What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

cleary89

Coach
My junior club como introduced womens teams this year (league tag) as part of the shire competition. I'm not sure how many other clubs did too but at least a few.

I think they got at least 6 teams together from ages 10-opens. Really good idea, the shire has a strong womens oztag comp but this way it is affiliated with clubs, parents can have both kids playing at the same club. A lot like what AFL has done with netball clubs in victoria. They had an u18s womens tackle side and have posted they want an u18s and womens side this year.

I think they shire comp will see massive growth on the back of female participation.

The only problem is the type of people involved in footy. AFL seems to have business people, nrl has coaches that swear and carry on at 12 year olds.

cleary89

Coach
what role should the NRL play if NSWRL is predominantly responsible for jnr RL? I'm thinking putting KPI's on NRL clubs around school visits etc, marketing of the game generally and game day vouchers for Jnr registered players maybe? What else could/should they be doing?

The school visits only happen 1 day in early February. They should be doing a couple of schools a week or something. As it is now, they have like 10 groups of 3 players and they do 3 schools each so only like 30 schools in the district.

Emu01

Juniors
My junior club como introduced womens teams this year (league tag) as part of the shire competition. I'm not sure how many other clubs did too but at least a few.

I think they got at least 6 teams together from ages 10-opens. Really good idea, the shire has a strong womens oztag comp but this way it is affiliated with clubs, parents can have both kids playing at the same club. A lot like what AFL has done with netball clubs in victoria. They had an u18s womens tackle side and have posted they want an u18s and womens side this year.

I think they shire comp will see massive growth on the back of female participation.

The only problem is the type of people involved in footy. AFL seems to have business people, nrl has coaches that swear and carry on at 12 year olds.

Great initiative having the women’s league tag teams affiliated with the junior clubs, the junior clubs could almost double their numbers if the woman’s game takes off on the back of the woman’s World Cup success.

Every junior club should start up women’s league tag teams from this year onwards as you say cleary89 parents can have their son and daughter playing for the same club making training and game day at the same park or oval.

cleary89

Coach
Another thing como did was they had their own league tag comp on friday nights over summer. Organised refs, got people to nominate teams. Got about 4-6 teams in every age group.

Probably not a big money maker, but has people involved with the club in the off season and brings in people who havent played tackle.

siv

First Grade
Do you think the ownership system for development we have is part of the cause in Sydney? Ie three layers of governance : Leagues clubs/NRL clubs, NSWRL, NRL. I wonder how coordinated the three are?

Sydney NSWRL-NRL clubs are responsible to run and fund their "district" junior operation and junior rep teams. This is their charter with the NSWRL

Stallion

First Grade
Had a chat to a Newcastle Catholic high school sport teacher(an ex rugby league player) over the holidays. He informed that the kids coming through were not rugby league players but mostly union players. They had to do half an hour of play the ball with foot drills in the first training sessions for every age squad.
We also agreed and lamented the fact that the inner city senior district rugby league clubs are not playing anywhere near enough Saturday football. This pro Sunday home game scheduling has negatively impacted on junior player numbers. The "in" code due to its more sociable Saturday seniors game day scheduling is clearly rugby union. After all eventually these kids become young adults and guess what's the best socializing night of the week? Saturday. It's as simple as that. We figured that poor senior RL club administrators prefer Sunday home games as its suits their lifestyle. Unfortunately the main element ,the players, are being neglected both from a recovery welfare and social perspective. It's really common sense. The fundamentals based from poor game day scheduling of local senior district rugby league clubs is damaging the code big time!

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
I have a theory on why we have had a sudden drop off in junior numbers in the last 3 years.

Alex Mckinonn was injured right as junior league was signing kids up and I remember a lot of mothers taking their kids out of League and straight into soccer and the way his injury was played out in the media and replayed thousands of times a lot of mums said no to footy and still are not letting their kids play thus hurting junior numbers..

I personally had two neighbors kids ask me about playing league next year but had to cancel due to their mothers saying no soccer only will be allowed.

why do these soft cock husbands listen to their wives :confused:

did these same stupid women ban their kids from playing cricket after Phil Hughes was killed?

cleary89

Coach
I agree on the Sunday arvo. I know many guys who won't play any more because they can hardly walk on Mondays and it affects work.

Also ruins your Saturday night. I know some clubs are doing Friday night games and stuff. I think it's a great idea.

Stallion

First Grade
I agree on the Sunday arvo. I know many guys who won't play any more because they can hardly walk on Mondays and it affects work.

Also ruins your Saturday night. I know some clubs are doing Friday night games and stuff. I think it's a great idea.

Friday is better than Sunday . Saturday arvo is better than all days for local footy! It gets the local fans and players on board along with making more money at the leagues club etc. This is what Newcastle inner district RL clubs have sadly ignored for over 3 decades. It's now critically affecting junior numbers and local regard for such clubs within their local area.

Stallion

First Grade
Local junior numbers are not fairing well in Newcastle after chatting with some Tag mates yesterday arvo. One said"League is dying" Another is having his ten year old son play AFL this year? (Under the false impression he thinks its tough and he didnt like the Bogans at the nearest junior league club!). Earlier on some other bloke overheard a discussion we were having about local footy and he said " League is crap . Look at all the blokes getting into strife all the time!" I responded " It's a far more inclusive sport to play than union! Look at the sport itself rather than the outside garbage." This "union " player said no more and walked on. .

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
Heres one for you, shows what a liar the bearded one from the commission was.

apparently grass roots RL was promised a large increase to their budget instead in reality it was almost halved.

Stallion

First Grade
Leaguetag should be aggressively marketed to all primary schools! The mums are very keen on it and it gets the kids familiar with rugby league. It's a must for development of the code. Some time ago, I would have recommended touch footy however their lack of 'play the ball with the foot' discipline has reduced its rugby league centric playing style. This matters as crucial ruck nuances in playing rugby league type games are lost.

Last edited:

Emu01

Juniors
The Oztag state titles are being held in Coffs Habour this weekend. Junior league clubs should be there watching and signing up players for the upcoming season. At least have a marquee and some 1st grade players present to help out.

Reactions: Vee

thorson1987

Coach
The Oztag state titles are being held in Coffs Habour this weekend. Junior league clubs should be there watching and signing up players for the upcoming season. At least have a marquee and some 1st grade players present to help out.

A good chance that over 95% of those players already play rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leaguetag should be aggressively marketed to all primary schools! The mums are very keen on it and it gets the kids familiar with rugby league. It's a must for development of the code. Some time ago, I would have recommended touch footy however their lack of 'play the ball with the foot' discipline has reduced its rugby league centric playing style. This matters as crucial ruck nuances in playing rugby league type games are lost.

Totally agree. We talk about the nrl spending and getting bang for the buck. For me if they took $5-10million a year and invested it in a national schools tag program it would be money well spent! You could add in a range of value adds to kids playing in the comps and get them into nrl at an early age across the country. Set a target like 25% of schools participating by 2023.

Stallion

First Grade
Totally agree. We talk about the nrl spending and getting bang for the buck. For me if they took $5-10million a year and invested it in a national schools tag program it would be money well spent! You could add in a range of value adds to kids playing in the comps and get them into nrl at an early age across the country. Set a target like 25% of schools participating by 2023.

Yes. In fact the target should be achieved quicker and more universally than that timeframe. Importantly get the schools that are shunning rugby league involved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes. In fact the target should be achieved quicker and more universally than that timeframe. Importantly get the schools that are shunning rugby league involved.

There’s 4000 plus schools and 4million ish students in Australia. If we could reach 25% of them in the next 5 years we’d be doing very well!

footy75

Bench
I
I personally had two neighbors kids ask me about playing league next year but had to cancel due to their mothers saying no soccer only will be allowed.

That's why soccer is the most popular sport at junior level now. As soon as the Afl saw the threat they banned shirt front's and any head high bumps fines for any melees etc to try get the kids back.. they have a very good junior programme called auskick which is pretty well run.

I was involved in RL in schools in Adelaide for sometime and it was going well, kids loved it. But you could see the growth of soccer.... it is by far the most popular sport at junior level. Not sure what they are doing there now in terms of RL...I moved. Hopefully it is still gaining traction.