What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Bench
I don't think we will win the comp next year. I do think that if we blood the likes of Lomax and either Matherson Johns, Herbert or even Marsters this year, then by 2019, we may be a genuine premiership chance. I will also add that we should be giving Host and Leilua more game time with the idea of having them seasoned for 2019.
I agree 100%. This will be a transition year to bring some of our juniors through.
2019 will be the start of a new era for us, I hope.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The Dragons website has:
Lomax listed as a centre
Field listed as a halfback
Masters listed as a fullback
Mann listed as a fullback
Garrick listed as a centre

Although I feel its as accurate as a 2 bob watch the info hasbto comebfrom somewhere.

Also, if anyone has looked at the New South Wales cup team there are seven names listed there who are not connected to the top 30 or the development Squad inc: Jack Payne, both Clune bros, TJ Uele, Ryan Fletcher, Jay Gallagher and John Tohi.
Does anyone have any info on how this works, like is it a 2nd tier type thing or just signed to play reserves only?

Dragonslayer
These guy are on 2nd tier contracts.
They can't play nrl unless these is a lot of injuries ( and it would be a lot).
You can ask for expectations if that is the case.
Say you had a year ending injury early and his back up was also gone you could use them if approved.
Also 30 of april is cut of for finalizing the top 30.
So you can make changes till then.
Hope that makes sense.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dragonslayer
These guy are on 2nd tier contracts.
They can't play nrl unless these is a lot of injuries ( and it would be a lot).
You can ask for expectations if that is the case.
Say you had a year ending injury early and his back up was also gone you could use them if approved.
Also 30 of april is cut of for finalizing the top 30.
So you can make changes till then.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks dragonssamy for the info it makes perfect sense.
Good then to see Jack Payne still connected to the club very underrated player probably not NRL srandard but a real tryer.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Thanks dragonssamy for the info it makes perfect sense.
Good then to see Jack Payne still connected to the club very underrated player probably not NRL srandard but a real tryer.

TJ is also not bad.
He has played u 20s for the last 2 years.
If he gets himself fitter he could be handy.
Plenty of mungeral.

watatank

Coach
For Round 1 I'd have

Dufty
Nightingale
Aitken
Lafai
MacDonald

Don't know how people can reasonably expect anything else, not just because of who the coach is but because the younger players are unproven. Form/injuries can dictate how that changes throughout the season. The younger players to earn their place. I'd expect Lomax and Herbert to debut, Garrick an outside chance but seems unlikely.

For Round 1 I'd have

Dufty
Nightingale
Aitken
Lafai
MacDonald

Don't know how people can reasonably expect anything else, not just because of who the coach is but because the younger players are unproven. Form/injuries can dictate how that changes throughout the season. The younger players to earn their place. I'd expect Lomax and Herbert to debut, Garrick an outside chance but seems unlikely.
What about Mann?
Not a junior, tried and tested first grader and better than a few in your list IMO

watatank

Coach
I see Mann more as a backup/utility as far as outside backs go. More suited to fullback/halves. I would prefer to go with the players listed as the starting point (with the information we have) and then go younger when the opportunities come along. If there was any position we could have Mann I think it would be at fullback (not against that) but I think we need to give Dufty a chance.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Lomax has been a standout at training so far, has been absolutely killing it. He's a f**king unit as well, if he's mentally ready for the step up, then I have no doubt he can manage the physicality.

Tom
You nailed it .
Mental preparation and toughness is our whole squads problem.
They need to be mentally tougher .
All of them bar a few.
This is where Graham will help as he is mentally tough.
Also hunt as well.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
Yeah I liked Benny V's assessment that the mental weakness stemmed from McAddled's setting the bar for success too low - it was spot on. That crap washes through the whole team psyche. By comparison the Bulldogs board demands premierships.
The team performed to his low expectations, poor coaching insights and inability to inspire from a man management perspective.

What does it do to a team's defensive psyche when a coach tells them tries from kicks & bombs don't rate FFS?

If Lomax gets the nod early, there's hope for change in 2018. Most of the great backs stepped up at 18.
But if the best preseason performer can't get a run, what's the point of form & effort?
I seem to remember Lafai was the preseason standout & favourite (along with LOVECHILD of course) last year & was guaranteed a start as such. Let's see.

The current 2-5 favourites are deadwood and fringe NRL semifinal material, which is Mc LowIQ's dreary comfort zone.

If they all start again I'll think twice about a long trip to watch them play the Broncs.

FMD how can this roadblock be left in charge of the team when guys like Sheens, Hasler, Toovey, & Henry are sitting in caravan parks up the coast?

Last edited:

Emu01

Juniors
I was talking to a current 1st grade player of the Xmas break and I mentioned Lomax as a great prospect and do you think he will get a start soon.

The 1st grade player said to me “ Na Mary’s not going to give him a run this season next season he will get a start”.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Mary has no idea how to bring new talent through.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Lafai was one of the best attacking centres in the entire NRL last year ... 7 tries and 11 try assists from a centre with a tortoise outside him is compelling .. esp considering defensive lines compressed in on him ...

Lomax at Right centre seems like the ideal place to debut him

I would go

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax/Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Mann

Mann has proven to be an outstanding finisher at left wing ... When he plays there he scores at roughly a try a game - he is up there with Vunivalo stats for scoring .. He is faster than Nightingale and has a footy brain ... We do lose on the kick returns though which Nighty still does better so in this backline Dufty has to run not pass when he fields kicks.

Nene seems lazy and disinterested and when being lazy and disinterested for us still runs an average of 150m per game and proved to be capable of scoring the tough try (Roosters Anzac day). I expect outside a decent right side player (Hunt) that he will become a lot more engaged than we saw in 2017. Also if Mann plays left wing then we will need his DH running more.

Dufty - debuted and even in the last round loss to the doggies was able to link in the backline play as shown in the Nightinale try and support on the inside for his own try. Needs to do more on first plays though ... Give him the start and see how it goes.

I am interested to see how Aitken goes in a better organised attack on the right and a fullback who can link however I wouldn't be against seeing Lomax debut there either.

Mary will pick Dufty/Nene/Aitken/Lafai/Nightingale though and that puts is on the back foot straight away.

BennyV

Referee
I was talking to a current 1st grade player of the Xmas break and I mentioned Lomax as a great prospect and do you think he will get a start soon.

The 1st grade player said to me “ Na Mary’s not going to give him a run this season next season he will get a start”.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Mary has no idea how to bring new talent through.
Not surprising at all - save for an injury crisis he is well down the list in 2018, with Mann, Herbert and Garrick all lined up for spots in the backs. Field will probably be in there too. Lomax is 18 and has never played above NYC, he will get his chance (and I still wouldn't discount him late in the year) so it's hardly a shock that there are more mature and accomplished players ahead of him in the pecking order.

True_Believer

Juniors
Not surprising at all - save for an injury crisis he is well down the list in 2018, with Mann, Herbert and Garrick all lined up for spots in the backs. Field will probably be in there too. Lomax is 18 and has never played above NYC, he will get his chance (and I still wouldn't discount him late in the year) so it's hardly a shock that there are more mature and accomplished players ahead of him in the pecking order.

Crap. Bring him through immediately - Mary has no idea. SACK MARY - has that been said in this thread yet?

mickeylane

Bench
Lafai was one of the best attacking centres in the entire NRL last year ... 7 tries and 11 try assists from a centre with a tortoise outside him is compelling .. esp considering defensive lines compressed in on him ...

Lomax at Right centre seems like the ideal place to debut him

I would go

1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Lomax/Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Mann

Mann has proven to be an outstanding finisher at left wing ... When he plays there he scores at roughly a try a game - he is up there with Vunivalo stats for scoring .. He is faster than Nightingale and has a footy brain ... We do lose on the kick returns though which Nighty still does better so in this backline Dufty has to run not pass when he fields kicks.

Nene seems lazy and disinterested and when being lazy and disinterested for us still runs an average of 150m per game and proved to be capable of scoring the tough try (Roosters Anzac day). I expect outside a decent right side player (Hunt) that he will become a lot more engaged than we saw in 2017. Also if Mann plays left wing then we will need his DH running more.

Dufty - debuted and even in the last round loss to the doggies was able to link in the backline play as shown in the Nightinale try and support on the inside for his own try. Needs to do more on first plays though ... Give him the start and see how it goes.

I am interested to see how Aitken goes in a better organised attack on the right and a fullback who can link however I wouldn't be against seeing Lomax debut there either.

Mary will pick Dufty/Nene/Aitken/Lafai/Nightingale though and that puts is on the back foot straight away.
I'm certain Lomax will start at right centre come round 1
Dufty (field breathing down his neck)
Nightingale
Lomax
Lafai
Mcdonald

Latest posts