What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

BennyV

Referee
Field and Dufty will both play many more games at fullback in first grade than Dugan will in the future.
And?
None of that means that they’ll be better than Dugan! If our coaching staff had half a brain cell and an ounce of creativity when it came to attacking structures, they’d have developed a game plan utilising Dugan’s strength instead of trying to shoehorn him into something he’s not!

But yeah, laughable that 2 undersized fullbacks with 7 games of first fade between them are going to be better this year than a bloke who won Man of the Series for his state in the position!

Drag Queen

Bench
I like the look of Field and Dufty. They have attributes that I want in a fullback, blinding speed and the ability to ball play too. I have heard from someone who goes down and watches them train and who speaks to the players that Dufty has put on some muscle. I have also read how Field has bulked up over the off season too. As long as they hold onto their speed and acceleration, they will have addressed an area that many of us are concerned about.

I have said many times before, that I think Lomax is our best centre prospect and best fullback prospect. Should Lomax be earmarked for the fullback spot? Personally I would be very happy for either Dufty or Field to kill it at fullback for us and for us to be able to keep Lomax as a centre. But Lomax could get bigger offers from other clubs, with the offer to play fullback, if we keep him centre. Easts may be in similar situation with holding onto Mitchell.

BTW. I think Lomax will be a much better fullback or centre than Dugan too.
You may be right regarding Lomax. Out of interest Frank, did you watch either Field or Dufty in the sem-finals in the ISP? Lacklustre but I'll try and remain optimistic. The game against the Dog's reserves was basically a dog's breakfast and showed us that neither Field or Dufty looked 1st grade material. Hopefully pre-season training shows us what they've got. If not, it time for plan B. Sorry there is no plan B.

Crush

Coach
And?
None of that means that they’ll be better than Dugan! If our coaching staff had half a brain cell and an ounce of creativity when it came to attacking structures, they’d have developed a game plan utilising Dugan’s strength instead of trying to shoehorn him into something he’s not!

But yeah, laughable that 2 undersized fullbacks with 7 games of first fade between them are going to be better this year than a bloke who won Man of the Series for his state in the position!
So you would have paid the big bucks to re-sign Dugan as our FB for the next 4 years in order to keep him Benny?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
You may be right regarding Lomax. Out of interest Frank, did you watch either Field or Dufty in the sem-finals in the ISP? Lacklustre but I'll try and remain optimistic. The game against the Dog's reserves was basically a dog's breakfast and showed us that neither Field or Dufty looked 1st grade material. Hopefully pre-season training shows us what they've got. If not, it time for plan B. Sorry there is no plan B.
Yes lacklustre in ISP let's talk about Matt in first grade madam .........:innocent:

Frank Facer

First Grade
And?

I actually wanted Dufty at fullback for us from game 1 last year, but then he got injured in the 9's and it took until around round 19 for him to get a run. So I actually thought he was a better fullback option for us last year, than Dugan. I expect Dufty to play well this season and perform better than Dugan has for us in the last 2 years.

As for Field, he may have a difficult time getting a game at fullback, if Dufty makes it his own, but I think Field can also develop into a much better fullback, than Dugan has been for us over the last few seasons. I think Field has a future as a first grade fullback, whether it be at our club or somewhere else. Dugan does not have a future as a fullback in the NRL.

Would you care to elaborate on what kind of attacking structures our coaching staff should have developed to utilise Dugan's strengths?

Drag Queen

Bench
So you would have paid the big bucks to re-sign Dugan as our FB for the next 4 years in order to keep him Benny?
I would have Crush but not on a 4 year contract due to his injury quota. He wanted to be our FB, as quoted by the tattooed man himself on numerous occasions. Got dicked around trying out other possible fullbacks. Yes, he got the nod as a centre for NSW, but this isn't the position he craves. I hope he goes well tbh.

Crush

Coach
I would have Crush but not on a 4 year contract due to his injury quota. He wanted to be our FB, as quoted by the tattooed man himself on numerous occasions. Got dicked around trying out other possible fullbacks. Yes, he got the nod as a centre for NSW, but this isn't the position he craves. I hope he goes well tbh.
I think the reason he signed for sharks in the end was the longterm contract. That and they told him he was an "elite player" and made him feel "special" which the Dragons apparently didnt do.
Its all BS at the end of the day DQ. He wanted maximum coin and thought he could get huge bucks at fullback for Dragons. Luckily Millward stood his ground. Now we need to fill that position which is a bit of a worry but Id rather experiment with the likes of Dufty, Field, Lomax etc who may work out to be great rather than persist with Dugan who was always going to be lucklaster in attack and injury prone in that position.

Frank Facer

First Grade
No I didn't watch any semi finals of first grade or ISP.

I think Dufty is our plan A for fullback. Field is probably our plan B right now.

Lomax could also be plan B for fullback too.

I think Millward even mentioned Marsters as a possible fullback for us in the future. He would probably be plan D right now.

We have lots of plans. lol

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No I didn't watch any semi finals of first grade or ISP.

I think Dufty is our plan A for fullback. Field is probably our plan B right now.

Lomax could also be plan B for fullback too.

I think Millward even mentioned Marsters as a possible fullback for us in the future. He would probably be plan D right now.

We have lots of plans. lol

Agree but with a slight change:
Plan A: Dufty
Plan B: Mann
Plan C: Field
Plan D: Masters (but not a least till 2019)
Personally I think Lomax is a centre in the Mark Gasnier mode.

Drag Queen

Bench
I think the reason he signed for sharks in the end was the longterm contract. That and they told him he was an "elite player" and made him feel "special" which the Dragons apparently didnt do.
Its all BS at the end of the day DQ. He wanted maximum coin and thought he could get huge bucks at fullback for Dragons. Luckily Millward stood his ground. Now we need to fill that position which is a bit of a worry but Id rather experiment with the likes of Dufty, Field, Lomax etc who may work out to be great rather than persist with Dugan who was always going to be lucklaster in attack and injury prone in that position.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Agree but with a slight change:
Plan A: Dufty
Plan B: Mann
Plan C: Field
Plan D: Masters (but not a least till 2019)
Personally I think Lomax is a centre in the Mark Gasnier mode.
I agree Dragonslayer and believe if the team is winning then Duffy will be there in the number 1. Any sustained early losses and I reckon Kurt Mann will be given the position with his experience. I also don't want to see Kurt Mann wasted on the wing or sitting on the bench for 70 minutes, he offers plenty around the ball!

Drakon

Juniors
Mary has to let Dufty play his natural game - which didn't happen in 2017. (I do realise Mary was trying to protect him).
I'm thinking Hunt could form a lethal partnership with Dufty. I'm hoping Ben is thinking along those lines even if Mary isn't.
2018 will be Dufty's big test. 2017 was an introduction.

Predicting Mary will start the year (barring injuries) with:-
Dufty
Nighty and Nene
Aitken and Lafai
Widdop
Hunt
Graham and Vaughan
McIness
Sims and JDB
Frizz
Host
Latimore (maybe Allgood or Sele)
LAM
Mann

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Seriously does it matter who's in tbe starting line up and how well we start 2018....weve done that in the past few years built up everyones hopes and dreams only to be slapped in the face from about round 13 onwards....so this year its reverse psychology....start crapp and come home with a wet sail.....saves all the arguing and disappointment later on......glad its basically a winter sport at least not every weekend the grass needs mowing from half time

BennyV

Referee
Probably not TBH. But in no way does that mean that I think that Dufty or Field will be better than him in 2018.

Latest posts