What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

He isn't even in the 6 development players. Why would we let other clubs dictate who we have to put into our top 30? If Keppie believes he is better served elsewhere good on him. It'll be a bummer to see him leave as he's a good kid and had a really good back end of the season. But we shouldn't be forced to put him into the top 30 this year or next if we believe he isn't ready just because some other club is offering stupid money.

He isn't even in the 6 development players. Why would we let other clubs dictate who we have to put into our top 30? If Keppie believes he is better served elsewhere good on him. It'll be a bummer to see him leave as he's a good kid and had a really good back end of the season. But we shouldn't be forced to put him into the top 30 this year or next if we believe he isn't ready just because some other club is offering stupid money.

So, is it him or not?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Spot on. Junior development isn't about keeping all the kids. It's about having options and keeping the ones that agree with your valuation of them. If any of these juniors think they're worth more (and a rival club agrees) you let them go. Case in point is Alex Twal. He's done well at the Tigers but they probably offered $300k+. You'll notice he didn't go to a 'well run' cub like Melbourne or the Roosters. He went to a club that pays overs.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's been mentioned we should bring one of the juniors on a development contract into the top 30.

Not exactly sure how these contracts work, but wouldn't it be pretty stupid cap / squad management to bring one into the top 30?

They have all agreed to a development contract, so why give them more money ? They can already train full time.

We also don't know how these "development" players will go or what position we may need to fill during the year.

I reckon leave a spot in the top 30 free and let's see how the season goes and how the development players perform.

If during the season we need a winger and either DA / GL are killing it or we need a forward and Stone has been great, then we can bring someone into the top 30.

Also leaving a spot open, gives us a spot if a "quality" player comes available during the year.

84 Baby

Referee
It's been mentioned we should bring one of the juniors on a development contract into the top 30.

Not exactly sure how these contracts work, but wouldn't it be pretty stupid cap / squad management to bring one into the top 30?

They have all agreed to a development contract, so why give them more money ? They can already train full time.

We also don't know how these "development" players will go or what position we may need to fill during the year.

I reckon leave a spot in the top 30 free and let's see how the season goes and how the development players perform.

If during the season we need a winger and either DA / GL are killing it or we need a forward and Stone has been great, then we can bring someone into the top 30.

Also leaving a spot open, gives us a spot if a "quality" player comes available during the year.
Like but (and I can’t be f**ked looking for it) there is rule about leaving spots open. I think you need min 29 spots filled by start of season? Might be 28. If so I agree with leaving both spots open and not throwing it at a junior just yet. An IDG may become available during the season, and given our hooker options may be handy for a season or 2

Chipmunk

Coach
Like but (and I can’t be f**ked looking for it) there is rule about leaving spots open. I think you need min 29 spots filled by start of season? Might be 28. If so I agree with leaving both spots open and not throwing it at a junior just yet. An IDG may become available during the season, and given our hooker options may be handy for a season or 2

If I recall reading something somewhere that you had to had 29 players in your roster by 1 March. But that was what was reported, nothing officially released from the NRL.

Glenneel

Bench
No but Pritchard retiring definitely frees one up, right?
No we have 28 spots filled and Fritchard was never one of them so still have 2 spots available. We kept money for Semi apparently so we now know he'll not be back.

Glenneel

Bench
Really I don't understand some of the decisions made by BA. The 4 year contract for Watmough was one of his worst and now we keep a spot open for Fritchard. Wtf. Played few games last year before being injured but had minimal impact and then fit for finals but not picked. So why hold a spot open?

We need to develop a harder edge much like Roosters. If you're no good you get shown the door, loyalty to a poor player won't win you a gf. Scour the comps from juniors up and sign those with potential. Not all will work out but some will. Until we develop the mentality of signing the best we'll never win a gf. We are not a retirement home for players past their best, or are we?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really I don't understand some of the decisions made by BA. The 4 year contract for Watmough was one of his worst
What was so bad about it? He only ended up in our cap for one season and he was instrumental in providing leadership and changing our culture. If you only look at a player's on-field form of course you're not seeing the whole picture. It's the same for Frank Pritchard. Was Bellamy a dope for signing Nate Myles this year?
and now we keep a spot open for Fritchard. Wtf. Played few games last year before being injured but had minimal impact and then fit for finals but not picked. So why hold a spot open?
Fritchard not only provided leadership but he was a great backup for Edwards while he was suspended. Fritchard was also second in our team for post-contact metres per run.
We need to develop a harder edge much like Roosters. If you're no good you get shown the door, loyalty to a poor player won't win you a gf. Scour the comps from juniors up and sign those with potential. Not all will work out but some will. Until we develop the mentality of signing the best we'll never win a gf. We are not a retirement home for players past their best, or are we?
The Roosters have just lost all their depth in one fell swoop. If they get injuries they are f**ked. Their 30 man squad includes 14 players who have played less than a season in the NRL.

Really I don't understand some of the decisions made by BA. The 4 year contract for Watmough was one of his worst and now we keep a spot open for Fritchard. Wtf. Played few games last year before being injured but had minimal impact and then fit for finals but not picked. So why hold a spot open?

the 4-year contract was a master stroke, He was never going to play 4 years, but it practically guaranteed him a cap-exempt end-of-career payout.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Compare our pack pre and post Watmough - did watmough help in achieving our improvement? Did he help with improving our culture ?

Don't forget coming into the 2015 season, our forwards were pretty inexperienced!!

natheel

Coach
Compare our pack pre and post Watmough - did watmough help in achieving our improvement? Did he help with improving our culture ?

Don't forget coming into the 2015 season, our forwards were pretty inexperienced!!
I’m sure he’s had some impact on our younger guys that were debuting around that year and 2014. Like Moeroa, Edwards and Mau (even though they’re older) but he hasn’t left a visible mark really. I think Beau Scott will leave more of an impression

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We need to develop a harder edge much like Roosters. If you're no good you get shown the door, loyalty to a poor player won't win you a gf.

Well BA has moved on or not re-signed the following after they played NRL under him:

Sandow
Lussick
Mossop
Paulo
Robinson
Tonga
Allgood
Hunt
Hoppa
Kelepi
Pauli
Sio
Morgan
Fariamo
Fui
Smith
Toutai
Falou
Nelson
Kelly

So in my opinion BA does move on players he doesn't think will help him win a GF!!

So what poor players has BA shown loyalty to?

Latest posts