What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

insert.pause

First Grade
He honestly should have just resigned after saying seagulls and hawks...

I still cannot fathom, how he said those names.
Not only that, he was reading from a prepared release, obviously some numbnut consultant wrote it and Grant was ignorant enough not to know it was wrong.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/p...tter-with-corporate-australia-20180215-h0w6pp

Peter Beattie: rugby league will do better with corporate Australia

by John Stensholt

It wouldn't be rugby league without an off-field stoush to match the robust physical nature of the sport on the field.

The Australian Rugby League Commission, the body that administers the sport and oversees the hugely successful State of Origin series and the National Rugby League, will on Wednesday hold its annual general meeting. Among the agenda items is a vote on constitutional tweaks that will significantly change the number and identity of commissioners.

Or, being rugby league, it may not.

The sport attempted to follow the path of the AFL six years ago after News Limited and the then Australian Rugby League agreed to give up their joint ownership of the code in Australia, establishing an independent commission to run the game.

Since then the sport has signed record broadcast deals and it has more money than ever before. But it has also featured big and at times ugly battles with the clubs over money. Then late last year it struck an agreement – which would end the element of complete independence – for two NRL club-nominated directors to join the commission and in addition a representative each from the Queensland and NSW state bodies. Or so many thought.

That would give the 10-person board six independent directors, two from clubs and one each from NSW and Queensland.

Which brings us to Wednesday's meeting.

'We can improve by truly making them partners in the game'

The mooted changes may not happen after all: a group of clubs are opposed to the state-based seats, because it would give the states too much power, at the expense of the clubs. It only takes two clubs to block the process, which would send everything back to square one and at least for now stop the ascent of the two club nominees, Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys and Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz, to the commission.

But Peter Beattie, who is slated to replace John Grant, the former Data3 chief executive and Australian international, as ARLC chairman, insists rugby league can emerge from yet another off-field stoush.

The key is the commission's relationship with the clubs, which once went close to getting Grant removed. Beattie believes he can do a better job of forging a closer relationship between the clubs and head office.

"We can improve by truly making them partners in the game," he tells The Australian Financial Review. " That work has already begun but we can't be at war with our closest stakeholder like we have been in the past. That was disastrous for the image of the game, so I am determined to work with them from day one. I don't have any baggage and for now I've got all their goodwill. I'm determined to keep it."

Beattie says he's been in constant communication with the chairs of all 16 NRL clubs and intends to do plenty of travelling this year. Most well-known for his nine-year stint as Queensland Premier until 2007, Beattie and his wife have moved to Sydney and their grandchildren live in Melbourne. He is chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Yet in comments published in the Sydney Morning Herald on the weekend, outgoing chair Grant said the commission lacked understanding of how rugby league worked. When asked to describe the inner machinations of the sport, he said: "The battle for money and power; hating, not trusting; club first, game second; winning at all costs; unholy alliances based on favours and self-interest; and manipulating the media."

Cashing in on corporate potential

So is Beattie walking into a full-blown constitutional crisis that may even overshadow the beginning of the NRL season in early March?

"Not necessarily. If they need to take some more time to sort things out that is fine. There's not animosity there and I'm pretty confident the game can go forward in the right manner. There are [other] options on the table."

In rugby league nothing off the field is easy. The game lags behind the AFL in the hearts of minds of many Australians, and in particular those in the corporate sector. The NRL's non-commercial revenue was $147 million in 2017, far below that of the AFL.

Beattie says the sport will do a better job connecting with corporates from the top of the game to the bottom, and bringing in more money. "Our game is the top rating show on television year in, year out. We should be able to lock in more sponsors, including top 40 companies.

"I have made it clear that I don't want deficits in the years ahead. At the very worst I want to break even after distributions. We will only do that if we find more revenue streams."

That mentality has already led to the signing of a lucrative deal to take a State of Origin match to Adelaide in 2020, after Melbourne this year and Perth next. The NRL could also also add more clubs in the future, maybe in Perth and another in Brisbane. "We will expand," says Beattie firmly.

First comes solving the constitutional issues and the relationship with clubs. Beattie will need all his political skills to get that sorted before acting on his vision for the game's future.
This wanker has been writing his pro AFL, anti NRL stuff for years. More of the same. Probably thinks AFLX was a wonderful success as well - rather than a steaming free entry turd.

Stallion

First Grade
Glad you asked..... I thinks it hilarious that the clubs have portrayed the commission over the past couple years as inept yet the clubs themselves can’t decide on constitutional reform after close to a year of putting it together. Childish, selfish, agenda driven clubland at it again.

Agree. The clubs had better wake up to themselves! Their lack of proactive targeted commitment to junior development is a concerning tale of their tenure in recent decades. Some clubs are ok but most are very underwhelming.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Why the f**k would Beattie show Rothfield the games financial information every three months? The fat f**k probably can't even count to potato. The clubs have a right to know, the states have a right to know, and they will, in commission meetings from their representatives. For everyone else we will find out annually in the AR. It's not "the games secrets", it's just none of News corps business, something that after five years they still can't comprehend.

I heard Beattie has also promised pressers after every commission meeting.

If Beattie can get the clubs to agree to the new Constitution and expand the game nationally, he will have done in less than 5 years ,what the code hasn't done in 23 years.
Gallop was going to fish where the fish were.Trouble is he couldn't find the right bait nor the right gear.
News as part owners ,couldn't give a stuff about fishing.
Grant in the end was like a fish out of water.
Hence why the code is where it is today .

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/b3c65ae16b59dcffde7de15b282d25dd

Storm chairman offers hope that NRL reform is not dead

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM February 22, 2018
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
Bart Campbell has been painted as the stumbling block to constitutional reform but the Melbourne chairman yesterday indicated the gap between the Storm and fellow clubs may not be that wide.

And Campbell has promised Peter Beattie a warm reception as the freshly minted ARL Commission chairman prepares to travel to Victoria to head off the latest outbreak of civil unrest in the code.

A vote on reform, which would have resulted in the clubs and states being given two representatives apiece on a 10-person commission, was yesterday postponed until March 12 after the Storm, Gold Coast and Canterbury indicated they were reluctant to support the proposed changes.

With only two clubs required to reject reform, the clubs and ARL Commission had little choice but to delay the vote. Beattie, who was confirmed as the game’s new chair yesterday, has been charged with resolving the latest divide in the code and has already set up meetings with the boards of the Storm, Bulldogs and Titans as he attempts to broker a resolution.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will also attend the meetings, the two confident they can resolve the reform impasse and usher in a new era of peace across the code.

Campbell has given them hope, although it is understood he harbours concerns over the diminished independence of the commission under the proposed changes.

Under the existing proposal, the 10-person commission would retain six independents alongside two state and two club representatives. Campbell suggested the commission should be increased to 12 members at yesterday’s meeting, with the number of independents increased to eight, but support was in short supply. By day’s end, the process was at the crossroads.

“Melbourne Storm want constitutional reform,” Campbell said. “Melbourne Storm, led by me, had constitutional reform put into the MOU (agreed to in 2016). The constitutional reform that was enshrined in the MOU is not the constitutional reform that is before everyone today.

“Having said that, if what is being proposed has a couple of tweaks we will support it. Peter Beattie will get a warm reception down at our place.”

Canterbury chair Lynne Anderson also confirmed her board could yet support changes, their reluctance to do so yesterday having more to do with their short time in charge of the club.

Anderson and her fellow directors took charge less than a fortnight ago, leaving them precious little time to digest the reform proposal. “We have been at the table five minutes,” Anderson said. “More than any club we need just to get our heads around it.”

There had been whispers that Anderson was also reluctant to support the changes due to the poor state of her relationship with Bulldogs great George Peponis, who is due to join the commission as the NSW Rugby League representative.

“That is just wrong,” Anderson said. “It has nothing to do with George at all. I have spent a week trying to canvas as much information as I can. This is one decision your don’t want to make after five minutes at the table.”

The postponed vote means the club representatives — Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys and prominent Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz — must bide their time before joining the commission. Both remain committed to taking a place on the commission, V’landys confirming as much to The Australian.

“I’m committed because through this the clubs have shown great faith in me,” V’landys said.

“I don’t want to let them down. Peter Beattie has also kept me informed on the entire situation with the commission. I’m very appreciative of the transparency and courtesy he has shown throughout this process. He has already displayed great leadership.”

Much will rely on Beattie, who has been active behind the scenes in trying to smooth the path to reform. South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas, who has been working feverishly on behalf of the clubs, remains confident Beattie’s unifying influence will bring the code together.

Beattie too remains optimistic that he can unite the code. “What the clubs have requested me to do in partnership with Todd, is also the same request from NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues — they have asked me to talk to three clubs who still have some matters they want to discuss in terms of the rule changes,” Beattie said.

“I have agreed to do that. I will be meeting with the Titans, the Bulldogs and Melbourne. We will be holding another meeting at 10am on March 12. In between, Todd and I will be attending meetings with all the directors and the boards to explain exactly how the rules would work and to answer any of their concerns.

“There was a lot of goodwill in the room. It’s not going to be easy, it is an important step. I am very happy we’re not rushing it to be honest.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/9c2f35622548fdf38c55b7990de1b9ab

Beattie’s first step is getting more women in power

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM February 22, 2018
  • Brent Read
Peter Beattie began his tenure as ARL Commission chairman by discussing the role of women in the game. More pointedly, the need to involve more of them, particularly in positions of power.

To that end, he plans to appoint another female commissioner in the near future, possibly within months. The plan is for one of the existing commissioners to stand down — most likely Chris Sarra — and for a woman to join the current independents.

Women will be at the centre of the game and play a tangible role in determining the way forward. Coincidentally, a pair of women could shape Beattie’s initial months at the apex of rugby league.

Constitutional reform stumbled at the first hurdle yesterday, the vote postponed after three of the 16 clubs indicated they were ready to vote against changes that would have resulted in the states and clubs being given two representatives apiece on a 10-person commission.

Melbourne’s decision to reject the reformation process was widely expected. Chairman Bart Campbell has myriad concerns and no amount of coercing was going to convince him to change his mind.

Anyone who saw his speech at departing chair John Grant’s farewell the previous night would have realised that Campbell was in no mood for pleasantries.

Campbell, chosen to speak on behalf of the clubs at a night to honour Grant’s contribution to the game, spoke about rugby league’s over-reliance on poker machine revenue.

He branded the NRL’s $150 million investment in digital as a “big bet”. At one point, a member of the selective audience yelled out: “bullshit”.

Campbell was on a roll. He didn’t miss a beat. One heckler wasn’t going to throw him. Nor was he ready to back down yesterday morning as he was confronted by some of his fellow clubs over his stance on constitutional reform.

Campbell and the Storm are of the opinion that the proposed changes, which would result in four of the 10 commissioners being representatives of the states and clubs, drift too far from independence.

When he suggested the commission should consider adding an additional two independents, taking the total to 12, one of his fellow chairs countered by suggesting that would dilute the influence of the clubs.

That’s the point. The last thing rugby league needs is for the clubs to have their hands on the tiller. So vehement was Campbell, there are clubs who question whether he can be convinced to back reform. The view among some is that Beattie may be wasting his time by travelling to Melbourne, although Campbell insists his club is willing to listen and still wants constitutional reform.

Gold Coast and Canterbury were the other clubs to demur and they could ultimately hold the key to reform being approved. Titans co-owner Rebecca Frizelle and Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson know each other well. Anderson was formerly on the board of the Gold Coast when Frizelle was the chair.

Frizelle, although no longer chair, has and will have a decisive say in the Titans’ stance on reform. Anderson has only been in the job a matter of weeks and last night told The Australian it was simply too early for her board to form a view on such a significant change to the game.

The delay was welcomed not just by Anderson, but her board. She wasted no time setting up a meeting with Beattie to discuss the proposal, although the need for haste was amplified by the fact both Anderson and the ARL Commission chair have plenty on their plate.

Beattie is also the chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, which begins in a matter of weeks. Anderson is the chief executive of the Australian Paralympic Committee and will depart for the winter games in early-March.

Time is of the essence given the new vote will be conducted on March 12. Regardless, it appears if Beattie is to score an early and emphatic victory in his nascent days as ARL Commission chair, winning the support of some of the game’s most respected and intelligent women will be crucial.

You get the feeling Beattie wouldn’t want it any other way.

“The female chairs I know can more than hold their own,” Beattie said. “They are tough, they are smart, they are intelligent people. These are really clever women. I don’t think any of them are intimidated. These are not shrinking violets.

“Any organisation or sport that these days doesn’t engage women, doesn’t have a future. Any sport that doesn’t engage women is doomed.

“I want to see an increasing role for women in the game. I can tell you regardless of what happens to the constitutional changes, the next person who is appointed from one of the current independents will be a woman.

“I have already discussed that with the commissioners and that will happen at the appropriate time. I will manage that with respect. We all know we have to expand the role of women in the game.”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
My guesses:
Storm - Not represented by NSWRL or QRL and rightly had some problems with that
Dogs - Hadnt had time to read the report and would back anything that might f*ck em later (also, maybe just the new guy flexing)
Titans - Dunno, maybe worried that the QRL is just a stooge of the Broncos

But given there was no vote, i doubt these were the only clubs with problems. I assume the Warriors would have the same reservations about the NSWRL/QRL reps.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I had heard all this in 2012 when clubs,Ceo/commission and media said, the commission would usher in a new era. Look where we are in 2018. I’m just waiting for Beattie to be blindsided, hung out to dry, Misquoted, leaked meetings in the paper and then see if he prefers to work with the clubs. History is a good insight into the future. I’m not sure if Beattie is nieve or truely understands the issues in our game but I really really hope I’m wrong for the sake of rugby league.

beave

Coach
‘More women running the game’

See this attitude f**king shits me. This day and age, I couldn’t give a shit who is in charge (male/female) just put in the absolute best person for the job

If that means a whole board is female, so be it. All male, again, so be it.

This quota bullshit for the sake of it is ridiculous. Have a look at the Tiges with Marina Go. Absolute muppet and has NFI, look at the state of that club over the last few years with her there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It can't be until new tv deal kicks in, and only if that deal is greater, the game can't afford it before then.

People thought Grant was too hands on & always looking for the spotlight, they ain't seen nothin yet! Beattie thinks he's Premier again, I will bet we will hear more from him than we will Greenberg.

Depends if the NRL puts some away each year for first 3/4 years they could fund expansion in 4 years ready for the sale in the new deal, or even sell or deliver the ninth game themselves to test out their new expensive digital capability.

New clubs will likely need 2 years lead in so we could see announcements in 2 years of new clubs chosen. The next TV deal is likely to commence negotiations late 2021 so we have to have expansion to sell in reality by then even if the ninth game hasn't yet started. Last TV deal the NRL got an advance to bail out clubs, hopefully wont be needed next time and an advance could be used to cover ninth games costs in 2022.

2019 confirm expansion of two teams
2020 Bids assessed and teams chosen
2021 Clubs launched in second tier if not already there
2022 Ninth game added to schedule with two new clubs entering NRL
2023 New mega $ TV deal commences with nine game content

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
‘More women running the game’

See this attitude f**king shits me. This day and age, I couldn’t give a shit who is in charge (male/female) just put in the absolute best person for the job

If that means a whole board is female, so be it. All male, again, so be it.

This quota bullshit for the sake of it is ridiculous. Have a look at the Tiges with Marina Go. Absolute muppet and has NFI, look at the state of that club over the last few years with her there.

Sadly we are still having to put in artificial constructs to overcome centuries of imbalance and prejudice. Eventually your wish will be granted but its probably a decade or so away yet. Given the significant number of top companies run by women a 10% representation on the commission is very non reflective of the female talent out there wouldn't you say?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expand or die, warns new league boss
21st Feb 2018 6:33 PM
NEW Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie has a simple message for the NRL: expand or die.

Beattie wasted little time putting expansion back on the table on his first day on the job on Wednesday after replacing outgoing chair John Grant at the ARLC AGM.

Crucial to his vision will be establishing a national footprint, with the NRL to seriously consider entering new territories for the first time since the end of the Super League war.

"The vision of the game is really simple; we have to expand,” Beattie said.

"We are in a very competitive environment for entertainment. You've got to be flexible and have a strategy.

"When you've got that level of competition you need to do that. The game needs to expand or it will die.”

The NRL hasn't added any teams to the competition since they brought the Gold Coast back in 2007, while the last real influx of new regions was between 1995 and 1998, namely Perth, Melbourne, Auckland and Adelaide.

Critically, Beattie insists no current teams will face relocation as part of his vision.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/expand-or-die-warns-new-league-boss/3341949/

Bit of Frank Keating re that quote from Peter Beattie. We can do without the dramatics of the game 'will die'. It's shit as has been proven time and time again for 123 years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...m/news-story/ec6f62cf5ac06030b6d3011ba7e40b6a

Peter Beattie looking to mediate on ARL Commission reform

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM February 24, 2018
  • Brent Read
ARL Commission chair Peter Beattie extended an olive branch in the midst of the heated debate over constitutional reform earlier this week, by offering to add Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys and a state representative to the game’s peak body as independents.

The Weekend Australian understands Beattie was open to a range of options but with talks heading down a cul-de-sac, he told the clubs and states he was happy to have V’landys join the commission with immediate effect.

The states — the chairs of the Queensland and NSW Rugby Leagues would have joined the commission had reform been successful this week — would also have been appeased with the addition of an independent representative on their behalf.

However, it is understood the vast majority of clubs and states felt it was better to exhaust all avenues on the proposed reform before taking that route.

V’landys, who was kept informed of the process by Beattie and chief executive Todd Greenberg during a sometimes toxic meeting involving the clubs and states, has been happy to bide his time out of loyalty to the clubs for his selection as their representative, even though joining the commission as an independent could in the long run give him the opportunity to succeed Beattie as chair.

That could still happen, as it is understood Melbourne and the Gold Coast harbour major — and potentially irrevocable — concerns over the current proposal for constitutional reform which would result in the states and clubs having two representatives apiece on a 10-person commission.

Storm chair Bart Campbell is expected to continue pushing for the commission to be increased to 12 representatives, made up of eight independents along with the state and club representatives. It is believed he holds genuine fears over the commission’s independence being eroded under the existing proposal to the point where clubs could eventually seize control of the body.

It is understood Campbell is also concerned over the 6-2-2 representation, given it was never considered when constitutional reform was worked into a memorandum of understanding between the clubs and the commission two years ago.

At that time, it is believed the game was planning to explore two potential structures. One of those was a nine-person commission with six independents, two club representatives and one state representative.

That structure was changed after a group including South Sydney chair Nick Pappas, Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis and deposed Canterbury chair Ray Dib made a secret visit to Queensland to meet with then QRL powerbrokers early last year.

The other alternative was the AFL model, which is made up of eight independents, but allows officials to step down from their club duties one day and join the commission the next day.

As it stands, club officials in the NRL must wait three years before joining the commission as independents.

Beattie will begin meeting directors of those clubs as early as next week as he attempts to mediate a resolution. He remains optimistic the clubs and states will find a way forward, although it may mean the proposal undergoes another facelift before the vote is set to take place on March 12.

While some clubs are desperate to have representation on the commission, along with the states, it is understood some other clubs would be open to the AFL model.

Under that structure, V’landys could still join the commission. So too could the other representative chosen by the clubs — prominent Sydney lawyer Glen Selikowitz.

QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher and his NSW counterpart George Peponis would also remain in contention to join the commission, although they would be required to stand down from their positions on their respective boards.

Adopting the AFL model would also potentially eliminate one of the major concerns of the club chairs — a lack of club experience on the commission.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl model makes sense but I doubt the clubs will feel it gives them the power they are seeking.