What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Emerging Nations World Championship

latingringo101

Juniors
The Emerging Nations World Championship will take place in Sydney this September / October, with up to sixteen nations and multiple regional representative teams set to take part.

Games will be played in venues across Western Sydney, in what is set to be the largest International Rugby League tournament played in 2018.

24129486_933010713531440_6038822756196992416_n.jpg

Confirmed teams

paulmac

Juniors
A few questions-
1.Will the regional teams be in the main tournament?
2.When will the draw be announced?
3.How many domestic players will have to be included? I’ve heard reports of no quota,minimum of 6 & 8.
4.Will matches be live streamed?
5.Does anyone think this could have been part of a RLWC qualifier series? ie We could group the Asian teams together.Winner of that group advances to next stage of not only the ENWC but RLWC qualifying.

latingringo101

Juniors
A few questions-
1.Will the regional teams be in the main tournament?
2.When will the draw be announced?
3.How many domestic players will have to be included? I’ve heard reports of no quota,minimum of 6 & 8.
4.Will matches be live streamed?
5.Does anyone think this could have been part of a RLWC qualifier series? ie We could group the Asian teams together.Winner of that group advances to next stage of not only the ENWC but RLWC qualifying.
1. They'll play against each other in a side tournament. National teams will play for the official ENWC trophy.
2. Not sure, I think they said early 2018.
3. I heard 30% of full squad must be from home competition.
4. Not sure.
5. This was supposed to be originally part of the RLWC tournament as a "2nd tier WC", but due to certain events the RLIF decided to postpone the tournament until 2018.

We don't know if it will return for future WCs

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I believe they'll be Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Asia

Id love to see some of these sides brought into a higher-profile comp...

Obviously not the RLWC, but the World9s or even a smaller 13s tournament would be great. It is a great way to get the game some profile and making these areas a bit more competitive.

The Partisan

The region of Scandanavia was mentioned previously ....wonder if still in the picture ?

Plus is their exact dates set in place ?

latingringo101

Juniors
Id love to see some of these sides brought into a higher-profile comp...

Obviously not the RLWC, but the World9s or even a smaller 13s tournament would be great. It is a great way to get the game some profile and making these areas a bit more competitive.

That's why the regional teams are in a side competition, to help promote the game there and allow the players to represent their region without taking away from the proper international tournament

latingringo101

Juniors
The region of Scandanavia was mentioned previously ....wonder if still in the picture ?

Plus is their exact dates set in place ?
I don't know if Scandinavia are participating. I heard rumours there might be a combined European selected team, but will have to wait for further updates

langpark

First Grade
Scandanavia initially attempted a crowd funding campaign to get the players over, which I believe failed, so the idea was put to bed soon after.

As for talk of domestic players, I'll be impressed if we see a double-digit number of domestics competing (all teams combined)

Evil Homer

Staff member
As for talk of domestic players, I'll be impressed if we see a double-digit number of domestics competing (all teams combined)
They are supposedly enforcing domestic quotas. How the hell that will work with the likes of Niue (population under 2,000) involved is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
Considering it is an emerging nations world cup you'd want as many domestic players as possible.
The irony of having the majority of emerging national players from an established nation... FFS it's irritating to even think about.

Yet I wouldn't be surprised...

Stallion

First Grade
The Emerging Nations World Championship will take place in Sydney this September / October, with up to sixteen nations and multiple regional representative teams set to take part.

Games will be played in venues across Western Sydney, in what is set to be the largest International Rugby League tournament played in 2018.

24129486_933010713531440_6038822756196992416_n.jpg

Confirmed teams

Lets hope the domestic rugby league people give this tournament a positive vibe! The code needs a lift after the shambles of what could/should have been a superlative world cup.

Latest posts