What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doust Retires at end of 2018 season

possm

Coach
High-level talks are ongoing with WIN Television and other interested parties in relation to the sale of the Steelers' 50 per cent shareholding in the St George Illawarra Dragons which the board and management are looking to finalise during 2018.

SOURCE / URL LINK: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/09/2018-ceo-business-update/

Could it be that we now have a second suitor interested in buying in to JV ?

If we do, the Gordon family will need to crap or get off the pot !

Hope its true, as we need to change the culture of the JV from the top down.

The Gordon family is already involved at board level and hence I see no real benefit in WIN being the Buyer as Gordon junior seems to be part of the status quo

We want a passionate professional partner with deep pockets and great business acumen.

2018 is going to be a very interesting year.
We need a 100% buy out, not just the Illawarra 50%. In my view most of the problems we face are to do with the St George side of management. Nothing will change if we only sell 50%. As it stands, WIN/Gordon already have a share of the Illawarra side and have stumped up a loan as well. So a buy in of 50% would probably be in the form of shares instead of repayment of loan. If this is true it does nothing for the repayment of the debt to NRL or the up-grade of training facilities to be in-line with the top NRL clubs. Our leagues club will remain in a mess and our number of home games at Kogarah would be unlikely to change. No thanks, we need a buy with billions to spend to take on 100%.

BBTB

Juniors
Well there you go, Bennett liked working with Doust because Doust let him run the football side of things; it seems a formula for success. However, one cannot go past the fact that if Doust acceded to Bennett's original request for a 5 year deal at 750k a season, we may have very well won back to back premierships and most probably not gone through the Price/Mary era. Bennett's 5 year term followed by another top line coach would have seen the Dragons maintain their mantle at the top of the NRL competition. All three decisions in Doust's area of responsibility:
1. A 3 year deal instead of a 5 year deal for Bennett.
2. The appointment and contract extension of Price.
3. The appointment and contract extension of Mary.

On the football side of things, the above 3 decisions have caused the biggest impact on the lack of success of the Dragons football standing in the competition since Bennett advised he was going to Newcastle.

On the Leagues Club matters, Doust has seen the rapid decline of the Taj and the financial fortunes of both the football club and leagues club on his watch; hardly a legacy to be proud of.
Doust is s total fraud...

RedVDragon

Juniors
Bulldogs board overturned...Dib and Co gone....after missing the semi's once since 2011 !!!!!!!!

Pity we cannot instigate the same type of changes.
True pity our weak board and members who support the current board couldn’t overthrow the board and Doust 5 years ago. The dogs with Dib are under performers now they may do something with new faces at the helm. Dib was like Doust too self absorbed in himself. It was all about him not the broader organisation.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
True pity our weak board and members who support the current board couldn’t overthrow the board and Doust 5 years ago. The dogs with Dib are under performers now they may do something with new faces at the helm. Dib was like Doust too self absorbed in himself. It was all about him not the broader organisation.

Undoubted similarities to dragons ........dysfunctional, underperformance, substandard mgt, etc etc

Difference is they take action, although the jury is out on whether they have replaced one problem with another??

getsmarty

Immortal
Undoubted similarities to dragons ........dysfunctional, underperformance, substandard mgt, etc etc

Difference is they take action, although the jury is out on whether they have replaced one problem with another??

Point being they miss the semis once and take action...We make them once since 2011 and then re-sign a Rookie coach in the belief that things will change LOL.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Can you post the article? DOnt want to subscribe to that toilet-paper-substitute.

If this is the case, then we are f**king doomed.

St George Dragons great Mark Coyne has ruled himself out of contention for St George Illawarra’s top job
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
February 15, 2018 7:20pm

ST GEORGE Dragons great Mark Coyne has ruled himself out of contention for St George Illawarra’s top job.

Coyne, who was the joint venture’s first skipper back in 1999, was considered the favourite to replace Peter Doust as chief executive, given his successful transition into the corporate world following a decorated playing career for his club and Queensland.

But Coyne has distanced himself from reports he was in line to rejoin the club as CEO when Doust walks away after nearly two decades in charge, at the end of the 2018 NRL season.

a0e33eb00fb0568e31990c2282cd2bb3

Mark Coyne has his hands full elsewhere. (Michael Amendolia)
“I’m not interested in the Dragons CEO role as I am very committed to my current business and they probably need someone who has more operational experience in running a football operation,” Coyne said.

Coyne has been chief executive of Employers Mutual Limited since 2012 and those in rugby league land predict he will one day run the NRL, or at the very least hold a prominent seat on the ARL Commission.

Coyne returned briefly to the Dragons in 2016 to help review the club’s performance.

8d09fedfb84433dc9aae3de72cc0c29e

The former Dragon won’t be back at his old club.
He is not expecting to play a role in appointing Doust’s replacement.

“I haven’t been asked to be part of process and again there are probably better qualified people than me who can run with this,” Coyne said.

“I have great confidence in chairman Brian Johnston and know he will select the right fit for the club.”

BennyV

Referee
St George Dragons great Mark Coyne has ruled himself out of contention for St George Illawarra’s top job

ST GEORGE Dragons great Mark Coyne has ruled himself out of contention for St George Illawarra’s top job.

Coyne, who was the joint venture’s first skipper back in 1999, was considered the favourite to replace Peter Doust as chief executive, given his successful transition into the corporate world following a decorated playing career for his club and Queensland.

But Coyne has distanced himself from reports he was in line to rejoin the club as CEO when Doust walks away after nearly two decades in charge, at the end of the 2018 NRL season.

“I’m not interested in the Dragons CEO role as I am very committed to my current business and they probably need someone who has more operational experience in running a football operation,” Coyne said.

Coyne has been chief executive of Employers Mutual Limited since 2012 and those in rugby league land predict he will one day run the NRL, or at the very least hold a prominent seat on the ARL Commission.

Coyne returned briefly to the Dragons in 2016 to help review the club’s performance.

“I haven’t been asked to be part of process and again there are probably better qualified people than me who can run with this,” Coyne said.

“I have great confidence in chairman Brian Johnston and know he will select the right fit for the club.”
Ok, so there's no mention of McDonald? At least thats a glimmer of hope...

Carlton

Juniors
Yeah & apparently Gordon’s son will make the decision which doesn’t fill me with great hope

If the club is going to move forward as a professional organisation it needs to appoint an external candidate. I know I have said that I am not for or against a WIN/Gordon buyout because I dont have enough of the details to make an informed decision. However, now I am becoming more convinced that it is not going to be in the best interests of St George and the finger prints of the Gordon family seem to be everywhere. If a deal is being arranged, it has been going on for a protracted time and no details have been provided. This is a worry as whenever the cub has acted like this in the past it was because it was something the fans would not like (eg. appointment of coaches). Makes me worry what is being agreed to with the NRL.

possm

Coach

We need a buyer for 100% of the Club. A 50% buy in from WIN / Gordon will do very little to improve the situation and could actually accelerate the NRL's wish for the Dragons to move all operations to the gong.

Coffs dragon

Bench
If this puppet of a bloke Michael McDonald is the leading candidate to take over from Doust, then we are in serious trouble.
This is his prediction some 5 years ago and is nothing more than BS and spin.....sounds familiar. If he currently manages the Marketing and promotion of game day, then know wonder we are screwed & he really should leave with Mr Doust.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1991842/red-v-targets-membership-of-40000/

BennyV

Referee
If this puppet of a bloke Michael McDonald is the leading candidate to take over from Doust, then we are in serious trouble.
This is his prediction some 5 years ago and is nothing more than BS and spin.....sounds familiar. If he currently manages the Marketing and promotion of game day, then know wonder we are screwed & he really should leave with Mr Doust.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1991842/red-v-targets-membership-of-40000/
That assclown is the perfect candidate for our board. He is someone they can trust to fall in line, is an absolute spin-master (rivalling Doust himself) and nowhere near competent to take over as CEO, thus not being able to make the board members looks like the bunch of plebs that they are. He's an absolute shoo-in.

And of course, much like the ascension of McGregor, many of the window-lickers in our fan base will be cheering because he bleeds red and white, knows our system and is anyone but Doust.

Latest posts