What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HASLER

OzDragon

Coach
And you might remember Manly "performed" poorly for the last few rounds famously losing to Parra among others and we took a large lead against the Tigers in the final round only to be run down and scrape through in golden point.
'Tis the Dragons way.

possm

Coach
I like Des as a coach and would welcome him with open arms at St.George during this stage of our clubs development as he's very good at building a team from scratch, putting a team together and getting them to believe in him, what he's doing and he will take them to great heights. However, I've definitely come to the conclusion that he's not a long term coach at any club for that very reason, he's definitely a coach in the moment. He builds a team from scratch and has the success that we've all seen but has no eye on the future and as soon as his crop have moved on or the core of his team have retired or disbanded, his time is done and he can't handle those in-between years of rebuilding. We've seen this happen with him now at two clubs. Building a team around an ageing Brett Morris was not a stoke of genius as much as it was a grasp at desperation.

Although he'd be great for St.George as we are today with (what I believe) is the first year of a new era for Saints, I'd fear that in 5 years time when Graham has gone, Widdop is at his end and Hunt is running on tired legs that he's gonna struggle and will not have built for the future and even if we do win a premiership in that time, we'll be back to where we were post Bennett when Des inevitably leaves us.

What I'd like to see is the club bring in Des as a coaching director, someone who's not the head coach but is there to coach the coach. I think Mary would benefit big time from having someone who's been there and done it show him how to mentor his team and that'd be a much better long time solution.
You lost me with your last paragraph. There is no way that I want Mary at the Dragons not now, not over the next few months and absolutely not for the rest of the year. I'm hoping that Des will settle with the Dogs soon and once that is done, well be picked up by the Dragons on a five year deal.

Where you do make some sense is to move Des to coaching director in say year 4 or 5 as a means to help his replacement settle in.

possm

Coach
I would prefer Geoff Toovey I think.

But if Bellamy is available in 2019 I would prefer just ride out the year with Mary and move him on at season's end.
If Bellamy is not retiring in 2019, he will go to Brisbane and probably end up coaching the Broncos or Titans. I can't bare to think that we would tear up seasons 2018 and 2019 in the hope of signing Bellamy.

Cut to the chase, sack Mary now and sign up Hasler for a chance of winning the GF in 2018. Hasler will most certainly bring through the likes of Lomax, Leilua, Herbert, Garrick and others. I'm sure he would have Mann and Lomax on the wings in early 2018. Lafai would know he is on notice and the likes of Aitken and Macdonald won't see a minute of first grade unless they start putting in a super effort..

Overseas dragon

Juniors
If Bellamy is not retiring in 2019, he will go to Brisbane and probably end up coaching the Broncos or Titans. I can't bare to think that we would tear up seasons 2018 and 2019 in the hope of signing Bellamy.

Cut to the chase, sack Mary now and sign up Hasler for a chance of winning the GF in 2018. Hasler will most certainly bring through the likes of Lomax, Leilua, Herbert, Garrick and others. I'm sure he would have Mann and Lomax on the wings in early 2018. Lafai would know he is on notice and the likes of Aitken and Macdonald won't see a minute of first grade unless they start putting in a super effort..
POSSM it's nice to dream mate

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
And you might remember Manly "performed" poorly for the last few rounds famously losing to Parra among others and we took a large lead against the Tigers in the final round only to be run down and scrape through in golden point.

Sure thing, but the main thing is that it was at Manly's expense...and I loathe those f**kers with every inch of my being.

Crush

Coach

I don't think Hasler was known for bringing through and developing juniors all that much. And at least in his last few years of coach was very conservative. Remember the dogs last year? They hardy scored any points and played a very rigid style of footy. Might be one of the reasons that they sacked the bastard?

BennyV

Referee
I don't think Hasler was known for bringing through and developing juniors all that much. And at least in his last few years of coach was very conservative. Remember the dogs last year? They hardy scored any points and played a very rigid style of footy. Might be one of the reasons that they sacked the bastard?
They didn’t have any juniors worth bringing through.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Des Hasler is the man to guide the dragons to a premiership I stil can't believe the dogs sacked him we are talking about a man who has missed one semi final series in 13yrs been to 5 GF and won 2 while doust and the rest of the morons stil stuf around with the idea a water bottle boy might be able to coach if they present him the Australian team , they went after Bellamy but people have short memories once apona time Hasler was ranked his equal and did flog him 40 nil in a gf

Crush

Coach
Des Hasler is the man to guide the dragons to a premiership I stil can't believe the dogs sacked him we are talking about a man who has missed one semi final series in 13yrs been to 5 GF and won 2 while doust and the rest of the morons stil stuf around with the idea a water bottle boy might be able to coach if they present him the Australian team , they went after Bellamy but people have short memories once apona time Hasler was ranked his equal and did flog him 40 nil in a gf
Nah, I think Dean Young or Ben Hornby would be better suited......

red rocket

Juniors
You are right crush hasler is not a coach that develops juniors I have also been told by kids how arrogant he is towards them the best junior he brought through at the dogs was finuicane and he let him go to the storm and resigned t Rex

KiamaSaint

Coach
He had Noel Cleal recruiting for him and the dogs got rid of him along with other staff he brought across from Manly.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes I seem to be doing a lot of dreaming these days. Surely we are due for a good lot of luck soon.

It's a lovely little dream Possum , the type that will keep you warm on those very cold winter nights . But the problem is ( among many ) where is the money coming from ?

I have been wanting Hasler myself , however after reading the many posts on this subjectI , I am now just wondering if in fact we should go in another direction as has been suggested by others , such as Maguire ?

The thing that worries me is , as others have already said , is Dessi's desire for the big names of the NRL to join his teams and thereby overlooking the up and coming juniors . He could very well send the Joint Venture broke , before our current pack of boardroom numbskulls do .

Reactions: jak