with Sundays?

kbw

Bench
The Easts juniors mini comp was played on a Sunday morning kbw I believe it was a great success. I had a couple of nephews playing there in the 17 season.

Do you think they should change to Saturday mornings or stick with Sundays?

they will stick with Sundays. They played Sundays for many years under the Souths Juniors comp and thats what everyone is use to. Also a lot of kids have school sport on Saturdays here

Emu01

Juniors
they will stick with Sundays. They played Sundays for many years under the Souths Juniors comp and thats what everyone is use to. Also a lot of kids have school sport on Saturdays here

Good points there kbw hopefully the mini comp can build on last seasons successful start.

cleary89

Coach
I agree league tag is a great way to get kids involved. I was the president of my zone PSSA, rugby league and league tag convenor for many years.

We started off with 4 boys teams in the competition (juniors and seniors). 4 years later we had 8 boys teams and 10 girls teams. This was in a zone of 11 schools.

We had good support from the nrl but mainly because I drove it. We would have development officers down each week refing games, handing out free passes and sometimes parra gear with some reserve grade players. By having the development officers there, it also meant they would talk to teachers who were interested and many of the schools had the backyard league program because of it.

But in the end it comes down to teachers putting in the extra work. I love footy, I love sport and I love providing opportunities for students. But in a lot of areas the old women hate PSSA and do nothing but whinge about it. As a parent, you basically need to complain until someone puts their hand up to run it at school.

Backyard league is really good, if it doesn't happen at your kids school complain enough until it does.

Development officers have picked up their game but still aren't at AFL level. The afl development officers have no idea about afl, they are basically people who want to work with kids. NRL still suffers from thinking they need footy players there (who rock up in sunnies, can't talk to kids and think they are heaps cool) but are improving.

My school got new jersys, 1/3 paid for by NRL, 1/3 paid for by local nrl club, 1/3 paid for by school. Apparently this is the case everywhere.

I've got some decent stuff out of it too, "NRL teacher ambassador" polo's, GF tickets, codes for regular season tickets and they put on a teacher appreciation round with free food and drinks and seats in corporate areas.

They are trying hard, but I still think they need an ex teacher in the office so they can better understand how to get into schools.

Latest posts